Windows 10: New partition scheme on clean install

Discus and support New partition scheme on clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I wanted to combine the system reserved (with boot files) partition with the recover (WindowsRE) partition. Somewhere in the process I lost the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NavyLCDR, Dec 19, 2015.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

New partition scheme on clean install

So, I wanted to combine the system reserved (with boot files) partition with the recover (WindowsRE) partition. Somewhere in the process I lost the ability to set the recovery environment to WindowsRE on the recovery partition so I decided to start over from scratch.

My HP DV6 laptop has a "hybrid" bios. It supports EFI booting but will not boot from a GPT disk. I wanted to verify this so I booted into MiniTool Partition Wizard, deleted all the partitions on my HDD and initialized it to GPT. I booted into Windows 10 USB created with the latest ISO downloaded from Tech Bench. I selected custom install option and pointed setup to the unallocated space on the GPT HDD and expected to get the "Can't install Windows to a GPT disk" error. Instead setup went through normally. Hmmm.....

So I let it finish, and then looked at my HDD in disk management. To my surprise, I ended up with an MBR disk with only 2 partitions on it - a 500mb System Reserved partition and the rest a Windows 10 system partition. So Microsoft seems to have changed two things when installing to a blank HDD. Setup will at least reinitialize the disk as MBR when GPT can't be used (have no way of checking if the reverse is true). And now, at least on MBR disks, Microsoft has combined the System Reserved and Recovery partitions. I verified my 500mb System Reserved partition contained both the boot files and the WindowsRE environment.

So, then I shrunk the Windows 10 system partition by 4.5gb, added the 4.5gb to the System Reserved Partition, copied all the files from the Windows 10 setup ISO (except for boot folder) to the System Reserved partition and then used EasyBCD to add an entry to the boot menu for Windows Setup pointing to the boot.wim file in the sources folder. I also added the install.wim file to the recovery environment using reagentc /setosimage.

Then I copied a Macrium Reflect Free rescue.iso and a MiniTool Partition Wizard ISO to the System Reserved partition and added bootmenu entries for the ISOs using EasyBCD. So, my computer is now exactly the way I want it, thanks Microsoft! One System Reserved partition that contains the boot files, WindowsRE environment, install.wim for system Reset, and boot menu options to run Macrium Reflect Free, MiniTool Partition Wizard, or clean install Windows all from the System Reserved partition!

:)

NavyLCDR, Dec 19, 2015

2. window boot option

Use the first option - MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI

You can launch setup in File Explorer or if you are performing clean install, boot from the BIOS.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 19, 2015
  3. I appear to have an issue with a corrupt mbr file on my hdd running Windows 10. I have run through all of the options on the advanced trouble shooting screen but not fixed.

Please use Rufus to create an Installation media.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...

Under the Partition scheme, choose MBR partition scheme for BIOS/UEFI rather than GPT partition scheme for UEFI.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 19, 2015
Thema:

New partition scheme on clean install

1. New partition scheme on clean install - Similar Threads - partition scheme clean

2. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  3. Clean New Install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean New Install: I recently retired and was given my work surface pro on the way out. I need to do a clean install on my Surface Pro as I no longer am part of the enterprise. I keep getting a pop up window stating I need to activate windows. How do I proceed? Thanks....
  4. Partition scheme is in a mess

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition scheme is in a mess: When I started out my partition scheme looked like this in Easeus Partition Master. I was unable to get into recovery. I ran cmd reagentc /info. It said it was disabled. I attempted to enable it but it said there was no recovery. (However, there are 2 partitions of approx....
  5. Clean Install - Partitions

Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  6. Clean Install 2004 Has New Partition Order

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install 2004 Has New Partition Order: I just noticed on both my platforms that were given clean installs of 2004 using the MCT that the partition order that's been consistent since 1511 has now changed and the naming is slightly different. Not that it really affects anything, but has anybody heard why or have a...
  7. Clean Install Partitions Query

Clean Install Partitions Query: My laptop has become somewhat slow to login and switch between accounts. I want to do a clean install. See the partition map below. The 500GB SSD has two main partitions - C: for system files and X: for backups. I'm happy to wipe C: and the other system partitions but want to...
  8. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  9. No System partition on new clean install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No System partition on new clean install: I did a clean install build 10130 on separate (MBR) ssd. All other ssds (Win 7 and Win 8.1) were unplugged. I ended up with no "system" partition. I use the Win 8.1 ssd as the first in the boot order and this drive has a "system" partition from an earlier Win 10 install. All...
  10. New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created!

New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created!: Normally I Partition my drives myself using Gparted. With a Fresh out of the box (Not even formatted) I wanted to see what Win10 would do with the drive. It created 3 partitions (Which surprised me). I expected an EFI partition, and the OS partition, but I didn't expect...