Windows 10: New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

Discus and support New External Drive not visible in "This PC" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My new external Toshiba drive (Disk 1) does not show up under "This PC." The drive is connected with a USB3.0 cable to a USB 3.1 port on the pc. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by battlezone, Jan 24, 2018.

1. New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

My new external Toshiba drive (Disk 1) does not show up under "This PC." The drive is connected with a USB3.0 cable to a USB 3.1 port on the pc. I can see it in the Taskbar via the icon that I turned on (Safely Remove HArdware). I can see the drive also in the Device Manager. I also can eject the drive, because I see it in the taskbar under the Safely Remove Hardware icon.

I did this: run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter or the Windows USB Troubleshooter and check if it helps. It did not help.
    Next, I followed some online advice and I initialized the drive. Because it's a 5TG drive I chose GPT. not MBR.

I do not see a formatting option. Supposedly, in Computer Mangement, if I right-click on the disk I can choose to format. I don't see that option.

Please advise me how to make my new drive show up in This PC.

If it matters, the drive is a Toshiba X300 5TB.

I apologize for all my questions, but I am new to the pc world.

The picture below is only to demonstrate that I do not see the option to format the drive.

New External Drive not visible in "This PC" [​IMG]

:)

battlezone, Jan 24, 2018

2. " Nokia Simple " theme - where it this theme?

hi,

Some days ago on page
    http://ea.mobile.nokia.com/content/spin/ea/6120c/en/theme/index.xhtml
    or in phone (nokia 6120c) themes/general/download themes/ was very cool theme (light cream white, black fonts) " Nokia Simple ", now its dissapear from this site. Where i can get it?
    or maybe somebody has it and could send to me.

thx

szympek123, Jan 24, 2018
  3. okinawa---01, Jan 24, 2018
  4. New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

You need to format the disk by right clicking Unallocated space from Disk Management console.

FreeBooter, Jan 24, 2018
  5. Alright. There is a Volume Wizard. It asks me to mount in an empty NTFS folder. I have no idea where that folder should go.

New External Drive not visible in "This PC" [​IMG]

battlezone, Jan 24, 2018
  6. Select Assign the following drive letter checkbox and select a drive letter for the new partition.

FreeBooter, Jan 24, 2018
  7. Alright, I got to the point where I could format to NTFS. I guess this will take quite a while. I will report later if I can now see th drive. Thanks again!

battlezone, Jan 24, 2018
  8. New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

One thought has just occurred to me. Should I have partitioned the drive before formatting it? It's probably safer and also quicker to access data if the 5TB drive is partitioned?

battlezone, Jan 24, 2018
  9. You already partition the drive its up to you how many partition you want to create i have a 2TB drive i have only single partition as i said its up to you.

FreeBooter, Jan 24, 2018
  10. Thanks. The formatting process is still going.

battlezone, Jan 24, 2018
  11. Thanks for the rep!

Next time when you format the drive select Quick format there is a option for Quick format.

FreeBooter, Jan 24, 2018
  12. I was wondering about "format" versus "quick format." I searched online and everyone and their grandmother has a different opinion on it. Heated arguments tend to break out over this topic. I didn't want to cause any unrest here. After 12 hours, the drive is 69% formatted.

battlezone, Jan 24, 2018
  13. spunk Win User

New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

The main difference between Format and Quick Format is that Format (ie) Full Format, checks for bad sectors on the HDD. If it finds a bad sector, it will mark this as Bad and alert Windows to not save data to it. The reason it takes longer is because it has to go thru it sector by sector. If a drive is brand new, there is no reason to do a Full Format, as the drive should have all good sectors. But there is no harm in it. If a Full Format takes more then several hours, like overnight, then there are a lot of Bad Sectors. Make plans to replace the HDD.
    A Quick Format is used if you are preparing a brand new drive for the first time. Or you just want to erase the Headers of the files that were previously on the drive and overwrite the data with new files.

spunk, Jan 24, 2018
  14. That's a brand-new external drive. Again, I read conflicting information online. Many sources say it's common that a new multi-TB drive can take up to 30 hours to be formatted.

Obvious;y I do not like the idea of a brand-new drive having bad sectors. Is there any way I can find out specifically how many bad sectors are on this drive?

battlezone, Jan 24, 2018
  15. When a hard disk is manufactured, there are areas on the platter that will have bad sectors. During the test phases of a hard disk at the factory, the platters are scanned and all the bad sectors are mapped out. When a user buys a brand new hard disk or computer, they will most likely be completely unaware that the drive contains bad sectors because they are 'mapped out' using the 'translator' algorithms.

FreeBooter, Jan 24, 2018
Thema:

New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

1. New External Drive not visible in "This PC" - Similar Threads - External Drive visible

2. Drive not visible , new install Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive not visible , new install Win 10: I have just installed Win 10 on an SSD that is divided in half, on a machine with 2 other OS installed on separate drives. The 2nd half of the drive ' Storage' is not visible in the new OS install, but can be seen in the other OS when booted.I have copied files to the storage...
  3. Drive not visible , new install Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive not visible , new install Win 10: I have just installed Win 10 on an SSD that is divided in half, on a machine with 2 other OS installed on separate drives. The 2nd half of the drive ' Storage' is not visible in the new OS install, but can be seen in the other OS when booted.I have copied files to the storage...
  4. Drive not visible , new install Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unable to connect to external drive with new PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to connect to external drive with new PC: Connected external hitachi drive to new windows 10 PC, Disk Management indicates Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized. External hard drive functions correctly on my old windows 10 PC. Able to use thumb drive on new PC. tried to initial drive, received following error: The request...
  6. Why is the external D drive only visible sometimes?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Why is the external D drive only visible sometimes?: Hi Can anyone advise why my external d drive does not show in file explorer unless I have a particular disc inserted? Mostly the drive is not visible at all but is obviously working....
  7. External hdd not visible?

External hdd not visible?: I have this external hdd that isn't visible in Windows 10 no matter how I formatted it or how many partitions it has. I've installed both Windows and Linux on it not dual OS to try the hdd in another laptop and it works like a charm. But when connected to my laptop usb...
  8. external hard drive not visible

in Windows 10 Customization
    external hard drive not visible: I have acquired a disk caddy with the intention of using an old hard drive as a back-up drive but have found that although the arrangement works perfectly in my laptop it is totally invisible in my desktop. There is no ping when switched on and does not appear in device...
  9. External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer: My WD Element HDD is not working after I plug it in to my WDTV unit. I tried to recover my files using PW but I'm unable recover it can anyone please help me.. How it shows in Explorer [img] but it does not appear in Disk Management [img] HDD is visible in...
  10. External hard drive not visible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not visible: Hi all, I have a 3TB external hard drive plugged in to my pc. I use it to stream movies and music to a couple of media players in the house via our wifi network. Recently it has disappeared from my view on the pc. When I plug it in via usb, nothing happens, yet when I plug...