Windows 10: New Laptop how to change login name

Discus and support New Laptop how to change login name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows comes with a number of built-in accounts, these are part of the system and cannot be deleted or renamed. Administrator is one of these, Guest... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Equation, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Equation Win User

New Laptop how to change login name

Alright thanks!

Equation, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Equation Win User

I got a new laptop and the login name is set up as "Administrator" but I do not know how to change the "Administrator" to my name. So how can I change it?

I am not logged in with any hotmail or outlook connected to windows 10.

:)

Equation, Apr 20, 2018
  3. TOB_DBL Win User
    Netplwiz does not show the user accounts and none of the programs except for File Explorer is working on Windows 10.

Original Title: Windows 10 , I used Netplwiz to change the Laptop user name to my name, now no users at all

Hello,

Just got my new Win 10 laptop. The user name was Laptop. I used Netplwiz to amend the name to my name. Upon exiting from netplwiz my laptop has no user names setup I think. I rebooted. I get my login with my new name, this seems to work but the laptop will
    not so anything except run File Explorer.

No other programs will work, the search facility will not work.

Help please.

Terence

TOB_DBL, Apr 20, 2018
  4. Bravan Win User

I just installed windows 10 on my HP laptop now I cant login to my computer

I cant login to my Hp laptop after the free upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Some How the user name at login page has changed to my email address. I put in my password and the welcome sign starts but then stops and shows wrong user name or password.
    I did not change my user name what can I do to unlock my computer?

Bravan, Apr 20, 2018
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 20, 2018
  6. Equation Win User
    So if I follow this, will it remove in-built administrator account? and have my name?

Equation, Apr 20, 2018
  7. AddRAM Win User
    No, it will not remove the built in Admin account (and you do not want it to) but it will give you an Admin account with your name.

AddRAM, Apr 20, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Windows comes with a number of built-in accounts, these are part of the system and cannot be deleted or renamed. Administrator is one of these, Guest is another.

Normally Administrator is disabled, so you would not see it as an account you can log in to. Instead, you would have another account in your own name that is an administrator and use that for all your normal activities. I'm not sure how you ended up using Administrator, a new PC normally asks you to set up your own account when you first turn it on.

Brink has told you how to create yourself a new account. Remember to make it an administrator so you'll be able to use it to install software and configure the PC.

Change Account Type in Windows 10

When you are certain your new account is working and is an administrator, then you can disable the built-in Administrator if you like. Before doing so, it would be a good idea to set a blank password for Administrator as this is the default for a clean install of Windows.

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

Thema:

1. New Laptop how to change login name - Similar Threads - Laptop change login

2. How to change email address on login for new laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change email address on login for new laptop.: Recently, I received a new laptop for Christmas. I set it up all happy with myself however when I logged onto it the next day it said ‘parent consent needed.’ I checked my gmail setting and changed my dob as I realised my it was incorrect and tried to log in again. As im not...
  3. How to change email address on login for new laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change email address on login for new laptop.: Recently, I received a new laptop for Christmas. I set it up all happy with myself however when I logged onto it the next day it said ‘parent consent needed.’ I checked my gmail setting and changed my dob as I realised my it was incorrect and tried to log in again. As im not...
  4. Changing login user name

Changing login user name: So say I have a user that has to manually type their user name,Where would I change the name that they would have to type? Not the lock screen display name But the login name that they would physically have to type.Thanks!...
  5. change user/login name?

change user/login name?: When installing W10 it asks for the name of the user, I wasn't sure how this was used and entered my full name :First Last".Now I see that it uses this for the full user ID, including the "c:/users/username" path.I want to change that, so that I have C:/users/lastName no...
  6. Change login Name, kinda

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change login Name, kinda: When I recently reinstalled Windows 10 - 1909 it asked me to setup a Microsoft account and I did. On my earlier installation I used a local account and it opened right to Windows without a password. But now that I setup Windows with a Microsoft account the title across the...
  7. Need to Change Login Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need to Change Login Name: Pardon me if this has been dealt with, I have only seen the tutorial video about naming one's device prior to the initial installment of Win10. But as you see from the screenshot below, the name the machine displayed is not what is desired. When I ran thru the Open Box...
  8. Login name needs to be Changed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login name needs to be Changed: When I set up my new computer I did not have a Microsoft account. I want to change it from my husbands Hotmail account to my account so when I log in it says my name not his with his Hotmail account linked to everything. How do I go about doing this?...
  9. Login named changed to AdministratorP??

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login named changed to AdministratorP??: My username shoes normally at the windows 10 login screen but then when I go into cmd prompt it shows that it has changed to AdministratorP. All of my folders and directories are now located under this new entity. I have had this laptop for years without issue. Anyone have...
  10. How to change the name of a new folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the name of a new folder?: When I create a new folder, I cannot rename it? Is there a magic trick to doing this? 15058