Windows 10: New m2 ssd windows installation on laptop with preinstalled windows 10

Discus and support New m2 ssd windows installation on laptop with preinstalled windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I bought new Acer laptop that came with preinstalled windows 10 (1TB hdd) I would like to install windows 10 on newly added m2 ssd(SATA III).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bhp, Sep 4, 2017.

1. BHP
    bhp Win User

New m2 ssd windows installation on laptop with preinstalled windows 10

Hello,
    I bought new Acer laptop that came with preinstalled windows 10 (1TB hdd)
    I would like to install windows 10 on newly added m2 ssd(SATA III).

What are my options besides cloning, and if cloning is the best option what software should i use ?
    I haven't put any "work" in that system yet, so fresh install is not a problem.

I have built few desktop pc's in my life but not much experience in laptops and preinstalled systems.

bios (uefi) boot menu:

New m2 ssd windows installation on laptop with preinstalled windows 10 [​IMG]

disk management screenshot:

New m2 ssd windows installation on laptop with preinstalled windows 10 [​IMG]

ssd have not been formatted yet

:)

2. Migration from Hdd to m2.SSD

Recently I have purchased a new laptop (hp probook 450 G4) and a new original windows 10 home edition and now I want to upgrade my 1 TB Hdd to a new m2 ssd and my laptop supports another slot for the m2 ssd so I can run both
    the m2 ssd & hdd at the same time but I will make the m2 ssd the boot drive and the hdd will be the data drive.
    MY Question is how can I migrate system drive to the new m2 ssd without the need to reinstall windows or any other installed programs and there is another thing, when I checked the disk management I found 3 recovery partitions will I have to
    migrate them too or I have to migrate the system drive only

MostafaEl-Desoky, Sep 4, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 10

OK, if you use your current HDD with Windows 10 installed on it on the new motherboard, Windows will load some of the new drivers required for the new motherboard when it starts up. You will have to install any other drivers that are required for the new
    motherboard.

You do not need to uninstall drivers, they will not be loaded by Windows if not required on the new motherboard

Yes, you will have to purchase Windows 10 for your new motherboard. Make sure you activate it, then when you get your new M2 SSD, you can clean install Windows 10 onto that and it will activate automatically on the new M2 SSD as your new motherboard will
    have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft servers

DaveM121, Sep 4, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would just clone using Macrium Reflect Free, resize the Windows partition in the process.

NavyLCDR, Sep 4, 2017
  5. fireberd Win User
    I just upgraded the M.2 SSD in my Dell Laptop. I made a Macrium Reflect full drive (all partitions) backup. Restored to the new higher capacity SSD. Booted to make sure it was successful (and it was). I then used Mini Tool Partition Wizard (free edition) to expand the "C" partition to the full size of the new SSD (I went from the OEM 255GB to a 500GB Samsung M.2 2280 SSD).

MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server

fireberd, Sep 4, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Macrium Reflect has partition resizing capability built in.

NavyLCDR, Sep 5, 2017
  7. bobkn Win User
    bobkn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New m2 ssd windows installation on laptop with preinstalled windows 10 - Similar Threads - ssd installation laptop

2. Install new M2 SSD in laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install new M2 SSD in laptop: Hello, decided to upgrade my laptops SSD. I physically installed a new M.2 SSD on my laptop on the only slot there is or where the old one was. I have a windows installation media in a USB and when I boot up the laptop, the windows install screen comes up but when I get to...
  3. Install new M2 SSD in laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install new M2 SSD in laptop: Hello, decided to upgrade my laptops SSD. I physically installed a new M.2 SSD on my laptop on the only slot there is or where the old one was. I have a windows installation media in a USB and when I boot up the laptop, the windows install screen comes up but when I get to...
  4. window 11 can't boot after install new ssd m2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    window 11 can't boot after install new ssd m2: hello, im using window 11 but when i install new ssd, window can't boot with error " an operating system wasn't found. all of my disk are list in bios, i try chosse disk with window to boot but it doesn't work. but when i remove new ssd, everything work fine. already try with...
  5. window 11 can't boot after install new ssd m2

window 11 can't boot after install new ssd m2: hello, im using window 11 but when i install new ssd, window can't boot with error " an operating system wasn't found. all of my disk are list in bios, i try chosse disk with window to boot but it doesn't work. but when i remove new ssd, everything work fine. already try with...
  6. New laptop with preinstalled windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New laptop with preinstalled windows 10: Hi, I recently bought a pre-owned laptop, which was resetted to factory settings so when I switch it on Windows setup begins, the issue being it is in Russian which is not my native language. I could translate the required steps or install a fresh copy of windows, but that...
  7. New laptop with preinstalled windows 10

New laptop with preinstalled windows 10: Hi, I recently bought a pre-owned laptop, which was resetted to factory settings so when I switch it on Windows setup begins, the issue being it is in Russian which is not my native language. I could translate the required steps or install a fresh copy of windows, but that...
  8. New laptop with preinstalled windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Upgrade New Laptop with preinstalled Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade New Laptop with preinstalled Windows 10: I wish to purchase a Dell laptop in India. The pre-installed OS offered is Windows 10 Home Single Language. I require Windows 10 Home that is able to load other languages also. How can the OS be upgraded?...
  10. Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...: I assume it has something to do with a partition on the HDD. Disk Manager does not allow me to delete 2 relatively small partitions, including one labeled "Recovery" and one labeled "EFI System Partition." I assume W10 is detecting the recovery partition and is giving me the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Probook m2 install windows