Windows 10: Unlock Local Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Unlock Local Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Unlock Local Account in Windows 10 How to Unlock a Local Account in Windows 10 [img] Information The Account lockout duration policy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Unlock Local Account in Windows 10

How to: Unlock Local Account in Windows 10

How to Unlock a Local Account in Windows 10

Unlock Local Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Account lockout duration policy setting expires.

This tutorial will show you how to manually unlock a local account locked out by the Account lockout threshold policy in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to unlock a local account.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Unlock Local Account using Local Users and Groups
    • Option Two: To Unlock Local Account using Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to" error

OPTION ONE [/i] To Unlock Local Account using Local Users and Groups

Note Local Users and Groups is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type lusrmgr.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Users and Groups.

2. Click/tap on Users in the left pane of Local Users and Groups. (see screenshot below step 3)

3. Right click or press and hold on the name (ex: "Brink2") of the local account you want to unlock, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. In the General tab, uncheck the Account is locked out box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note If Account is locked out is grayed out and unchecked, then the account is not locked out.

5. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Unlock Local Account using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net user "user name" /active=yes

Note Substitute user name in the command above with the actual user name (ex: "Brink2") of the locked out local account you want to unlock.

3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 8, 2017
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Unlock Local Account in Windows 10 :(

Zakin, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. New Local Account Not Working In Windows 10

Hi Scott,

This issue could have happened due to corrupted profile on your Windows 10. We suggest that you delete the non-working profile on your PC and try to register it again.

To delete your non-working account, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on the *Start menu**. It's the Windows logo in the bottom left of your screen.

• Click on Settings.

• Click on Accounts.

• Click on Family & other users.

• Click on the account you wish to remove.

• Click on the remove button.

• Click on the Delete account and data button.

We also suggest that you follow the steps on this
    link
    to create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Unlock Local Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unlock Local Account

2. Local account / Windows account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local account / Windows account: Had to replace my SSD a month ago after a failed 22H2 update. The computer shop created an admin account on the new install and I initially used that account and connected my microsoft email and office 365 to the account.This admin account is a local account and I would like...
  3. Local account / Windows account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local account / Windows account: Had to replace my SSD a month ago after a failed 22H2 update. The computer shop created an admin account on the new install and I initially used that account and connected my microsoft email and office 365 to the account.This admin account is a local account and I would like...
  4. windows 10 local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 local account: I just did a new install of 10 and it created a local account and everything seems to go under the local account instead of the Admin me account. How do I make windows 10 use the Admin account instead?...
  5. Windows 10 Local Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Local Account: Hello, I have a recently refreshed my computer Windows 10 Pro. Soon after, I noticed another 'local administrator account' named 'scheduler'. Should i be worried about this account? Is there a reason i should not delete the account and if so, where can i get more...
  6. local account/windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    local account/windows 10: I was wondering if there was any windows 10 installation that you can download that allows local accounts vs. microsoft accounts. Although the Microsoft Accounts might have advantages if someone has several computers, I have customers who need me to reformat their computers....
  7. Unlock Administrator Account Win 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unlock Administrator Account Win 10: How do I unlock an administrator account on Win 10? I purchased the computer from my daughter and she nor my granddaughter remember the passwords. My daughter was the first owner but she allowed her daughter to use it and my granddaughter name appears on the startup screen...
  8. unlock local disk c

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unlock local disk c: Hi,I am Cyrus.I locked my local disk C and all now I get is access denied.I do not have any administrator rights anymore.However I have accessed "Administrator:X\windows\system32\cmd.exe" and I have taken control of drive C via that "command promt".I don't know next command...
  9. Unlock Local Account using Local Users and Groups

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unlock Local Account using Local Users and Groups: I've typed lusrmgr.msc into Run, Right click on the name (ex: "user1") I want to disable, and click on Properties. And in the General tab, uncheck the Account is disabled box, and click/tap on OK. But when I click on its properties, the checkbox is check again. No matter how...
  10. Creating a Local Account in Windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Creating a Local Account in Windows 10?: Hi guys, When setting up Windows 10 to create a Local Account, do I need to have my Last Name there or can I have only my First name? I am only setting up a Local Account and NOT a Microsoft account. So can I enter my First name only when I create my local account...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unlock local user in windows 10