Windows 10: New Motherboard and Reactivation

Discus and support New Motherboard and Reactivation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I did a clean install using the free upgrade offer a few weeks ago. Sorry to say, but it really looks like I will need a new motherboard, same make and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by socklosk, Aug 22, 2015.

1. socklosk Win User

New Motherboard and Reactivation

I did a clean install using the free upgrade offer a few weeks ago. Sorry to say, but it really looks like I will need a new motherboard, same make and model, but will be leaving everything else the same. Do you think Microsoft will reactivate it afterwards?

If not, I have backup images of my Windows 10, and was wondering if I could do a restore of my old system and purchase a new product code that would activate my already set up system?

:)

socklosk, Aug 22, 2015

2. Reactivating Windows 10 with new motherboard

Hello! I am planning on doing a significant hardware change, including the change of my motherboard. What I would like to know is whether I need to format my SSD which Windows is on in order to install it again with the new motherboard, or if I simply
    can plug it into my SSD without reinstalling Windows. I would also like to know how I can activate Windows with the new Motherboard. It says it is a retail channel license, however I do not have a license key.

KrissKania, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Reactivating Windows 10 with new motherboard

Plugging it into the new motherboard should be enough, but create a recovery drive in case you need to perform a startup repair:

The fact that you don't have a license key concerns me. If Windows 10 came preinstalled on your computer, you can't transfer it to a new computer or motherboard. You will need to purchase an entirely new license.

Learn more about transferring licenses:

Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

This should work if you have the previous Windows 7/8 with Product Key then try to install it first, Activated then restore your Windows 10

topgundcp, Aug 22, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    What socklosk is asking about is an issue of hardware bundling: In several countries, Microsoft is legally enabled to permanently bind a copy of Windows to one fixed PC. The question in these countries is: When, after which changes to the configuration, will Microsoft consider the hardware you have there to be a different PC with the consequence that your old software can no longer be used on it?

I do not know the answer - luckily I am in a country, where such annoyances are not legally possible.

Joergi, Aug 22, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    I **think** that if you are replacing a broken motherboard with an identical replacement then you have a good chance of successfully re-activating your current Win10 installation

Once you have installed your new identical motherboard to replace the broken one I recommend you do the following:
    • Speak to a Microsoft Activation Customer Service Representative on the phone.
    • You will be able to get the phone number via the activation screen in "Settings"
    • Clearly state that the motherboard used to initially activate Windows 10 had failed and needed to replaced
    • Clearly state that this is a repair and not an upgrade
    • Clearly state that you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical like-for-like replacement (same make and model)
    • Clearly state again that this is definitely not an upgrade of your existing hardware

FYI, I have successfully re-activated previous versions of Windows after replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model. I used the method to ensure success.

If you are not 100% clear in the way you are expressing your self then you may not be successful. ie They will not re-activate if they believe you performed a major hardware upgrade

Good luck.

WhyMe, Aug 22, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    I could be wrong, but surely the answer must be the same wherever you live. The EULA is the EULA and is a binding contract. It is my belief that as long as you are replacing a broken (failed) component with an identical replacement and DEFINITELY NOT doing an upgrade then that is allowed, regardless of where you live.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I am eager to learn! *Smile

WhyMe, Aug 22, 2015
  8. Room101 Win User

Hi all.
    Interesting thread.
    My MB won't post. Gigabyte z77x-d3h v1.0 (duel bios) upgrade to w10 from 8.1(paid £15 for w8) pro N. I started with w7 pro n. No problems the with upgrade.
    I've come to the conclusion that I need to replace both bios chips.

What does Microsoft conclude a upgrade?
    The cost of a 2nd hand z77x is around £50, £60. I would prefer to put the money towards a new MB and processor. All my other components would still be the same.
    To me the performance gain won't be that much different between my old and new system.
    Current system
    Intel i7 3770k oc to 4.5ghz
    Msi 280x
    Crucial 128ssd (w8.1)
    Samsung 256ssd pro (w10) activated
    Lots of other hard drives.

If I buy a new MB and processor (what ever the latest Intel socket is) would windows 10 still work?
    Knowing my luck I'll get the MB to work but w10 won't activate.

What the most annoying is I bought batman arkham knight Yesterday. It ran great. No glitches. Turn pc on this am. Boot. Boot. Reboot......... Noooo.

I blame the storm we had last night in the UK.
    Regards

Room101, Aug 23, 2015
  9. Replacement of a mobo with the manufacturer's recommended part should lead to reactivation by phone. Upgrading to any other board invalidates the license and may require a retail copy of Windows. If the OS upgraded from was OEM then the license is gone with an upgrade mobo. If the OS upgraded from was a retail FPP copy, then it can be reactivated on any new mobo installed and so should be the Windows 10 upgrade, although phone activation may be required.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 23, 2015
  10. WhyMe Win User
    It did for me! (although I do accept my unique uniqueness could well be a uniquely unique factor)

WhyMe, Aug 23, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sure it does. You just have to know how to get it. "slui 4"

NavyLCDR, Aug 23, 2015
  12. Room101 Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

My Windows 7 pro n was a VL. I paid for the windows 8 upgrade on the day it was released. £15 If I recall. So I'm guessing that I have a retail copy of w8.
    I have the original w7 and the w8 code.

So if I do buy a new MB I would have to install 8.1. Then upgrade to 10.

Room101, Aug 23, 2015
  13. Hydranix Win User

Replacing the motherboard even with the exact same model motherboard will not allow you reactivate Windows.
    Microsoft will consider this a different machine.

This is because part of the hardware signature that Windows activation calculates is derived from data stored in the motherboards BIOS EEPROM.

This part of the BIOS is installed when the motherboard is manufactured, and isn't intended to be modified by the user.
    Even when you update the BIOS with the files provided by the manufacturer, this data is not modified (or contained in those files!).

This is somewhat similar to how WIndows 7 activation used the SLIC entry in the ACPI table for OEM activation, but due to exploitation, they stopped this activation method at Windows 8.
    (It's a very simple process to embed a SLIC entry for any OEM into the BIOS, and then using that OEM's certificate and Serial, obtain a fully activated version of WIndows 7, which is completely undetectable to Microsoft...)

You can however use a perfect BIOS dump from your original activated motherboard, and write it to the new motherboard, if they the same exact model and revision, and are identical in every way other than serial number. This would effectively clone the board.

This isn't illegal, and since Windows 10 activation is automatic, and cannot be renounced, cannot be considered illegal in a strictly legal sense. Ethically it is dishonest though.

Hydranix, Aug 23, 2015
  14. WhyMe Win User
    That is definitely correct if replacing the motherboard as part of an upgrade. However, this not an upgrade. Therefore, I believe your conclusion is incorrect.

This is because replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model mobo is not an upgrade but a hardware repair. That type of repair does not meet the any specified definition of an upgrade as stated or defined within the EULA.

WhyMe, Aug 23, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    Anything can, and often is considered to be unlawful in cases where there is a breach of contract. As far as Windows goes, it could be argued that the EULA constitutes the legally binding contract. After all, you have to tick that you agree to the EULA before you can proceed with an installation. It does not matter how MS publicise their policies regarding hardware and upgrade as the only thing that matters, according to most judicial systems, is the legally binding contract.
    Please ignore. My post is irrelevant as I took your paragraph out of it's correct context. Apologies

WhyMe, Aug 23, 2015
Thema:

1. New Motherboard and Reactivation - Similar Threads - Motherboard Reactivation

2. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update: i recently updated my motherboards BIOS and after that my pc says that windows is not activated. i had upgraded from windows 7 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reactivate-windows-after-motherboard-update/a93ba7cf-61b3-4e71-9755-fc2c6c01fca6
  3. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update: i recently updated my motherboards BIOS and after that my pc says that windows is not activated. i had upgraded from windows 7 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reactivate-windows-after-motherboard-update/a93ba7cf-61b3-4e71-9755-fc2c6c01fca6
  4. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...: Hi thereI just upgraded to a shiny new motherboard and took the opportunity to also move to a larger and faster NVMe hard drive at the same time.I finally got it up and running last night; but I forgot to deactivate my Windows 11 Pro license key on the old setup...
  6. How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...

How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...: Hi thereI just upgraded to a shiny new motherboard and took the opportunity to also move to a larger and faster NVMe hard drive at the same time.I finally got it up and running last night; but I forgot to deactivate my Windows 11 Pro license key on the old setup...
  7. I have installed a new motherboard, and canť now reactivate windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have installed a new motherboard, and canť now reactivate windows 11: I have curently installed my C: M.2 SSD disk with windows on it on to a new motherboard, however after about 4 or 5 days the system prompted me to reactivate the windows licence. I have upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I have legally baught from official sources, and still...
  8. I have installed a new motherboard, and canť now reactivate windows 11

I have installed a new motherboard, and canť now reactivate windows 11: I have curently installed my C: M.2 SSD disk with windows on it on to a new motherboard, however after about 4 or 5 days the system prompted me to reactivate the windows licence. I have upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I have legally baught from official sources, and still...
  9. Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...: Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on my PC. I have an OEM:DM type licence according to the script?...
  10. Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...: Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on my PC. I have an OEM:DM type licence according to the script?...