Windows 10: new laptop with Windows 10 set up reboots after Cortana introduction, "Just a Moment"

Discus and support new laptop with Windows 10 set up reboots after Cortana introduction, "Just a Moment" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just took my new HP laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed out of the box. I turn it on, it asks for language and time zone settings, Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kellym_68, Aug 24, 2018.

1. kellym_68 Win User

new laptop with Windows 10 set up reboots after Cortana introduction, "Just a Moment"

I just took my new HP laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed out of the box. I turn it on, it asks for language and time zone settings, Cortana introduces herself. The screen then presents me with "there seems to be a problem with your PC, but an update should fix it. If you have Wi-fi, hit next, select your network. If you do not have wi-fi, plug in your network cable, hit next and the update will download once you are connected."

I hit next, the screen goes to "Just a Moment..." then after about 30 seconds (maybe a minute), the laptop reboots and the process starts all over again.

I attempted the RE troubleshooting, but to change settings or perform a repair, I need to be able to enter a password for the defaultuser() account as there is no account set up on the machine yet.

Windows 10 will not allow the user to Escape out of the guided setup? Please help or the machine is going back to the store.

:)

kellym_68, Aug 24, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Aug 24, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Privacy tweaks...

• Turn Cortana Off. Bring up the Start menu and start typing. Click on the notebook icon in the left sidebar and choose Settings. From there, you can turn off Cortana.
    • Search online and include web results. When you turn off Cortana, you’ll see this option appear. You can turn it off if you’d rather not get web search suggestions from the Start menu, which log your typing and send it back to Microsoft so you can get live-updating predictions, just like you do on Google.com or in Chrome and Firefox.
    • Getting to Know You. In Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, & Typing, you’ll find a feature called “Getting to Know You”. This is probably the most sweeping privacy setting on the system, and even after turning off Cortana, you’ll have to disable this setting. Just click the “Stop Getting to Know Me” button to turn it off.
    • Cloud Info. Turning off Getting to Know You removes info from your device, but you’ll have to remove it from the cloud separately. In that same window, click “Go to Bing and manage personal info for all your devices” to clear the Getting to Know You Data from your Microsoft account.

• If you head to Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostics, you’ll see two settings:
    • Feedback frequency: Windows will occasionally ask you for feedback so you can send Microsoft your thoughts on Windows 10. If you’d rather it not bug you with such things, you can change it to Never.
    • Diagnostic and usage data: This feature can send a lot of data back to Microsoft, including how often you use certain apps, which apps you use most often, and memory snapshots (which can inadvertently include parts of a document you’re working on if something crashes). You can change this to Full, Enhanced, or Basic. You can read more about what each of these to here.
    Microsoft doesn’t let you turn off diagnostics completely, except on Enterprise versions of Windows. The Basic setting, they say, is data that is “vital to the operation of Windows”, including Windows Update and malicious software protection.

some may be duplicated. I found this info on Lifehacker, if anyone wants the full article.

Ahhzz, Aug 24, 2018
  4. new laptop with Windows 10 set up reboots after Cortana introduction, "Just a Moment"

Cortana and settings options disappeared

Have you been able to use Cortana before and have you experienced any problems with it then?
    What about trying a system restore?

Also this could be of some use to you: Cortana Search Box Windows 10
    I would particually suggest step 3 and see if the problem still remains with a new user account.

ellellell1, Aug 24, 2018
Thema:

new laptop with Windows 10 set up reboots after Cortana introduction, "Just a Moment"

1. new laptop with Windows 10 set up reboots after Cortana introduction, "Just a Moment" - Similar Threads - laptop set reboots

2. New laptop stuck on "Just a moment" after the pin setup screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New laptop stuck on "Just a moment" after the pin setup screen.: I just got a new laptop, and while trying to set it up, I was told to set up a pin. When I tried to proceed, I've been stuck on this screen for what feels like hours, I've retried multiple times and no difference. They don't ask me to set up an Internet connection anymore...
  3. New laptop stuck on "Just a moment" after the pin setup screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New laptop stuck on "Just a moment" after the pin setup screen.: I just got a new laptop, and while trying to set it up, I was told to set up a pin. When I tried to proceed, I've been stuck on this screen for what feels like hours, I've retried multiple times and no difference. They don't ask me to set up an Internet connection anymore...
  4. New laptop stuck on "Just a moment" after the pin setup screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC Frozen on "Just a Moment" after new install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Frozen on "Just a Moment" after new install: Hello,I have a PC that i have loaded a new install of windows to from one of our WDS images. The image works on every other PC except for this one. The pc installs Windows and reboots to get me in to the OOBE but freezes on the Just a moment screen before it can load up.I...
  6. PC Frozen on "Just a Moment" after new install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Frozen on "Just a Moment" after new install: Hello,I have a PC that i have loaded a new install of windows to from one of our WDS images. The image works on every other PC except for this one. The pc installs Windows and reboots to get me in to the OOBE but freezes on the Just a moment screen before it can load up.I...
  7. PC Frozen on "Just a Moment" after new install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 Just a moment after reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Just a moment after reset: I was trying to reset my pc to clean it up, and while resetting it I accidentally turned it off. now when I power it up, it says "just a moment" for around 5 minutes, and then gives me a screen that says other user. I don't know how to log in from here, and a majority of...
  9. Windows stuck on "just a moment" after reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows stuck on "just a moment" after reboot: Following a malware attack on my laptop, i performed a factory reset but after it completed it wont let me reach the desktop screen. A screen asks for my region/language/keyboard settings then a screen appears saying "theres a problem thats keeping us from getting your pc...
  10. After login, Windows 10 goes into new mode & says "Just a Moment..."

in Windows 10 Support
    After login, Windows 10 goes into new mode & says "Just a Moment...": My Windows 10 laptop was having problems after login. I did system restore and it's working fine now. But I was curious to know what the heck my PC was doing. After logging into Windows successfully, the desktop displayed and then immediately this screen popped up: [img]...