Windows 10: new laptop with windows10 - does it need updates to work?

Discus and support new laptop with windows10 - does it need updates to work? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Long story short, I got a new HP laptop with Windows 10 and had nothing but problems. At first the laptop would sleep and not wake up and HP told me I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ajaye, Jul 21, 2016.

1. ajaye Win User

new laptop with windows10 - does it need updates to work?

Long story short, I got a new HP laptop with Windows 10 and had nothing but problems. At first the laptop would sleep and not wake up and HP told me I needed to connect to the internet for updates, a graphic driver update in particular. I ended up having more problems just starting the thing, and then it crashed completely, so I'm returning it for a refund.

Now I'm worried about getting anything with Windows 10.

I have slow and data limited satellite internet and was going to tag it as a metred connection then manually run updates as it suited me. But are updates crucial to the computer running at all? Was I dealt a lemon or is it quite feasible that a brand new laptop won't work without its software being updated?

I'm thinking of maybe buying a business laptop with Windows 10 and downgrading to Win 7Pro. If I do that, can I revert to Windows 10 at no cost when 7 is no longer supported?

Any ideas/advice appreciated.

:)

ajaye, Jul 21, 2016

2. Windows install

I bought a new laptop now updating to anniversary update from windows10 should I need key again to activate?

From home windows 10 64 bit

to home 64 bit anniversary update..my laptop came with activated windows 10 home 64 bit..do i need key for the anniversary update home 64 bit..

winkigreen, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Legamar Win User
    Will a new laptop need the new update?

Not sure where I did any of that, but I understand. No one is welcome here unless they already have the answers they're asking about. I'm sorry my complete computer illiteracy is a waste of your precious time. You're perfect or you're worthless. I'll delete
    my profile. I concede.

Legamar, Jul 21, 2016
  4. AddRAM Win User

You must have gotten a bad PC.

A PC can run absolutely fine without updating.

AddRAM, Jul 21, 2016
  5. ajaye Win User
    Thanks AddRAM. So if I do buy a new laptop do you think I'd be ok with Windows 10 and little or no internet? - I mean long term.

ajaye, Jul 22, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Main issue is internet security. If you do not use it, updates are not that important if your programs run ok.

You want to avoid large downloads whilst on satellite I assume as costs would be horrendous.

I would disable the windows update service from services.msc. Install a good third party av package which you upgrade periodically (that would not cost a lot).

Then when on a good internent connection eg wifi hotspot, then do updates.

cereberus, Jul 22, 2016
  7. ajaye Win User
    Thanks cereberus. Would it be sufficient for me to just tag the internet as a metered connection? The services.msc changes worry me a little, in that I wouldn't really know what I was doing.

ajaye, Jul 23, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Metered connection onlky works if wifi but should suffice. It is easier to stop the windows update service than you think.

cereberus, Jul 23, 2016
  9. ajaye Win User
    Ok, I'll give it a whirl if/when I get the new laptop, and come back here if I run into problems. Thanks so much *Smile

ajaye, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. new laptop with windows10 - does it need updates to work? - Similar Threads - laptop windows10 does

2. windows10 update not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows10 update not working: windows10 isnt working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-update-not-working/9342b837-08fe-48d0-97b3-92c1c4022463
  3. windows10 update not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows10 update not working: windows10 isnt working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-update-not-working/9342b837-08fe-48d0-97b3-92c1c4022463
  4. windows10 update not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. window7 backup to new windows10 laptop

window7 backup to new windows10 laptop: I used windows7 backup to transfer files to my new windows10 laptop - all worked okay BUT it has created a user in the name used on my old laptop and saved the files there and the quick links to Photos / Music / Documents etc are empty. How do I transfer all my files or...
  6. Does Google Docs work on Windows10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Does Google Docs work on Windows10?: Hi, I want to buy myself a new laptop tomorrow ,it Windows 10 and I wanted to know if you can use google docs there. Because until recently I had a Chromebook, but this is . Would like me to have quick answers freuen❤ Thanks for all Antworten❤ Geht Google Docs auf Windows10?
  7. Fotos Application does not work on Windows10

Fotos Application does not work on Windows10: I used Fotos app since 2015 on Windows10, but since February 2019 suddenly does not work anymore... display an error message "The app didn't start"... I have tried several methods that have been published and nothing works. I gave up. Now I have installed Animotica app...
  8. My laptop is not charging after updating the windows10 with new update 1903 version

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My laptop is not charging after updating the windows10 with new update 1903 version: After updating my laptop windows 10 with new update 1903 version ,my laptop is not charging.When i connected Charger plug to my laptop it was showing only plugged-in and not charging . Regarding this problem ,I had updated my laptop BIOS and there was no result and it was...
  9. windows10 new update

windows10 new update: Will not show my old files, lets me log in, can only access on line https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-new-update/f94f1f53-9f51-4fcc-b857-9d1aa694acac
  10. windows10 new update

windows10 new update: Will not show my old files, lets me log in, can only access on line https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows10-new-update/f94f1f53-9f51-4fcc-b857-9d1aa694acac