Windows 10: New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security

Discus and support New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey Guys, How goes it. So today here I want to pick the brains of some you, and see what your feelings are on the new malware bytes 3 pro and the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by darkschneider94, Jan 20, 2017.

1. New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security

Hey Guys,

How goes it. So today here I want to pick the brains of some you, and see what your feelings are on the new malware bytes 3 pro and the need for antivirus.

As far as malwarebytes just free alone we know its awesome and I'm considering the changing the way I handle my endpoint security.

for the last maybe 10 years I have just stuck with Avast internet security I think I changed one year to bit defender but went back to avast. I mean its work I never had viruses and when i renew I'm always offered a deal so why not.

But Ive noticed how the virus game has changed since the 90's right to the early 00's. I feel its more about malware now more than anything. and since malware bytes has been out Ive always supplement my antivirus with the free malwarebytes scans.

After speaking to my co-worker who usually push on our clients webroot antivirus. I've decided that this year when my avast is up I was gonna make the switch.

But now here is where I want some thought. I've been thinking Do I really need the internet security version of a antivirus. Windows firewall is good enough and has gotten way better over the years. and I mean really if my firewall is blocking something I need open I'm going to allow it anyway its just redundant. Plus your router has a firewall. and I'm thinking if I want to make my internet more secure hardware firewall like pfsense or sophos and proxy server; all that jazz. Is what really should be my answer.

So what I want to do here is just run Malwarebytes pro 3 and maybe I can just get away with a free antivirus or just pay for the basic version of the antivirus.

:)

darkschneider94, Jan 20, 2017
  2. Rob Koch Win User

Defender disabled by Malwarebytes?

According to the MalwareBytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions Q&A below, this is still the default configuration. Since you have one machine that's acting differently you should be looking into these settings, as well as what exactly is being reported in
    the Alert Center - Security - Virus protection section. If these don't match with the other machines, then MalwareBytes isn't operating as they've indicated and so you should be asking their support for help in determining why, not here since we only support
    the Microsoft security products.

Since Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium can be considered an anti-virus replacement, will it register itself in Windows Security Center in order for Windows to recognize it as security software?

We have designed an innovative approach that allows us to run both as a recognized and certified/compliant primary line of defense as well as a layered or complement to other third-party security applications. Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium will only register
    in Windows Security Center if there is a third-party anti-virus program registered (i.e. a non-Microsoft anti-virus program). If there is only a Microsoft antivirus registered and active, we will not register in Windows Security Center in order to preserve
    the benefit of layered security. If desired, users will be able to go into Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium Settings and change this behavior to force Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium to either “always register” or “never register”.

Rob

Rob Koch, Jan 20, 2017
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Windows Defender

Though the reasons aren't clear, there have been a number of similar reports to yours and Bru20's here recently regarding Malwarebytes having registered itself on systems running Windows Defender.

I'm wondering if these might relate to this specific section from the Malwarebytes 3 FAQ section which Jsssssssss referenced in her post above?

Since Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium can be considered an anti-virus replacement, will it register itself in Windows Security Center in order for Windows to recognize it as security software?

We have designed an innovative approach that allows us to run both as a recognized and certified/compliant primary line of defense as well as a layered or complement to other third-party security applications. Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium will only register
    in Windows Security Center if there is a third-party anti-virus program registered (i.e. a non-Microsoft anti-virus program). If there is only a Microsoft antivirus registered and active, we will not register in Windows Security Center in order to preserve
    the benefit of layered security. If desired, users will be able to go into Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium Settings and change this behavior to force Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium to either “always register” or “never register”.

If the older systems involved have gone through installations of 3rd-party AV products in their past, it's possible that these contain remnants of these products or their registration with Windows, causing Malwarebytes installation process to become confused
    and register itself in the Windows Security Center as well.

Rob

Rob Koch, Jan 20, 2017
  4. New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security

According to them, you do not need to run AV alongside this version.

For the record anti-virus is the obsolete name, anti-malware should be used.

Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement | Malwarebytes Labs
    Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0 - YouTube

TairikuOkami, Jan 20, 2017
  5. Wullail Win User
    The new Malwarebytes 3.0 is currently bugridden , their support has asked me to revert to version 2.XX for the mean time until their coders can squash some of the issues.

Wullail, Jan 20, 2017
  6. Bastet Win User
    While it's good that MBAM & MBAE have been combined into one program there's a few bugs in MBAM 3.05, although since the newest update it is much better. I have my doubts that it'll be a complete all-in-one solution, I can see it being the solution if using Windows Defender but it hasn't been tested against the other anti virus program so there's nothing to compare it to & see how good (or bad) it is in catching malware/viruses.

Bastet, Jan 20, 2017
  7. prikker Win User
    I use it as standalone. I have a lifetime license. Before version 3 I used it in combination with Avira free.

prikker, Jan 20, 2017
  8. JohnBurns Win User

New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security

Agree with you Wullail - I have uninstalled MBAM 3 - at least for now. Too many frustrations in it's present state. I really hated to do this as I have had MBAM for years and own 3 lifetime licenses.

JohnBurns, Jan 22, 2017
  9. Borg 386 Win User
    I reverted back to the old version of Malwarebytes so I could also run MBAE. The only free standing version of MBAE is now beta versions, so if you want the anti-exploit protection without paying for the premium MBAM, you'll have to be a tester. I reinstalled the last good release version of MBAE & that's what I'm running now.

Borg 386, Jan 22, 2017
  10. prikker Win User
    The very first time I installed MBam 3 Windows Defender turned itself off recognizing MBam as an anitvirus program, but after the latest update not anymore. Strange don't you think? In the beginning MBam 3 sucked, because of all the protection is off warnings and I couldn't set weekly scanning, but after the latest update, no more of these problems.

prikker, Jan 22, 2017
  11. prikker Win User
    According to MBam their product does. Someone needs to test that, to proof if it does.

prikker, Jan 22, 2017
  12. Winuser Win User
    Their product does what?

Winuser, Jan 23, 2017
  13. New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security

hmm well thanks for the insight on the malware bytes aspect of it. I have been running malwarebytes in trail mode on both my desktop and surface pro and have disabled my avast internet security. and I have not seen any problems yet so far. mostly been using the surface though. nothing wrong here.

darkschneider94, Jan 23, 2017
  14. now what i am wondering is the aspect of the antivirus what do you guys think paid or free what do you recommend. for either. I'm leaning towards webroot which is what we kind of sell towards our clients and they seem to have great results with it. even cleaning up and recovering from ransomware a few clients managed to get. But I'm open to suggestion to test and try as when my avast subscription is up I am not renewing. and I do not think I will go the way of internet security and will do the paid malware bytes. even if i pay for antivirus. I just think at this point the internet security is redundant. if you going to open and allow something your going to. and windows firewall is good enough now adays and can be supplemented. I will be looking into securing my home with hardware fireware like pfsense and be looking into vpn for my surface likely anyway to up protection.

darkschneider94, Jan 23, 2017
  15. mrgeek Win User
    I run Malwarebytes 3 along side Windows Defender. It picks up popup web pages very well and has detected a couple potential threats before running. Also, it has the anti-exploit and ransomware all running. Defender has also detected a couple things missed by mbam. I will continue to run both.

For anyone experiencing problems with MBAM, use their clean uninstall tool to COMPLETELY remove the program and all hidden entries and reg values, not the uninstall in the Prog folder or Control Panel, before re-installing. Latest tool download (2.3.0.1001) is in Step 1 here -
    Malwarebytes | How do I uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Mal...

mrgeek, Jan 26, 2017
Thema:

New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security

1. New Malwarebytes 3.0 and the need for anti virus internet security - Similar Threads - Malwarebytes need anti

2. How to make MalwareBytes my primary Anti-virus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to make MalwareBytes my primary Anti-virus?: How do I make Malwarebytes my primary Anti-virus?How do I disable Windows Defender?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-make-malwarebytes-my-primary-anti-virus/c94678ab-3c47-409b-a2af-c8514e72195f
  3. Security, Protection, Anti-virus

Security, Protection, Anti-virus: I just got a new computer. It comes with Windows Defender Antivirus. What else should I get? Where should I purchase it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/security-protection-anti-virus/1d92f470-64d9-4fd6-a26b-0c6be1f434e5
  4. Windows 10 registers Malwarebytes as anti-virus program

Windows 10 registers Malwarebytes as anti-virus program: Hello, I use AVG anti-virus and Malwarebytes running on Toshiba Satellite with Windows 10. The Windows registers both as anti-virus and says Malwarebytes is off (it isn't) and I get an error icon on the side bar and notification. I also followed a link to security and...
  5. Security, Anti-Virus protection

Security, Anti-Virus protection: I have Viper Security installed on my Laptop, I have recently had a problem with receiving phony scams from a third party (inferring they are from Microsoft). I reported that to Microsoft Security. I now would like to switch from Viper to Defender (which is on my laptop)....
  6. Need an Anti Virus/Internet Security Package that works

Need an Anti Virus/Internet Security Package that works: I've been struggling to find an Anti Virus/Firewall/Internet Security package that is fully compatible with Windows 10, and all of my components in all of my PCs. It wasn't long ago that I was getting the Blue Screen of death regularly, and after doing a little research, I...
  7. Malwarebytes Anti -Exploit

Malwarebytes Anti -Exploit: At the moment I'm using Bitdefender anti virus and Malwarebytes anti malware. Would it be advantageous to install the above program. I'm not sure I fully understand what this program is trying to do. I have read the description on their web site but I must admit it's a bit...
  8. Need a new Anti-Virus.

Need a new Anti-Virus.: I got a Critical update on the 17th. Since then, Tablet(Windows 10) has been running slow. Tried doing a System Restore. AVG blocked the restore. Ended up removing AVG. Tried Windows Defender. Updated it and tried to run the scan. Defender kept freezing 3 seconds into the...
  9. Malwarebytes anti-malware home premuim found a virus

Malwarebytes anti-malware home premuim found a virus: Hey guys my Malwarebytes anti-malware home premuim found a virus on 12/28/2015 the virus is called Registry Keys: 2Trojan.Agent, HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\IMAGE FILE EXECUTION OPTIONS\MRT.exe, Quarantined, [9bde31124b3fcf67160c05712fd509f7],...
  10. Norton Security & Anti Virus vs Webroot Internet secutity

Norton Security & Anti Virus vs Webroot Internet secutity: Any one have an opinion on these security programs. I have an older computer being repaired by the Geek squad and the technician recommended Webroot over Norton. I am presently using Norton. The packaging for the Webroot does not say anything about virus protection. I checked...