Windows 10: new monitor text and app problems

Discus and support new monitor text and app problems in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 and installed a new 27" BenQ monitor earlier today. It worked perfectly when I first started the PC. When I shut it down, there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by freewheelingfrankie, Jul 11, 2018.

1. new monitor text and app problems

I'm using Windows 10 and installed a new 27" BenQ monitor earlier today. It worked perfectly when I first started the PC. When I shut it down, there was a Windows 10 update. When I restarted it later, all the apps were very small and black text is multicoloured. I can set the text to be larger or the resolution to be smaller but it's still multicoloured and I can't find a setting that reverts me to how it was earlier. Pictures and PDFs look absolutely normal. Any suggestions as to how I can find the ideal setting - or whether something is actually wrong?

:)

freewheelingfrankie, Jul 11, 2018
  2. Seally Win User

Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup

This is probably the most painful issue I have with Windows 10 right now (and likely previous versions as well, but I didn't have a multi-monitor setup back then).

The monitors I have are as follows:
    • 3840x2160 (4K UHD) monitor with preferred DPI: 144 (150%)
    • 1920x1080 (Full HD) monitor with preferred DPI: 96 (100%)

Whenever one of these monitors are set as primary, all desktop applications displayed on the secondary monitor (doesn't matter which) has blurry text. Exceptions are the Windows Store Apps like Windows Store and Microsoft Edge, along with the Taskbar/Start Menu, the Taskbar/Start Menu settings screen, the Taskbar context menu, and the desktop context menu which passes the DPI test with flying colours, with crispy text on both monitors (occasionally a DPI switch bug gets in, but I can mostly ignore that). The problem is, as you can probably guess, is that >99% of the applications I use aren't Windows Store Apps.

Here are some screenshots. The "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" text is what the text should look like while the Visual Studio 2015 text is an example of the text most desktop apps get. The blurry image is what happens when the UHD monitor is not the primary monitor.
    Attachment 48493Attachment 48494
    Note: Both of these screenshots came from the 150% DPI monitor so it's best viewed at that (144) DPI level. The 96 DPI monitor is similarly affected.

Things I've already tried:
    • Reinstall the graphics driver (this was unhelpfully given by a Microsoft Support Engineer). Did this multiple times in fact for unrelated reasons.
    • Reinstall Windows 10 (through Reset This PC recovery option). I did this for also unrelated reasons but it definitely doesn't fix this issue.
    • Use the XP Explorer "fix". Merely worsens the problem.
    • Adjusting ClearType options. Alleviates the issue a bit but see next point.
    • Disabling ClearType on the affected monitor. The text obviously sharpens, but it's painful to read and a close inspection of the text reveals the issue isn't solved at all, only mitigated slightly.
    • Replacing the video card. I swapped this in with my older GTX 560 Ti but it's obvious the problem remains. Both it and my current card are NVIDIAs though, so it's vaguely possible the drivers or the cards themselves are the cause. I don't have an ATI/AMD card (that still works, at least) to test the setup and every Intel iGPU I have either has only one monitor output or is incapable of handling UHD resolutions.

Things I won't try:
    • Setting both monitors' DPI to 96. Text would become microscopic considering the UHD monitor's actual size.
    • Use the text resizing feature instead. I'm going take a wild guess that this is not monitor-specific and would cause everything on the HD monitor to be far too large to the point that I'd rather unplug it.

Does anyone have a multi-resolution, multi-DPI, multi-monitor setup with or without this issue? The text is painful to read on whichever is the secondary monitor right now, and is extremely apparent whenever the background is dark.

Seally, Jul 11, 2018
  3. Fuzzy Text - EDID Fix....Need Help

Computer: Zotac MAG HD-ND01, Nvidia ION Video.
    Monitor: Westinghouse 32" 1080P TV.
    Op System: Windows 7 64bit.

Problem: Fuzzy text when using HDMI @1920x1080P. Text sharp using VGA.

I know that the solution is to edit the registry to override the monitors HDID extensions to disable audio over HDMI.

I downloaded some tools like Phoenix EDID Designer, and Monitor Asset Manager but don't have a clue how to proceed.

I found this link mentioned in other threads to be dead:http://downloads.solarisutilitydvd.c...ide Tool.exe

Is there a step by step guide on this?

Thanks

blackcat54, Jul 11, 2018
  4. Sasqui Win User

new monitor text and app problems

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

new monitor text and app problems

1. new monitor text and app problems - Similar Threads - monitor text app

2. New monitor, new problems screensaver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New monitor, new problems screensaver: Hello, recently made the jump to an ASUS OLED monitor and it confirmed what I knew since looking at my parents CRT display for the last time as a kid...I hate LCD's for anything bigger than a medium tablet. SOO hooked on OLED. Anyways, I had a Dell LCD that I was replacing...
  3. New monitor, new problems screensaver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New monitor, new problems screensaver: Hello, recently made the jump to an ASUS OLED monitor and it confirmed what I knew since looking at my parents CRT display for the last time as a kid...I hate LCD's for anything bigger than a medium tablet. SOO hooked on OLED. Anyways, I had a Dell LCD that I was replacing...
  4. Monitor problem in new PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor problem in new PC.: I have a problem in new PC and I face this problem and my monitor just goes black screen sometime for 2 sec and then start working and this also happens while playing video on youtube and its shows green in some area but my PC is working fine. Help me here.My specs...
  5. Monitor problem in new PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor problem in new PC.: I have a problem in new PC and I face this problem and my monitor just goes black screen sometime for 2 sec and then start working and this also happens while playing video on youtube and its shows green in some area but my PC is working fine. Help me here.My specs...
  6. Monitor problem in new PC.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Blurry Text on Windows 10 with new computer & Monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Blurry Text on Windows 10 with new computer & Monitor: Hello Community, I am reaching out to you all for some help. My head is spinning trying to fix this blurry text issue in Windows 10. It looks like I am back on a 386 from the 1980s! I've spent the last day reading many threads on different forums surrounding various fixes...
  8. Jagged text in a new high res monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Jagged text in a new high res monitor: Hello I really need help with this , it's driving me nuts and I can't find any solution to it. I've got my new PC yesterday , everything was fine except from the text, I've noticed that it's a lot more jagged and pixelated than on my old pc. I've tried a lot of stuff...
  9. Just bought a new PC and new monitor, text's super blurry.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Just bought a new PC and new monitor, text's super blurry.: Hi, I have tried the following: -changing resolution (MS control panel & nvidia control panel) -cleartype text (MS control panel) -Performance options > checked smooth edge of screen fonts The specs are currently at 1920 x 1080 Full HD. 100% text recommended. Pictures...
  10. New problem with Acer monitor and desktop.

in Windows 10 Support
    New problem with Acer monitor and desktop.: For the past 2 days, my mom's Acer desktop that is listed in my specs is having issues with the monitor not waking up and the tower not entering into sleep mode. It's almost like it's getting stuck. I hope someone can help. Thanks! 100041

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new monitor text and app problems