Windows 10: New HDD not spinning up with USB adapter

Discus and support New HDD not spinning up with USB adapter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I need to clone a hard drive. Got the new drive, a wD. What I usually fo is plug the new drive into a different PC and using a USB adapter, I format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cfourkays, Feb 14, 2018.

1. cfourkays Win User

New HDD not spinning up with USB adapter

I need to clone a hard drive.
    Got the new drive, a wD.
    What I usually fo is plug the new drive into a different PC and using a USB adapter, I format the drive.
    I can't get the drive to spin up.
    This is the second new WD drive I got, thought the problem was the drive. This ones the same. I've tried 2 different USB adapters with 2 different working PCs with same result.
    Disk Management shows a "Removal E" "No media"
    The adapters work with some old drives I have laying around

Pete

:)

cfourkays, Feb 14, 2018

2. How do I transfer Windows 10 to new SSD from Hard Drive inside Dell Inspiron 5548 upgraded from windows 8?

I need to make a clean install of Windows 10 on a new 2.5" intel 256 gb SSD

I have an usb HDD external adapter.

Is there a way to install Windows 10 on the new SSD connected to the external adapter, Boot the PC on the SSD and later activate Windows with the activation key from the original HDD?

Thanks!

TuroCastilleja, Feb 14, 2018
  3. recovery thumb drive

The only way then you have is to buy the new HDD, install Windows on it using the USB drive and then later plug in the drive using a USB Adapter if possible to recover data.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 14, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

A lot depends upon the USB adapter and whether a 2.5" Notebook drive or a 3.5" drive is involved. All the adapters and external cases I've used required being self-powered, had their own power supply as most USB ports couldn't provide sufficient power for a single cable connection. The Notebook adapters I have use a Y-cable for 2 USB ports, one leg for power and data, second leg for additional power. It's a limiting function of the power provided by the USB ports.

Berton, Feb 14, 2018
  5. cfourkays Win User
    The one I use is a tray for either 2.5 or 3.5. It's powered.

cfourkays, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New HDD not spinning up with USB adapter - Similar Threads - HDD spinning USB

2. New Seagate HDD does Spin-Up sound constantly after PC Hangs and Errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Seagate HDD does Spin-Up sound constantly after PC Hangs and Errors: It's a very complicated situation. Previously my SSD had cable issue which caused it to hang and reach the "press when there is an available boot device" screen when starting. Then adjusting the cable worked until it started to appear again, where now I have to reattach the...
  3. New Seagate HDD does Spin-Up sound constantly after PC Hangs and Errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Seagate HDD does Spin-Up sound constantly after PC Hangs and Errors: It's a very complicated situation. Previously my SSD had cable issue which caused it to hang and reach the "press when there is an available boot device" screen when starting. Then adjusting the cable worked until it started to appear again, where now I have to reattach the...
  4. New Seagate HDD does Spin-Up sound constantly after PC Hangs and Errors

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Deleting file spins up irrelevant HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting file spins up irrelevant HDD: Hello, I have two disks: a C: that is an SSD, and a D: which is a traditional platter HDD. This HDD is rarely used, often in the 'spun down' state since it is VERY LOUD. Problem that I have is that every time I delete a file on my C: disk in Windows, the HDD D: drive...
  6. windows spinning up usb hdd multiple times overnight. Where to look?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows spinning up usb hdd multiple times overnight. Where to look?: I have a usb hdd strictly for storage. I can hear it spinning up regularly almost every hour while the pc is idle overnight, as if windows is doing an hourly check on it. it's messing up my hdd to the point that I hear a usb disconnection dododo chime whenever it spins up....
  7. Windows keeps waking up my sleeping HDD / spinning back up spun down HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps waking up my sleeping HDD / spinning back up spun down HDD.: Windows really likes to keep the drives active for unknown reason. I have tried the followings: Changed "Power Options" in Control Panel; Modified registry to add AHCI Link Power Management in "Power Options" and changed the settings accordingly; Disabled "Storage Service"...
  8. USB HDD Not Showing Up?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB HDD Not Showing Up?: Hey guys, I've got 4 external USB HDD's connected to my PC. 3 of them are working fine, however the 4th isn't showing up. It shows up when I right click the USB icon in the bottom right corner of my screen and its name is "My Book" but it doesn't have a drive letter like...
  9. HDD wont stop spinning

HDD wont stop spinning: I have Windows 10 installed in the SSD, while I use the HDD as storage, there are just files there. I also set power to turn off HDD at 3 minutes if idle. The problem is that the HDD wont stop ever spinning. In Windows 7 I had this same configuration and HDD stopped...
  10. Sleeping secondary hdd spinning up every 2 hours

Sleeping secondary hdd spinning up every 2 hours: How to stop windows10 from spinning up my secondary hdd every 2 hours? In event log i see "Event 15, SecurityCenter" "Updated Windows Defender status successfully to SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_ON." every ~2 hours, and that spins up hdd. i added that drive to exclusions in...