Windows 10: new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Discus and support new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following. Ive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by davnav, Jan 30, 2018.

1. davnav Win User

new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following.

Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ?

Next I need help on how to clone the 1tb hdd to the
    Ssd drive, step by step and best software to use and have the ssd as the main drive then use the the 1hdd for storage.I just dont want to break my new system
    Thanks for your time.

:)

davnav, Jan 30, 2018

2. Replacing 120GB SSD with 1 TB HDD

When I first built my PC, my 120GB SSD C: drive was plenty big enough since I had a 1TB HDD D: drive. Now though I am hitting the limit of my SSD and I want to migrate to a new 1 TB HDD. I cloned and swapped and it booted, but Windows is still only seeing
    120GB of my new 1TB drive. How do I fix this?

BruceKrafft, Jan 30, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    New computer - how to move OS to new (larger) drive?

Since it is a new computer, your current SSD will contain the OS, Drivers, Manufacturer specific apps, Recovery Partition . . . etc. your best option is to clone that drive onto the new SSD

Remove your 1 TB HDD and replace it with your new 1TB SSD

Then use 3rd party software like the free version of AOMAI Partition Assistant to clone existing SSD onto new SSD

Download AOMEI Partition Assistant

https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-m...

Step by step to cloning your SSD:

https://www.disk-partition.com/help/clone-hard-...

DaveM121, Jan 30, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Most recommendations for cloning is Macrium Reflect. HOWEVER, you may have issues if the SSD is not the same size as the HDD. If I were doing it I'd do a clean install on the SSD instead. You probably haven't many files you created yet, that exist nowhere else. If your new machine came like my ASUS a year ago you may have a smallish C: partition and larger D: partition on the HDD, maybe cloning the C: will work with the SSD, or in other words partition size can be important.

Berton, Jan 30, 2018
  5. davnav Win User
    I just wanted to clone as its brand new and working well and thought it would be easy as all drivers are done and I've already installed my internet security etc plus I dont know the windows key as cant see on tower and it didn't come with any windows disc.Thanks

davnav, Jan 30, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    Once Win10 is installed and Activated the key really is immaterial, it's a Digital Licensing and when connected to the Internet can be or will be re-activated.

Berton, Jan 30, 2018
  7. AndreTen Win User
    What issues are you referring to Berton? Cloning will do just fine, if the size of data on current drive is smaller than size of free space on SSD.
    Otherwise, I agree with clean install,...

Macrium is fine, also Minitool partition wizzard is great with its system transfer mode...

Edit: one more thing.. With Macrium reflect, instead of cloning, making Image of system disk and then restoring it to a new disk could be even better. And you get your first system backup *Wink

AndreTen, Jan 30, 2018
  8. Word Man Win User

*Thumbs

Word Man, Jan 30, 2018
  9. davnav Win User
    Thanks for all the input its much appreciated but I need it the simple way step by step if possible or a link which I could follow.
    Before I go any further the ssd kingston 240gb doesn't show up in my computer it asks for mbr or Gpt but which should i choose ?

davnav, Jan 30, 2018
  10. AndreTen Win User
    GPT for new EFI based systems.

As for making image. The best would be, if you have any external drives (they are almost "must have" for storing system backup). But you could make image on existing HDD too.

Start Macrium reflect free and check this tutorials by Kari
    *Arrow Tutorials | www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61026-backup-restore-macrium-reflect

AndreTen, Jan 30, 2018
  11. Word Man Win User
    @davnav - if You go the route suggested above of backing up the large drive and restoring to the SSD, make sure you've selected ALL partitions on the source disk for the backup and be aware of the following IF the SSD is smaller than 1 TB:

1) You could shrink your Windows partition of the original disk from within Disk Management so that everything is small enough to fit on the SSD BEFORE making the backup image OR

2) You can resize the Windows partition AS YOU SET UP the restore from Macrium using drag and drop and resizing the partition to fit. Here is a step by step direct from Macrium on doing the resizing I speak of (Kari's tutorial does not cover it), see in particular Steps 5 & 6: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/di...ion+properties

Of course, much simpler if your SSD is 1 TB and you need not bother with what I write here.

Word Man, Jan 31, 2018
  12. AndreTen Win User
    It's 240 GB. Mentioned somewhere above *Wink

AndreTen, Jan 31, 2018
  13. Word Man Win User

Oh, thanks! Duuuh.... *Redface

So, then OP should take what I posted into consideration for backup/restore strategy.

Word Man, Jan 31, 2018
  14. davnav Win User
    Thanks very much for all the advice its much appreciated, im going to check it all out and hope I can do it right

davnav, Jan 31, 2018
  15. Word Man Win User
    Please let us know how it works out, davnav.

Word Man, Jan 31, 2018
Thema:

1. new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed - Similar Threads - 1tb hdd ssd

2. I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB: Hi! On Thursday, I bought a New SK Hynix 1 TB Hard Drive, figuring I'd upgrade my 3 year old Dell Inspiron 3567 laptop that understandably is slowing down over time. So I downloaded Macrium Reflect Free edition and connected my SSD via SATA to USB 3.0 cable to the USB 3.0...
  3. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  4. Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to...: There are files on the HDD that have only an unknown SID with "F" permissions. There also NTFS bugs living in the ACLs ~your permissions are not properly ordered~. In the list of ACLs only a single SID has Full power and that SID is unknown to the new Windows 10...
  5. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices: A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives. Whether they're right or...
  6. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices: A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives. Whether they're right or...
  7. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  8. Macrium....Cloning pc with SSD and HDD ????

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium....Cloning pc with SSD and HDD ????: I want to do a clone backup of my laptop that has an SSD for the OS and program files and an HDD for the data files I am unsure of how to do a clone backup involving the two drive configuration As seen in the capture below do I clone the two drives separately to their...
  9. Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done?: Hello first off yes I know 1TB is way bigger than 525Gb but my dell inspiron 3650 isn't even a month old yet and I have only used 178 Gb total from the HDD. So my question is should I still be able to clone the hdd with 178Gb used(includes hidde to the ssd which has 475Gb...
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058