Windows 10: New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL

Discus and support New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This PC isn't mine, it's my co-worker's at home. He is a complete newbie, so he never attached his Microsoft account. The motherboard was replaced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by trashcanbin10, Oct 29, 2017.

1. New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL

This PC isn't mine, it's my co-worker's at home. He is a complete newbie, so he never attached his Microsoft account.

The motherboard was replaced with a completely identical type by the vendor, the old one kaput, as it's a HP Pavilion PC (still under warranty). Problem is the Windows is now unactivated and complains no CD Key installed.

What now?

:)

trashcanbin10, Oct 29, 2017

2. What hardware does the OEM license consider as being part of the original system?

1. I install Windows10 OEM home edition on a PC and the hard disk fails. When I replace the hard disk with a new one, I'll need to reinstall Windows and activate it with the same OEM license. Is this allowed?

Yes, that is allowed.

2. Same as above, but this time the motherboard is faulty (let's say it becomes faulty a few months after PC purchase) and needs to be replaced. After replacing the motherboard, can we continue using the same OEM license?

If you replace it with an identical motherboard, it is permitted.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Windows deactivated and will not reactivate

You say you replaced the Motherboard. Was it a change/upgrade or an identical make model replacement? Assuming your Win 8.1 was factory installed and activated, when the OS was upgraded to 8.1 PRO and Win 10 PRO it still was considered and OEM license.
    If the motherboard is an upgrade, you a *... Out of Luck . MS does not allow you to transfer "OEM" license to an upgraded motherboard. That is considered a "new computer". If the motherboard was a waranty replacement with an identical motherboard, then you
    will have to contact MS Support. I have been told that they can allow activation in that case.

Rohn007, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL

As it is under warranty it should be the vendors responsibility to fix this. Having said that, others who have changed their motherboards have reported that calling Microsoft and explaining the circumstances has often resulted in Microsoft activating it for them. Once convinced that it's genuinely the same PC, they tend to be sympathetic.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2017
  6. Calling as in Chat or Phone Call?

trashcanbin10, Oct 29, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
  8. Clintlgm Win User

I recently had to change the Motherboard of my business computer. When activation didn't work online, I simply called it in. it a mechanical response but you give them your numbers they give you back number write them down and don't lose them because they will work for you the next time you have to Activate at some later date. I actually put these numbers in a FrontdeskActivation.txt file. You shouldn't have any issues just the pain in the butt with calling in and all the numbers to get exactly right.

Clintlgm, Oct 29, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    What happens if you upgrade the CPU and /or amount of memory on the same motherboard?

Steve C, Oct 29, 2017
  10. The original motherboard most likely had an OEM embedded key. Those keys are unique to that motherboard. The new motherboard either has a different OEM Embedded key, or no Embedded key. showkey will tell you what's what. Who you call likely depends on what you find with showkey. If no key is found I'd be calling HP. If it has an OEM embedded key I'd just call Microsoft.

alphanumeric, Oct 29, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    If there is an embedded key in UEFI, I would just change the product key on the activation screen to that one.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New motherboard replacement - identical to the old one - OEM Win10 SL - Similar Threads - motherboard replacement identical

2. I am replacing 10 year old PC with a new one.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am replacing 10 year old PC with a new one.: I am replacing 10 year old PC with a new one; is it better to have a clean start on the new PC, or use a back up of the old one? Both are the same brand. I tried to do a "clean up" using specific software; however, I do not think it has removed the old stuff and I do no want...
  3. Replacing the old Laptop with a new one having Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replacing the old Laptop with a new one having Windows 10: Presently, I am in a possession of Fujitsu Lifebook T4310 Tablet PC, which I purchased in 2010. Microsoft has notified that they will discontinue with Windows 7 from January 2020. So I have been told to upgrade to a new Laptop which has windows 10. I would like to upgrade...
  4. REPLACING EXISTING MOUSE WITH NEW ONE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    REPLACING EXISTING MOUSE WITH NEW ONE: My original 7 year old wireless HID mouse is annoyingly misbehaving although it still works so I have just bought a replacement wireless HID one by the same manufacturer but different model number. The mouse and keyboard are linked to my Windows system pc. I am using my old...
  5. Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one: and of course I have no idea where my record of my product key for Win10 Pro retail got hidden. I've tried the CMD and Powershell methods and no go. How do I get my product key so I can use it my new machine? I am posting from the old one that has the key right now. 116036
  6. win10 oem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 oem: Purchaced a OEM DVD of win10 --I am not sure what to look for when looking for the product code. I am accustomed to seeing 4 sets of 5 numbers but do not see the set on this package. 68932
  7. Replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing motherboard?: I probably missed seeing this in other threads. But here goes anyway. This particular word station is Windows 10 Pro upgraded from 8.1 Pro, I have not upgraded to the AU Upgrade. I have proprietary that I just haven't had time to see how it will work we don't expect an...
  8. Replacing Motherboard Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing Motherboard Questions: I'm replacing/upgrading my motherboard and have some questions about it. Right now I'm still on W10 1511 and want to do a clean install of the AU 1607 when I'm replacing the MB. The new motherboard is UEFI capable, and I want my clean install of W10 to be UEFI. My present MB...
  9. Reinstall with new Motherboard? Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall with new Motherboard? Win10: I've purchased all the components for my new PC..and it includes a completely new chipset on the motherboard (1151). I recently purchased a windows 10 key from here (Windows 10 Home 32-bit/64-bit English International: Amazon.co.uk: Software). The USB flash drive Home...
  10. replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    replacing motherboard: Guys, I'm planning to change my motherboard soon (defective ports and still USB 2.0) to a more recent motherboard. Coming from windows 7, I understand that replacing the parts would require a reinstall of the OS but maybe it will be a different case for win10. Just wishful...