Windows 10: "New" laptop doesn't see homegroup

Discus and support "New" laptop doesn't see homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an established Homegroup which all of the other computers (all running Win 10 Home) found & joined with no problems. I am trying to add an Acer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sidecar Bob, Apr 19, 2017.

1. "New" laptop doesn't see homegroup

I have an established Homegroup which all of the other computers (all running Win 10 Home) found & joined with no problems. I am trying to add an Acer 5720Z laptop with Win 10 Pro but it says "There is currently no Homegroup on the network" and invites me to start one.

The 5720 sees the other computers on the network, just not the Homegroup. Any suggestions?

:)

Sidecar Bob, Apr 19, 2017
  2. d0gknees Win User

Public Folders, windows 10

Just being on the homegroup doesn't mean you see the other PCs Public folders on yours. There is no automatic merging of the content of the different PCs.

As you say, you can browse to it via the network. This is the normal way to access the content of other PCs on your network.

d0gknees, Apr 19, 2017
  3. Windows 10 computers can't find Windows 7 computer in homegroup

I still can't see the other computer in the network. Whether I'm trying to logon from the desktop or through the laptop. I started over by creating a homegroup from the desktop, then taking the new password to the laptop, but there's no "JOIN" on the
    laptop to enter the password, instead it asks to "CREATE" a homegroup, so I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong, this should be easy, but I'm missing something, somewhere.

Jess Rivas, Apr 19, 2017
  4. mQ573 Win User

"New" laptop doesn't see homegroup

Disable the Windows Firewall
    Start / Search for firewall
    Select Check firewall status
    Select Turn firewall on and off

If you are using a 3rd party firewall, you should know how to disable it.

Test if you can join the homegroup.

If you cannot, start the HomeGroup troubleshooter:
    Start / Search for homegroup
    Then select Find and fix....

Turn the firewall back on

Hope it helps

mQ573, Apr 19, 2017
  5. Turned Windows Firewall off (no other firewall present)
    Still said "There is currently no Homegroup..."
    Ran Homegroup troubleshooter - it ran network troubleshooter, which said it detected & fixed a connectivity problem. No Homegroup problems found.
    Still says "There is currently no Homegroup..."

A while ago, while trying to get another computer to join the Homegroup (that one saw the Homegroup but wouldn't join - turned out the time had not yet synched) I read that sometimes a computer can't join a Homegroup because even though it is connected to the same router it is on a different network. I'm wondering if that could be my problem but I can't find that page now and I can't remember how they said to find out if the networks are the same and fix it....

6. mQ573 Win User
    AFAIK one router creates one local LAN.
    Of course, if the router is connected to another router a certain way, you could then create a separate subnet. And unless you put up some extra work, devices one one subnet cannot see the others on the second subnet.

mQ573, Apr 19, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Is IP version 6 and NetBIOS running ip6 is needed for homegroup

Samuria, Apr 19, 2017
  8. "New" laptop doesn't see homegroup

mQ573: That's what I thought but I am new to figuring this stuff out myself. It does see the other computers on the network but it won't connect to them...

Samuria: I don't know how to check that. Can you tell me please?

9. mQ573 Win User
    You didn't get the usual message "Your network connection must have IPv6 enabled".

Still, an easy way to check for IPV6 is opening a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG /ALL.
    Look for a line starting with Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . Do you see something after (like, but not exactly fe80::4d2d:9a8:1e9e:de11%11(Preferred) ?

mQ573, Apr 19, 2017
  10. When I do that a command window flashes on for a split second and disappears to fast for me to read anything.

11. mQ573 Win User
    You have to open a command prompt window.
    Start / Type cmd.exe in search / 2-click on cmd.exe.
    In the new window, enter IPCONFIG /ALL, and close it afterwards like any window.

mQ573, Apr 19, 2017
  12. D'OH! I was opening the run dialog (win+r) and typing it in there. If I did this stuff more often I would have remembered to type cmd in run and then type ipconfig /all at the command prompt.

Here's a pic of it. It shows a Link-local IPv6 address and it says NetBios over Tcpip is enabled. It also says there is an IPv4 address

"New" laptop doesn't see homegroup [​IMG]

Sidecar Bob, Apr 20, 2017
  13. mQ573 Win User

So far, so good. It's probably not an IPV6 issue.

Do you still experience the issue?

Afterthoughts:

- You wouldn't have two machines with the same name, do you?

- I see you're using a wireless connection. Would you have wireless isolation on your router turned on ?

mQ573, Apr 20, 2017
  14. No change.

I don't think I have wireless isolation turned on. There are other computers connected wirelessly with no problem. Anyway, I tried plugging in a USB cable and it did the same thing.

I have been naming each computer by its model number so that I can tell which is which from the other ones. This is the only Acer-5720Z (so far).

Sidecar Bob, Apr 20, 2017
  15. mQ573 Win User
    Check that the following services are running:
    Peer Networking Grouping and
    PNRP Machine Name Publication Service

To see the services: Start / Enter services.msc in Search Bar / Click on services.msc
    You'll see a list of installed services. You can click on Extended tab at the bottom to get more real estate.

Verify the above above services are started; if not, r-click on the service, select start and see if it works.

mQ573, Apr 20, 2017
Thema:

1. "New" laptop doesn't see homegroup - Similar Threads - laptop doesn't homegroup

2. Installed New Ram, Windows doesn't see it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installed New Ram, Windows doesn't see it: Hi, I just installed a new bank of 16GB DDR4 2400hz RAM, but windows doesn't see it.I tried to buy it same speed as the original one, and funny enough Passmark Performance Test sees it installed.PictureWhat did I do wrong? is it a broken bank?Thanks...
  3. Installed New Ram, Windows doesn't see it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed New Ram, Windows doesn't see it: Hi, I just installed a new bank of 16GB DDR4 2400hz RAM, but windows doesn't see it.I tried to buy it same speed as the original one, and funny enough Passmark Performance Test sees it installed.PictureWhat did I do wrong? is it a broken bank?Thanks...
  4. Installed New Ram, Windows doesn't see it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lenovo Laptop doesn't see wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo Laptop doesn't see wifi: My Lenovo yoga 2 pro can find my friends wifi, but not my work wifi.My yoga could find my work wifi before i wiped the yoga. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-laptop-doesnt-see-wifi/ef47f6ce-2018-44c5-9330-f8fcf3c8deba
  6. Lenovo Laptop doesn't see wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo Laptop doesn't see wifi: My Lenovo yoga 2 pro can find my friends wifi, but not my work wifi.My yoga could find my work wifi before i wiped the yoga. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-laptop-doesnt-see-wifi/ef47f6ce-2018-44c5-9330-f8fcf3c8deba
  7. Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop: I'm configuring a new Win10 laptop. Initially, the laptop and my desktop (also Win10) could see each other under the Computer section under Network in File Explorer. This is over a hardwired Ethernet connection via a switch. I started copying a bunch of files from the desktop...
  8. Can see and access on Homegroup but not network.

Can see and access on Homegroup but not network.: Everything was fine until this week. suddenly I can't see any computers on my network except the one running win 7. I can access and see every one through the homegroup but all the computers running Win 10 (Pro) are invisible on network, but visible and accessible if I select...
  9. Win 10 seeing old HomeGroup?

Win 10 seeing old HomeGroup?: Trying to start a homegroup but when i do windows says one has already been created by me on pc2. This pc is no longer on my network. How do i make a new one if it still sees a old one? 58002
  10. W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup

W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup: I've been trying in vain to get my W10 VM guest to join up to my W7 host's Homegroup, but the only options I get in the Homegroup section on W10 is to set up a new one, it's as if it's not seeing the Homegroup I already have in place through W7. I thought it would have picked...