Windows 10: New motherboard & Processor

Discus and support New motherboard & Processor in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Agree 100%. I don't think the DL was moved just by the single action of logging in with a MSA because I have a bunch of devices on my MSA and my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ronnielee09, Sep 17, 2017.

1. New motherboard & Processor

Yeah, the "linked to your Microsoft account" was added to make using the activation troubleshooter easier, but not a requirement for activation with a DL.

I think your new device replaced the old device because the Device Name (computer name) went along for the ride with the SSD. On a clean install you get a auto generated Device Name and I haven't found any way to overriding that during setup. Not with just the stock install, no answers file etc. I always end up going in after and changing it to what I want. Sometimes I see both names in my "My Devices" list. The old auto generated name and the one I set. I end up deleting the leftover. Microsoft seem to have cleaned that up as it hasn't happened in a while now. There also used to be a long delay, days sometimes, before the Device Name would catch up with what I changed it too. Anyway, interesting times.

alphanumeric, Sep 22, 2017

2. Successfully transferred my Bought Microsoft Pro Pack license from old system to new one recently after clean install, ended up using Microsoft chat support though as Activation trouble shooter didn't wanna work, even though license was attached to my Microsoft account. Transferred over also old SSD, didn't trust the sysprep option, so decided to do a full clean install, and system is running great now.

AMDMan2016, Sep 22, 2017
  3. Superfly Win User
    My point being that an MSA is required to transfer the licence. An existing DL will be picked up if the HWID matches irrespective.

So, what happens when one has multiple (for augments sake , say Pro PC's with different DL's but linked to same MSA) and a the Transfer Wiz finds the current device OK... does it then ask which existing licence to transfer?

Superfly, Sep 24, 2017
  4. essenbe Win User

New motherboard & Processor

The last time I tried that, each PC in your MSA is differentiated by the Computer Name, as I recall.

essenbe, Sep 24, 2017
  5. I haven't transferred a DL, as far as I know, not on purpose. My devices are listed by Computer Name.

Right now its out of date? My laptop shows as running 10 Pro but its actually running Education. I think its that way because I'm currently logged in with a local account on that PC. Education won't let you setup/install with a Microsoft Account. It wants an Azure or Office 365 account and rejects my Microsoft Account info. That forces me to log in with an offline local account then switch to a Microsoft account. I haven't done that yet. It looks like it remembering the last OS installed on that device that was linked to a Microsoft ID.

alphanumeric, Sep 24, 2017
  6. Forgot to mention, that laptop that has Education installed. Already had a DL for Education, and has been linked to my Microsoft Account in the past. I did a skip key when I did the install and it activated automatically with the DL on the activation server.

I have two desktop PC's and one Laptop, each one has DL's for Home, Pro, Education and Enterprise. The only one that shows in my devices list is the currently installed OS that is currently linked to my MSA.

7. Superfly Win User
    Thanx guys for the feedback. *092

Superfly, Sep 24, 2017
  8. New motherboard & Processor

9. Superfly Win User
    Sorry for hijacking this thread ...but I really don't get it.. I activated with a Pro OEM key but getting DL.

New motherboard & Processor [​IMG]

Superfly, Sep 24, 2017
  10. OEM Embedded Windows 10 key? I do believe I saw a similar post here some time back? As near as I can tell, the only installs that don't get a DL are Pro and Enterprise installs that use a Volume License key. Everything else including OEM installs get a DL.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

New motherboard & Processor

1. New motherboard & Processor - Similar Threads - motherboard Processor

2. I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...: I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install windows 11 on the pc I'm upgrading from 10 without using the original hardrive and without purchasing a new license?I'm theoretically using the same system to upgrade to 11. i don't want...
  3. I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...: I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install windows 11 on the pc I'm upgrading from 10 without using the original hardrive and without purchasing a new license?I'm theoretically using the same system to upgrade to 11. i don't want...
  4. I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Compatible Intel Chipsets for choosing correct processor and motherboard for installing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compatible Intel Chipsets for choosing correct processor and motherboard for installing...: Before choosing a motherboard from respective MB manufacturers, read the technical specifications of chipsets, then choose the required intel processor, and then choose the selected motherboard.For Intel Coffee Lake Desktop Processors 8th gen and 9th gen Intel® H310...
  6. Compatible Intel Chipsets for choosing correct processor and motherboard for installing...

Compatible Intel Chipsets for choosing correct processor and motherboard for installing...: Before choosing a motherboard from respective MB manufacturers, read the technical specifications of chipsets, then choose the required intel processor, and then choose the selected motherboard.For Intel Coffee Lake Desktop Processors 8th gen and 9th gen Intel® H310...
  7. New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11: I have bought a new motherboard and processor in order to upgrade to Win 11. Will I be able to keep existing programs and settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-processor-upgrade-to-win11/c22d9f62-2bf1-423b-8060-890f8e5c117e
  8. New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11

New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11: I have bought a new motherboard and processor in order to upgrade to Win 11. Will I be able to keep existing programs and settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-processor-upgrade-to-win11/c22d9f62-2bf1-423b-8060-890f8e5c117e
  9. cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM: i recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM and processor.after logging in and updating my drivers my windows started saying "activate windows"after going to the activation page and logging in.the activation wizard fails and then says contact support.i was on windows 10 before...
  10. cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM

cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM: i recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM and processor.after logging in and updating my drivers my windows started saying "activate windows"after going to the activation page and logging in.the activation wizard fails and then says contact support.i was on windows 10 before...