Windows 10: New HD, Now Can't Reactivate Windows 10

Discus and support New HD, Now Can't Reactivate Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My HD failed, so did a clean install on a new hard drive. Windows says it can't activate. I clicked on that I had new hardware. Seems I did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimlau, Aug 18, 2017.

1. jimlau Win User

New HD, Now Can't Reactivate Windows 10

My HD failed, so did a clean install on a new hard drive. Windows says it can't activate.

I clicked on that I had new hardware. Seems I did not use a Microsoft account when I originally installed.

What can I do? Do I have to contact Microsoft? If so, how?

Thanks.

My HD failed, so did a clean install on a new hard drive. Windows says it can't activate.

I clicked on that I had new hardware. Seems I did not use a Microsoft account when I originally installed.

What can I do? Do I have to contact Microsoft

What can I do? Do I have to contact Microsoft? If so, how?

Thanks.

:)

jimlau, Aug 18, 2017

2. Changed MotherBoard CPU and Memory Now can't reactivate

My old Evga 780i bit the dust and had to buy new MotherBoard, CPU and Memory and now i can't reactivate window 10.

Jerry Thurman, Aug 18, 2017
  3. JoeNamco Win User
    installing windows 10 after format and activate it again if installed by the upgrade

I have replace dozens of HD's and never had to call to get reactivated, as Windows 10 uses a digital entitlement system meaning once it has been activated you can replace the hard drive and install the same version and it will auto activate once it goes
    online, now motherboards you will need to get a new key.

JoeNamco, Aug 18, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Are you sure you reinstalled correct edition i.e. normal, N (EU) or SL version. It needs to match original install to activate.

cereberus, Aug 18, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. Here's a link for help and to all the activation errors. It has a "Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change" category there.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ivation-errors

To contact MS; This will get you a local office: Find a Microsoft Office Near Me | Location Finder | Microsoft

MS live chat: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ > Tap "Get started" > Type "Live chat" in the next window that appears.

Tony K, Aug 18, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    If all you've done is change the hard drive it should activate automatically (assuming of course that it was activated before). The hard drive does not count as a significant hardware change.

Also, you must install the same edition (Home or Pro) as you had before. Your digital licence held on Microsoft's activation servers is only valid for one of them.

Neither did I, but I have successfully swapped out a hard drive and done a clean install that activated as soon as it could connect to the activation servers.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New HD, Now Can't Reactivate Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't Reactivate

2. Changed motherboard, can't reactivate Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed motherboard, can't reactivate Windows 11: I recently changed my motherboard and want to reactivate Windows 11. When I click "troubleshoot" in "Activation", it says "troubleshooting has completed. We can't activate your copy of Windows. Make sure you're connected to the internet and try again.."The internet is...
  3. Changed motherboard, can't reactivate Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed motherboard, can't reactivate Windows 11: I recently changed my motherboard and want to reactivate Windows 11. When I click "troubleshoot" in "Activation", it says "troubleshooting has completed. We can't activate your copy of Windows. Make sure you're connected to the internet and try again.."The internet is...
  4. Can't reactivate Windows 11

Can't reactivate Windows 11: i recently made a new computer with all new hardware and intended to move my Windows install/license to it. my previous computer was running Windows 10, The new computer supports Windows 11 so I upgraded soon after switching. It's now saying it can't reactivate Windows...
  5. Can't reactivate Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate Windows 11: i recently made a new computer with all new hardware and intended to move my Windows install/license to it. my previous computer was running Windows 10, The new computer supports Windows 11 so I upgraded soon after switching. It's now saying it can't reactivate Windows...
  6. "We can't reactivate Windows from these devices"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "We can't reactivate Windows from these devices": I have completely changed hardware new motherboard, new processor, etc. Formatted the SSD where Windows was installed and installed it fresh.Now I cannot install it. I am logged in with the same MS account that was in the previous one, but when I launch the trouble shooter...
  7. "We can't reactivate Windows from these devices"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "We can't reactivate Windows from these devices": I have completely changed hardware new motherboard, new processor, etc. Formatted the SSD where Windows was installed and installed it fresh.Now I cannot install it. I am logged in with the same MS account that was in the previous one, but when I launch the trouble shooter...
  8. "We can't reactivate Windows from these devices"

9. Can't reactivate Windows after the motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't reactivate Windows after the motherboard change: So recently I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, so Windows asked me to reactivate itself I did the troubleshooting thing, but my PC doesn't show up on the list, however it shows up in my microsoft account.Answering the questions:Yes, I tried to relog into my microsoft...
  10. Can't reactivate Windows after the motherboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate Windows after the motherboard change: So recently I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, so Windows asked me to reactivate itself I did the troubleshooting thing, but my PC doesn't show up on the list, however it shows up in my microsoft account.Answering the questions:Yes, I tried to relog into my microsoft...