Windows 10: New install now no permission to access any file or folders old drives

Discus and support New install now no permission to access any file or folders old drives in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I had an older PC running windows 10 which was installed on an old HDD. I finally picked up a SSD for it. I opted for a clean install of Windows 10 on... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by brennok, Dec 8, 2017.

1. brennok Win User

New install now no permission to access any file or folders old drives

I had an older PC running windows 10 which was installed on an old HDD. I finally picked up a SSD for it. I opted for a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD. Everything seemed to go okay until I tried to access anything but what Windows installed.

Every folder, file, etc I don't have permission to access. It doesn't matter if it was a Windows folder on the old drive or a folder of music on drive. I have never had this issue before after doing a new install. Usually I can just connect the old drives and access them without issues.

I found the Take Ownership context menu install which seems to fix these issues, but it seems I have to do it on everything so I am hoping there is a better fix. I tried changing the security on the drives, but they are stuck in Read Only.

:)

brennok, Dec 8, 2017
  2. CP_2 Win User

Cannot take ownership of external HDD(permissions complications)

I have recently bought a new PC and attached an old external HDD to it that contains old pictures/etc... from over the years. When attempting to access the drive through Windows explorer, it says "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To
    gain access ot this folder you will need to use the security tab.", so I checked the permissions settings for it in the security tab and saw that its ownership was set for my old PC. I attempted to change it the permission for the drive there, but afterwards
    saw that it did not grant me access to all of the subfolders and files. So I tried to do the 'takeown' command from an elevated cmd prompt and now it's saying that the 'Access Denied' for the drive. It does the same when using the ICACLS command. I think I
    may have done something wrong when I initially used the security tab to change permission.

Is there an alternate way to modify the permissions for this drive? They seem pretty screwed at this point and I really really hope this drive is not rendered useless now. I considered seeing if I could possibly salvage the files by moving them off of the
    drive with Ubuntu, but I want to try to solve this without installing another OS first.

Thanks

CP_2, Dec 8, 2017
  3. tappertop Win User
    Reverting inherited access Permissions

HI

Have a laptop that played up big time tried lots of fixes but no luck, so before I did a PC reset option> safe files install Windows again I pulled hard drive out to lift important files of in case the drive was on its way out.

But I could not access any files due to not having access permission, so I change it so I could. Now that I want to put the drive back into the other pc and do a pc reset it gets stuck on 10% as it can not access the new permission rules. I don't know what
    the old one was, but I did not tamper with everything.

Is there a way to revert the rules or is there a generic rule I can change that will allow my old Laptop to access the drive and complete the reset?

Is there a way I can find out the original access permissions?

If there is.... do I apply it to the hard drive name or specific folders each?

N.B Since the attempted reset again I can not access drive on alternative laptop. Also changing acess rules has resulted in windows setting folder fail and now the hard drive is partially changed but not all. I can not access it at all .

Many Thanks

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

tappertop, Dec 8, 2017
  4. Clintlgm Win User

Put it in a either a SATA to USB 3.0 or USB exernal case, you should be able to read it then unless your using some sort of encryption bit locker or similar

Clintlgm, Dec 8, 2017
  5. brennok Win User
    We are talking about 6 drives though so I would have to get 6 different cases. On top of that this is stuff I use on a daily basis like my Itunes library. I never encrypted it either. For example Itunes, which I did a fresh install on, can't access the folder where my music and podcasts are stored.

New install now no permission to access any file or folders old drives [​IMG]

brennok, Dec 8, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    All the permissions will be for the old user even if your using the same name the sid will be different. So you may need to goto the root of each drive and take ownership depending on the drive size you can get software that converts NTFS to fat32 which removes all security and doesn't loose any data and it's simple to convert it back to NTFS

Samuria, Dec 8, 2017
  7. brennok Win User
    Thanks I will look into this. Most drives are 1-2TB since they are older drives.

I think my confusion is because I have moved drives before between computers and never had permission issues unless they were say for the windows folder or program files. Even then it was simple to take over the folder since I am the admin and only user. This is the first time I have gotten errors just trying to enter a folder even an empty one.

brennok, Dec 8, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New install now no permission to access any file or folders old drives - Similar Threads - install permission access

2. Folder permission Access

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folder permission Access: Hello, I was wondering if someone else is experience what I am getting. I have Windows 10. Also I am using Avira as my antivirus (Defender is disabled because of Avira - automatic thing). So the issue is that randomly a folder is being locked for me. I am with...
  3. Folder Permissions and creating a new folder to install software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Permissions and creating a new folder to install software: Good morning; I have a new computer, and it will not allow me to create a new subfolder in either the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files x86 folders. i have Admin privileges. I can create a directory in C to install them, but want to keep things organized. Thank you....
  4. Drive access permissions

Drive access permissions: I get the message that I do not have permission to access D/System drive. The message says to go to the permissions security tab but I am unable to locate it. Help required please....
  5. All the file/folder access permissions File Sharing

All the file/folder access permissions File Sharing: Is there any way to see the file permissions I have edited? or all the file permissions on disc drive? I'm trying to use File sharing to transfer some files to another computer via LAN cable, so I have given about 15-20 folders Read/Write access from any user, now I'm done...
  6. i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder: Hi there hope i can recieve some assistance. i just took out the hard disk drive from an older laptop which had windows 7 on it, i put this into a exterior shell and have converted it to an external hard drive. i've managed to get access to the data but unfortunately there...
  7. Permission to access the drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permission to access the drive.: Dear Community, I wanted to change the permission status of the drive for a user account, instead, I changed for the administrative account. Just need to reactive the account. Please help me to activate it, as I go for the settings I see a message as below. I don't...
  8. Gaining permission to an old hard drive files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Gaining permission to an old hard drive files: Hi. I have an old hard drive with which I decided to copy it's data to a new HDD, I had a OS installed on it (probably windows xp) when I decided not to use it. Now that I decide to copy its data from C drive, It says you don't have access and you need to fix the premission...
  9. Permissions to access folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions to access folders: Hi, I have a 40Gb USB drive which I protect with Bitlocker. When I unlock the drive there are some folders (backups of every photo taken by my camera) which I am denied access to. I have logged on as Administrator (I am the Administrator) and followed all the instructions to...
  10. Permissions to access cloned hard drive files and folders denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions to access cloned hard drive files and folders denied: Hi, I have a cloned hard drive of my home PC in a caddy which I'm trying to access (USB) from my work PC. But it's telling me I don't have permission to access files or folders. Edit- sorted individual folders but not contained files so it would be useful to know how to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. drive folder file locker software