Windows 10: New OneDrive question.

Discus and support New OneDrive question. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Previously... When I placed files in the OneDrive folder on my PC they were automatically uploaded to my OneDrive in the cloud. Does the version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by fjk61011, Oct 1, 2017.

1. fjk61011 Win User

New OneDrive question.

Previously...

When I placed files in the OneDrive folder on my PC they were automatically uploaded to my OneDrive in the cloud.

Does the version of OneDrive in 16299 operate the same way?

:)

fjk61011, Oct 1, 2017

2. OneDrive Questions

OneDrive sync engine can only sync with one location, so either your O: or C: drive, but not both.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 1, 2017
  3. OneDrive Questions

I am on Windows 10 and setup Onedrive but have a couple of questions.
    My setup is as follows:
    1. OneDrive which I mapped to (\\CHARLEYSP3)(ONew OneDrive question. :) - all folders and files marked with an X.

2. Located on C: drive? C:\Users\Charles\OneDrive - all folders and files marked with green checkmark.
    #1. and #2. stay in sync when I make changes.
    3. The link to the on-line onedrive OneDrive

- this isn't always in syn with the other two.
    Questions:
    1. Are all three of these locations physically on OneDrive or is #2 physically on my PC?

2. Are #2 and #3 two different physical locations on OneDrive so I am not at risk for losing data?

3. Why does #3 not immediately sync when I make changes. I have to manually run uploads to get my changes in sync?
    Thanks

CharlesOstertag, Oct 1, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

New OneDrive question.

Everything stored in OneDrive folder on local computer will be automatically uploaded to OneDrive cloud, and will be available both on local PC and accessing OneDrive from a browser on any PC.

This applies to all versions of OneDrive and Windows.

Kari, Oct 1, 2017
  5. fjk61011 Win User
    I'm also a bit flummoxed by Files On Demand.

fjk61011, Oct 1, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    Files on Demand means that although all files in OneDrive cloud are shown in your local OneDrive folder, only those either created locally and stored in OneDrive folder or those opened on local computer are physically present on your local PC.

An example: The Word document highlighted yellow in below screenshot was created on another PC and uploaded to OneDrive. Because I have not opened it on this PC, my OneDrive folder only shows it as placeholder (cloud icon). This means that file is available in OneDrive but not downloaded to this PC.

New OneDrive question. [​IMG]

The document highlighted green was also created on another PC but because I opened it for editing on this PC, it was downloaded and shows the checkmark icon.

Files on Demand means that you can show the whole contents of your OneDrive on local PC but it only uses as much storage space that is needed. In my case, I have over 63 GB on this specific OneDrive on cloud, but as I have only opened and edited some of the content on this PC, it only takes less than 8 GB storage space. Those files I have opened on this PC or created on this PC are also stored locally, those files created on other machines (or this one before last reinstall) are shown as available on demand. First time I open any of on demand files on this PC, it will be downloaded and thereafter be stored locally, too.

More: Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Kari, Oct 1, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    One "problem" with Onedrive is that it will only sync folders that are subfolders under the Onedrive folder.

There is a neat trick you can use (using symlinks) where you have a dummy folder under Onedrive that is linked to a folder elsewhere, so if you make changes to that folder elsewhere the files get automatically synced.

You cannot use Files on Demand for symlinked folders (which makes sense).

Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

New OneDrive question.

1. New OneDrive question. - Similar Threads - OneDrive question

2. How does OneDrive scan files when uploading folders? Privacy Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does OneDrive scan files when uploading folders? Privacy Question: Good day Community So I have a major privacy concern.I have not uploaded anything to OneDrive due to Privacy reasons regarding my very personal photos.One day I installed OneDrive because Windows said it needed it to finish setting up my PC. OneDrive said I did not back up...
  3. How does OneDrive scan files when uploading folders? Privacy Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How does OneDrive scan files when uploading folders? Privacy Question: Good day Community So I have a major privacy concern.I have not uploaded anything to OneDrive due to Privacy reasons regarding my very personal photos.One day I installed OneDrive because Windows said it needed it to finish setting up my PC. OneDrive said I did not back up...
  4. Not a question. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without using Onedrive right click...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not a question. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without using Onedrive right click...: Not a question. I had a hard time figuring out Windows 11 and am still learning as I go. I needed to save photos on my computer without using OneDrive for certain folders. I learned this option on my own and hope I am correct. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without...
  5. Not a question. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without using Onedrive right click...

Not a question. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without using Onedrive right click...: Not a question. I had a hard time figuring out Windows 11 and am still learning as I go. I needed to save photos on my computer without using OneDrive for certain folders. I learned this option on my own and hope I am correct. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without...
  6. Question: Can I upload about 62 GiB of videos to move from Personal OneDrive on Microsoft...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question: Can I upload about 62 GiB of videos to move from Personal OneDrive on Microsoft...: I consider it a complete backwards step that Microsoft is counting email attachments in my OneDrive storage quota until they decide it's no longer the right thing to do for everyone using OneDrive. Because of that, I'll fill up my 100 GiB Box Drive Personal Pro account as...
  7. Question: Can I upload about 62 GiB of videos to move from Personal OneDrive on Microsoft...

Question: Can I upload about 62 GiB of videos to move from Personal OneDrive on Microsoft...: I consider it a complete backwards step that Microsoft is counting email attachments in my OneDrive storage quota until they decide it's no longer the right thing to do for everyone using OneDrive. Because of that, I'll fill up my 100 GiB Box Drive Personal Pro account as...
  8. OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question: First I apologize for this not being in the right thread. But I’m not sure where it should actually be located since it’s a Microsoft app. I use a phone not a PC with my OneDrive app. I accidentally deleted my OneDrive, can I reinstall and still have all my files since it’s...
  9. OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question: First I apologize for this not being in the right thread. But I’m not sure where it should actually be located since it’s a Microsoft app. I use a phone not a PC with my OneDrive app. I accidentally deleted my OneDrive, can I reinstall and still have all my files since it’s...
  10. OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question