Windows 10: New install of Win 10 on older computer?

Discus and support New install of Win 10 on older computer? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was given a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The owner removed the memory and HDD because they thought computer went bad. I replaced the memory and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Winuser, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Winuser Win User

New install of Win 10 on older computer?

I was given a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The owner removed the memory and HDD because they thought computer went bad. I replaced the memory and HDD with some spare parts I had. The HDD had a old installation of Win 10 from when I replaced it with a SSD. The laptop is working good. Now I want to install a clean version of Windows 10. Can I use the Win 8.1 key to activate the Win 10 install?

:)

Winuser, Dec 22, 2017
  2. JDHinman Win User

New install of Windows 10 on older PC

Those are both good points - thank you both for your help!

I will check the NX bit this evening. I do not recall seeing that setting, but that does not mean it is not there.

I do have a mouse and keyboard attached via USB.

I built the system in 2006, so perhaps drivers will be an issue. I no longer do games, so I do not need a high-powered computer and was hoping this older one would serve my needs.

JDHinman, Dec 22, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    New install of Windows 10 on older PC

In addition to neilpzz's good advice, perhaps consider this: We don't know how 'old' your old computer is, so how confident are you that you can find Windows 10 drivers for its hardware?

Sometimes old hardware will work with drivers from Windows 7 or 8, but there's no guarantee.

BulldogXX, Dec 22, 2017
  4. Winuser Win User

Windows 10 installed without a problem and is activated. When I was asked to enter the key I chose I do not have a key. When Windows finished installing it was activated with a digital license.

Winuser, Dec 22, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Back in 2015 it may have gone for the free upgrade (or had an over-enthusiastic windows update sneak it in uninvited) then rolled back to Windows 8.1. If so, it would have got a digital licence for 10.

Memory/HDD don't count as far as the hardware ID is concerned, so the licence would still be valid.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New install of Win 10 on older computer? - Similar Threads - install older computer

2. Move from Win 7 to Win 10, installation on older PC.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move from Win 7 to Win 10, installation on older PC.: Hello, it is good idea now move from Win 7 to Win 10? I have heard that Win 10 21H2 will be last build before Win 11, so make sense wait until it come? I dont want reinstall my OS every 6 months, that is why i stuck on Win 7. There is no hurry for me leave Win 7, i only move...
  3. BSOD New Computer Fresh Win 10 Install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD New Computer Fresh Win 10 Install: Hey Guys, I have just built a new AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Computer (all details in profile) and I am experiencing random BSOD's. I have installed the latest drivers and reinstalled windows but no joy. It seems to happen when I am not actively using the computer (I am a gamer and...
  4. Can't install older versions of 10 on new laptops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install older versions of 10 on new laptops: Went to reinstall windows on a new 10th gen intel laptop with a 1909 installer created with media creation tool, but the installer couldnt see the drive. Only a 2004 installer can actually see the nvme. Along the same lines, I was trying to clone a windows 10 install to a...
  5. New computer will not restart after installing new win 10 updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    New computer will not restart after installing new win 10 updates: A few days ago I bought a new computer, set it up and turned it on. In order to continue it asked me for my Microsoft account code number. Now my other computer that was up to date with win 10 I have a pin number that I use. So I had to create a account using a code number....
  6. Win 10 on older PC

Win 10 on older PC: Our old desktop PC is a Gateway SX2855, with Win7 home premium. I've heard that an "upgrade" can't work, but am considering cleaning the drive files are backed up and doing a straight install of Win 10 from DVD. Can anyone tell me whether this PC model can handle that?...
  7. Trying to install Windows 10 on an older Used computer

Trying to install Windows 10 on an older Used computer: Hello all, I recently purchased an older HP EliteDesk 800 G1 from my place of work. The hard drive was, of course, wiped so its a complete blank slate. My daily driver is a Mac Laptop (no judging, its getting me through college). I created a windows boot drive on a Sandisk...
  8. Loading Older Software on New Win 10 Asus

Loading Older Software on New Win 10 Asus: I just bought an Asus E203M Notebook and love it! But when I tried to load my old MS Office 2003 (I know, I'm a dinosaur - it has stuff I like) I get a message about trusted software and the MS Store. How do I authorize it to run exe for my Office 2003 CDs?...
  9. Installing new Laptop (Win 10), TRYING to share with older Win 7 PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing new Laptop (Win 10), TRYING to share with older Win 7 PCs: Last week, I had some hair until I tried to setup and share my new Lenovo (Win 10) with my old DESKTOP and LAPTOP (Win 7). All in my home, same router, I am only user, same Network except, the laptops are wireless, same network name, and the DESKTOP is hard wired all same...
  10. New Win 10 install-computer locks up

in Windows 10 Support
    New Win 10 install-computer locks up: It is a process of elimination I'm afraid. Sorry I can't suggest anything more useful.