Windows 10: New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL

Discus and support New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This PC isn't mine, it's my co-worker's at home. He is a complete newbie, so he never attached his Microsoft account. The motherboard was replaced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by trashcanbin10, Oct 29, 2017.

1. New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL

This PC isn't mine, it's my co-worker's at home. He is a complete newbie, so he never attached his Microsoft account.

The motherboard was replaced with a completely identical type by the vendor, the old one kaput, as it's a HP Pavilion PC (still under warranty). Problem is the Windows is now unactivated and complains no CD Key installed.

What now?

:)

trashcanbin10, Oct 29, 2017

2. What hardware does the OEM license consider as being part of the original system?

1. I install Windows10 OEM home edition on a PC and the hard disk fails. When I replace the hard disk with a new one, I'll need to reinstall Windows and activate it with the same OEM license. Is this allowed?

Yes, that is allowed.

2. Same as above, but this time the motherboard is faulty (let's say it becomes faulty a few months after PC purchase) and needs to be replaced. After replacing the motherboard, can we continue using the same OEM license?

If you replace it with an identical motherboard, it is permitted.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Windows deactivated and will not reactivate

You say you replaced the Motherboard. Was it a change/upgrade or an identical make model replacement? Assuming your Win 8.1 was factory installed and activated, when the OS was upgraded to 8.1 PRO and Win 10 PRO it still was considered and OEM license.
    If the motherboard is an upgrade, you a *... Out of Luck . MS does not allow you to transfer "OEM" license to an upgraded motherboard. That is considered a "new computer". If the motherboard was a waranty replacement with an identical motherboard, then you
    will have to contact MS Support. I have been told that they can allow activation in that case.

Rohn007, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL

As it is under warranty it should be the vendors responsibility to fix this. Having said that, others who have changed their motherboards have reported that calling Microsoft and explaining the circumstances has often resulted in Microsoft activating it for them. Once convinced that it's genuinely the same PC, they tend to be sympathetic.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2017
  6. Calling as in Chat or Phone Call?

trashcanbin10, Oct 29, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
  8. Clintlgm Win User

I recently had to change the Motherboard of my business computer. When activation didn't work online, I simply called it in. it a mechanical response but you give them your numbers they give you back number write them down and don't lose them because they will work for you the next time you have to Activate at some later date. I actually put these numbers in a FrontdeskActivation.txt file. You shouldn't have any issues just the pain in the butt with calling in and all the numbers to get exactly right.

Clintlgm, Oct 29, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    What happens if you upgrade the CPU and /or amount of memory on the same motherboard?

Steve C, Oct 29, 2017
  10. The original motherboard most likely had an OEM embedded key. Those keys are unique to that motherboard. The new motherboard either has a different OEM Embedded key, or no Embedded key. showkey will tell you what's what. Who you call likely depends on what you find with showkey. If no key is found I'd be calling HP. If it has an OEM embedded key I'd just call Microsoft.

alphanumeric, Oct 29, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    If there is an embedded key in UEFI, I would just change the product key on the activation screen to that one.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL - Similar Threads - motherboard replacement identical

2. Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard: Hello,I purchased a Windows 7 Pro license in the form of a sticker and installed it on my computer. However, now the motherboard of the computer is damaged, and I replaced it with a similar one same model. Can I use the sticker for the damaged motherboard to activate the new...
  3. Replacing Motherboard OEM built PC Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing Motherboard OEM built PC Windows 11: I recently purchased an OEM built PC With Windows11. I'm about to upgrade my mother board, but I can't get my activation key from the OEM support. I'm planning to perform a clean install using a Windows 11 boot media. I believe activation will be handled when I log into my...
  4. Replacing Motherboard OEM built PC Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing Motherboard OEM built PC Windows 11: I recently purchased an OEM built PC With Windows11. I'm about to upgrade my mother board, but I can't get my activation key from the OEM support. I'm planning to perform a clean install using a Windows 11 boot media. I believe activation will be handled when I log into my...
  5. Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...: I have an old PC with Win10 Home edition, and a new one with Win10 Professional edition. Both are OEM pre-installed. I plan on restoring the new PC with a backup from the old, which will include the OS of the old. I'm fine with it reverting to Win10 Home edition. Will I have...
  6. Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...: I have an old PC with Win10 Home edition, and a new one with Win10 Professional edition. Both are OEM pre-installed. I plan on restoring the new PC with a backup from the old, which will include the OS of the old. I'm fine with it reverting to Win10 Home edition. Will I have...
  7. Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Oem windows on replaced motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Oem windows on replaced motherboard: Hi, so i have a dell xps 15 9560 whose motherboard is on the verge of dying, the graphics card fried year ago but it was still running through the onboard intel graphics somehow, and it is now too about to die off. My question is that if i get the motherboard replaced at a...
  9. Replace old laptop with a new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replace old laptop with a new one: I have bought a new laptop with windows 10 home on it my old laptop there was windows 10 pro installed. How can I get this version on my new laptop, I have the old hard drive were windows pro on is installed....
  10. Reinstall Win10 with old OEM key.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall Win10 with old OEM key.: My windows 10 has been acting funny for a while, its running on an ssd but still feels sluggish. I'm hoping a fresh windows install and drivers will help it feel brand new again. My question is, can I use my current key again? I have an OEM key which has been activated. Is...