Windows 10: New laptop with SSD, partitioning?

Discus and support New laptop with SSD, partitioning? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have bought a a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed on a 256GB SSD drive. I wanted to partition it so that C:\ would contain the OS, not sure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bertie11, Mar 26, 2018.

1. bertie11 Win User

New laptop with SSD, partitioning?

I have bought a a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed on a 256GB SSD drive.

I wanted to partition it so that C:\ would contain the OS, not sure how much to allow though, and then another partition for my own programs, purchased or free. And possibly another partition for my current data from day-to-day stuff. I also have 2 1TB USB drives which I would use for starage and backups.

Is this realistic? Are there any problems with partitioning SSD, I've never used them before.

Any thoughts please?

:)

bertie11, Mar 26, 2018
  2. D_777 Win User

How to transfer ssd to new computer with windows 10 without formating?

How to transfer ssd from old to new computer?

The ssd has only one partition. It has windows 10 as os. The only difference are the drivers and hardware in the new laptop computer. So the new laptop will not boot with that ssd.

The ssd has data I want to keep.

D_777, Mar 26, 2018
  3. reinstalling the same wins10 on a different SSD

so i am planning to buy a new ssd for my laptop, but my laptop only has 1 ssd slot. How do I reinstall my windows 10 in my new ssd without buying a new wins10

Chester Yu, Mar 26, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Frankly, I would not bother unless you have a lot of portable games. Portable games can be installed on hdds.

If you do need to partition it, I would only do two partitions 128 GB each. You can always resize later as needed.

cereberus, Mar 26, 2018
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    Partitioning the SSD is not a problem. However, a 256GB SSD is pretty much minimal in today's world. Your OS and Programs install should be on the C:\ partition, data and library files can surely be stored on a 2nd drive. If your new notebook doesn't have provisions for a 2nd hard drive/SSD you going to have issues. I Have 2 computers using 256 GB SSD and I'm more than 50% full more like 75% full on both of them. My notebook has a 512 GB SSD for OS and 1 TB SSD for Data.
    With all that said if you want to partition your SSD further do not mess with any of the partitions other than C: you can use any partitioning tools, I personally use Minitool Partition wizard it's quite similar to the original version of "Partition Magic" that I have been using for many years. Adjusting partitions on an SSD not different than on a hard drive, other than my warning to not do any operations on the other partitions on the SSD other than C:.
    I would before making any changes create a disk/SSD complete Image. Macrium Reflect Free is very good at making these images and when you screw up, it will take about 15 minutes to restore back to the moment you made the Image and Complete SSD, not Partitions. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Clintlgm, Mar 26, 2018
  6. Wynona Win User
    I'm pretty much in agreement with Clint; Windows and programs/apps go on the C:\ drive.

I keep a 2 TB external drive for backups and a 1 TB external drive for data and libraries. Both are more than adequate for my needs; however, the price was right. *Smile I have smaller externals for special files, such as genealogy.

Wynona, Mar 26, 2018
  7. bertie11 Win User
    Cerberus, I don't waste my time with games! Well, only Freecell.

I expect there will be a lot of stuff to remove once I get the notebook, things like 3 months trial of Office and unwanted A/V for a start and a lot of HP stuff too.

Clintigm, I have resolved to try and keep my system as lean as I can, I think my old one had a load of stuff on it I rarely, if ever, used. I do have Minitool Partition Wizard and Free Reflect already as well. From memory, my old notebook used about 75GB on the C:\ drive but like I say, I ought to be able to cut that down. I note your suggestion of doing an image as soon as I get the device, although it will probably have a recovery on it, I'm assuming. But then it would also be on the SSD, taking up space?

Wynona, another system and programs advocate!

Thank you all. I now need to get my hands on the said notebook!

bertie11, Mar 27, 2018
  8. Word Man Win User

Hi, bertie11.

You might want to post back to this thread screenshots of the partitions as shown in Disk Management and/or MiniTool Partition Wizard once you have the notebook in hand. There will probably be a sizable Factory Reset/Recovery partition on it you may decide to do away with to conserve that limited 256 GB of SSD space.

We can help you sort that and any other partitioning needs/wants on the new notebook.

Word Man, Mar 27, 2018
  9. bertie11 Win User
    I now have the new notebook and I see I have 192GB free of the 256GB and I have a Recovery partition D:\ with 1.78GB of 14.8Gb.

I just wanted to confirm that the Recovery partition will take me back to factory settings?

There is so much dross on this, Netflix, MacAfee, all the usual stuff which I'm taking off. Do I need to install Macrium at this stage or should I have done that before I started removing things? Just curious, as in the past I waited until I had what I wanted left and then I did the backup image.

Word Man, just seen your post! I'll post again shortly.

bertie11, Mar 27, 2018
  10. Word Man Win User
    Yes, that's what it's there for. At this point, some would decide to do away with it because the factory restore would include all of the dross you mention. Others prefer to keep it as the ultimate fallback option - depends on how much you would like to have the 14.8 GB freed up to do with as you wish.

Myself, when I (rarely) get a new machine, I do a Macrium image before anything else, to an external drive. Then I start weeding out the dross.

Another option, depending on your temperament for it, is to do a clean install (dross free) of Win10 as soon as you confirm the current install is activated. You can use that to wipe all partitions and set it up as you wish. Plenty of folks here can help you with that, if you so opt, and there is a tutorial here: Clean Install Windows 10

Word Man, Mar 27, 2018
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    Just as a general rule, A Macrium image of the box as-is fresh from the factory, even with all the bloat and foo-fah, is a good idea before taking a scalpel to it. Reason.....you can always go back to that mrimage and cherry-pick stuff to copy back just by mounting it. Just IMO. *Smile

f14tomcat, Mar 27, 2018
  12. lx07 Win User
    Make an image (in case you want to return it) then clean install.

BTW I also have a newish laptop with a 256GB drive and don't play games - it just has Office and a few small programs. I partitioned it 64GB for C, I'm currently using just going over 24GB (with 15 years of emails stored there). 64GB is ample for C for me. Honestly, 32GB would most likely be OK really.

I'm really not convinced it is an advantage though to partition - more just old habits.

The performance reasons (put OS on faster outside part of the disk) have gone, backing up a folder is not harder or easier than backing up a partition.

If you think you will be repeatedly reinstalling Windows or restoring back then go ahead. I have not restored Operating System from backup for years though and as Windows gets a new version every six months it is increasingly less likely I ever will. Far more likely to just clean install again.

Assuming you do this there is no advantage to having partition D and a directory called "Data" on your C drive apart from the negligible amount of time to restore it, if you ever did need to, which you probably wouldn't. On the other hand if you assign 128GB to C and only need 28GB you are wasting 100GB of space.

Sure you can resize partitions but I don't see the point really in making such an arbitrary split in the first place. It is a contentions subject though and many people here would disagree with me I'm sure.

Personally (despite there being no benefit I can justify) I still do it. Next time not perhaps.

13. bertie11 Win User

I suppose this is the wrong forum for my current problem?

I bought an Advent USB 7-port hub (powered) but when I plug my two M3 USB 1 TB drives into the hub they are not recognised. I then plugged one directly into the remaining USB socket on the notebook and this time it is seen by 'Safely Remove Hardware etc.) but again, it is not recognised by Disk Management or File Explorer.

The USB connector from the hub is connected to the other USB port on the notebook. I've tried 'finding' the drives in Add a device and that does show unknown with what could be a drive icon.

So I don't know what is at fault and I cannot do my Reflect backup image!

bertie11, Mar 27, 2018
  14. Berton Win User
    For the original partitioning question, my experience is about Microsoft Office, can be installed on a different partition but have seen where upwards of 2/3rds of the program will still be installed on the same partition as Windows in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) depending upon which version it is, 32-bit or 64-bit. It's probably due to the interaction/intermingling with Windows.

Berton, Mar 27, 2018
  15. Wynona Win User
    Bertie, this problem also belongs in Drivers and Hardware; however, you'll get more help if you post it separately from this thread and give it a proper title, such as "External Drives not Recognized on Advent Hub".

Wynona, Mar 27, 2018
Thema:

1. New laptop with SSD, partitioning? - Similar Threads - laptop SSD partitioning

2. partitioning new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    partitioning new SSD: When setting up my new SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10, should I place Windows 10 within its own partition and if so how many GB of drive space should I allocate to that partition....
  3. partitioning new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    partitioning new SSD: When setting up my new SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10, should I place Windows 10 within its own partition and if so how many GB of drive space should I allocate to that partition....
  4. partitioning new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Partition: My Intel NUC 5i5RYH comes with 128GB M.2 SATA.I partitioned into two.Now I wish to combine back into a single partition.Unfortunately, the 2nd partition does not follows the 1st partition. There is another partition in between.The partition in between is called Recovery...
  6. SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Partition: My Intel NUC 5i5RYH comes with 128GB M.2 SATA.I partitioned into two.Now I wish to combine back into a single partition.Unfortunately, the 2nd partition does not follows the 1st partition. There is another partition in between.The partition in between is called Recovery...
  7. SSD Partition

8. Help with Partitions on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with Partitions on a new SSD: Hi guys i have just upgraded my laptop HD to a 1g SSD Is it safe to partition this ssd without loosing the operating system that's already installed, and if so what program do you recommend Must be easy to use a hopefully free as i will only need it once I could use the disk...
  9. Help with Partitions on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with Partitions on a new SSD: Hi guys i have just upgraded my laptop HD to a 1g SSD Is it safe to partition this ssd without loosing the operating system that's already installed, and if so what program do you recommend Must be easy to use a hopefully free as i will only need it once I could use the disk...
  10. New SSD install partition help.

New SSD install partition help.: Hello. I am installing a new ssd and I need help with the partitions. I purchased a WD Black SN750 1tb. I installed it in my laptop (Alienware M15). I downloaded the windows 10 disc image iso file on a USB. I am in windows setup and I selected custom install and I'm on the...