Windows 10: New PC build - Constantly freezing

Discus and support New PC build - Constantly freezing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello guys, I've just build my first PC and it has been working fine for a week. Although I didn't install a graphics card, I installed some games... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jvr, Sep 7, 2016.

1. JVR
    jvr Win User

New PC build - Constantly freezing

Hello guys,

I've just build my first PC and it has been working fine for a week. Although I didn't install a graphics card, I installed some games (League of Legends and GTA V ) just to see the perfomance without a GPU, and it was surprising well, also the CPU temperature was below 38°C.

So here are the specs:

i5 6600K
    Asus Z170-P
    Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
    Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR4-2666 (2x4GB)
    Samsung Evo 850 250GB
    PSU Corsair VS650
    Corsair Carbide Series 200R

So yesterday the PC froze randomly and I thought it would probably be some Windows 10 error. Then it kept freezing again and again even on the Windows 10 logo screen. I had to shut it down every time and reboot, and IF I was lucky to get some startup options before freezing again, I could choose safe mode and it would work without issues during safe mode.

Then I tried to boot from USB and CD to do a clean install and it froze again during the spinning dots with the Windows logo. At this point I realised that its probably a hardware issue or some BIOS settings are messed up. I tried switching RAM modules and slots, switching hard drives, remove any USB cabling, nothing worked.

Since its my first build I don't know much about configuring BIOS and the only things I did when I first built the PC was to 1) Update BIOS, 2) Enable XMP. Then it worked flawlessly from there until yesterday for no reason. I monitored the temperatures daily and everything was below 40°C (expect some Speed Fan readings AUXTIN 2,3 which showed degrees over 100°C but I read that its probably an error, and I verified that by also checking the temperatures through BIOS)

Also since this PC is new, I could ask for a replacement but I'm not sure which component is responsible, whether its motherboard, RAM or CPU.

I would really appreciate it you could help me out with that *Sad

Thank you*Smile

:)

2. kennysq Win User

Windows 10 and flash player

Same problem here ....

Ever since you anniversary build Flash players do not work and the store apps that use flash players will freeze PC and I have to shut down machine manually this is constantly doing this .

None of your repairs work .

kennysq, Sep 7, 2016
  3. Pc with latest version of windows 10 installed internet page constantly freezes.

l have new pc with latest version of windows 10 installed when using internet am constantly getting page freezes or dropouts,having constantly reload pages which is quite frustrating,frankly l think windows 10 is so over rated.

Is there a simple way to fix this problem or do l have to wait until Microsoft addresses this issue

Original Title: Pge freezes

Steve1957YD, Sep 7, 2016
  4. GAS
    Gas Win User

Check it disabling XMP, and leave value to default.
    In the past i had a similar problem with XMP enabled.

5. JVR
    jvr Win User
    Yeah I've already tried that and also cleared CMOS but still nothing changed.

6. dalchina New Member
    If you are using build 1607 (the anniversary edition) be aware freezing is a widely reported issue. (Search the web for 'windows anniversary problems'.

If so, see
    Microsoft Fixes the Windows 10 Freezing Issues - Windows 10 Forums

Of course your particular problem may be something else.

You could check your event log and reliability history in case there's anything helpful there, but it's possible there won't be for freezes.

dalchina, Sep 7, 2016
  7. JVR
    jvr Win User
    This issue looks that is OS related. I'm almost 100% sure that my issue is caused by hardware since the freezing appears even when booting from CD. I even removed all hard drives and just tried to boot from the Windows 10 DVD and it froze again.

Some updates:

1) I ran a Memtest to see if the RAM was causing the issue but it looks like the RAM is fine after 4 passes. (I know that 4 passes are not enough but I have experience with Memtest and it usually gives the errors on the first test)
    2) Managed to boot to desktop after reseting the default BIOS settings (again), but after 2 minutes it froze again.
    3) I uploaded some pictures of BIOS in case any of you experts could help me figure this out as quickly as possible.

Thanks guys

8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 7, 2016
  9. GAS
    Gas Win User
    [
    Some updates:

1) I ran a Memtest to see if the RAM was causing the issue but it looks like the RAM is fine after 4 passes. (I know that 4 passes are not enough but I have experience with Memtest and it usually gives the errors on the first test)
    2) Managed to boot to desktop after reseting the default BIOS settings (again), but after 2 minutes it froze again.
    3) I uploaded some pictures of BIOS in case any of you experts could help me figure this out as quickly as possible.

BIOS Screenshots

Thanks guys[/QUOTE]

Do you see any kind of abnormal activity in the "Activity Manager"?

10. JVR
    jvr Win User
    Thanks for suggestion I'm gonna try that as well. I also tried installing Windows 7 from a USB but still the same outcome.

I couldn't manage to open a program because it froze almost immediately.

As you can see in the first two pictures I posted, thats where the PC freezes almost always, so I can't do much inside Windows.

11. GAS
    Gas Win User
    Try using the rear USB port to boot fom USB stick

12. davefaz Win User
    Hello.
    Random freezing at any moment, even during power up, is invariably a hardware issue, but these things really can be tricky to locate. It's a question of trying to work out what is the most likely cause, testing that, then moving on to the next most likely cause.

In my many, many years of building PC's, the random "anytime" freeze has always been down to RAM, so it's the first place I would look.

You do realise that your CPU doesn't actually support the RAM speed you bought? Just because you can set that in the BIOS doesn't mean it will work. So check that you are running the RAM at the speed set by the CPU which I think is 1866? ( Not sure about that, you will have to check ).

After that I would try replacing the RAM completely. Of the very few RAM issues I have had, every time they have been Kingston. Kingston is good RAM but it does tend to have some little quirks. In particular, I would be very concerned about one item in the Fury spec, which is "Automatic Overclocking". You really want to avoid automatic anything in case it needs to be switched off! So the first thing I would do is replace the RAM with a different make. Corsair generally being the better alternative.

davefaz, Sep 7, 2016
  13. JVR
    jvr Win User

Tried that, still the same

I double-checked my components before buying them and I verified that the i5 6600k would work with RAM speeds up to 3000Mhz, so I doubt that the CPU is not supporting my RAM. I also tried lowering the RAM speed to 2133 Mhz but I still have the same outcome. I also did a Memtest with 4 passes so that would probably exclude that the RAM modules are faulty.

I believe that the fault is either with my board or with the voltages/speeds. I just need someone with the expertise of configuring BIOS to verify that my BIOS settings are correct.

14. JVR
    jvr Win User
    Guys I think I may have find out what the issue is. If anyone could confirm this I would be really happy *Biggrin

I checked the motherboard's supported RAM models and I couldn't find the exact model of my RAM.

Here is the pdf with the DDR4 Qualified Vendors

My model is this one: HX426C15FBK2/8

I could only find HX426C15FBK2/16 to be available and some other similar models but not my specific one.

Could this really be the issue here?

(Also something else I noticed is that in another PDF which lists the 'Device Report' , I can't find my power supply there (Corsair VS650) but I'm 99% sure that's compatible with the particular motherboard)

Any advice on that it'd be much appreciated guys *Smile

15. GAS
    Gas Win User
    I don't think it's a matter of compatibilty, your PSU should work fine and the root of your RAM is the same except you have a 2X8 and the other one is 2X16.
    The point is: if the system worked fine for one week, what did happen to make it freez? did you install any new HW/SW or driver before it started freezing?
    and also try booting your BIOS with what is colled "SAFE" or something like that in your BIOS boot page

Thema:

1. New PC build - Constantly freezing - Similar Threads - build Constantly freezing

2. PC Constantly Freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Constantly Freezes: I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I've seen other posts that describe a similar issue that may be caused by Windows 11. My PC will just freeze and be completely unresponsive. The monitors will stay on, but the mouse won't move and audio stops immediately. The...
  3. PC Constantly Freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Constantly Freezes: I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I've seen other posts that describe a similar issue that may be caused by Windows 11. My PC will just freeze and be completely unresponsive. The monitors will stay on, but the mouse won't move and audio stops immediately. The...
  4. Windows 11 constantly crashes on a new PC build

Windows 11 constantly crashes on a new PC build: I have tested all hardware components and they all passed. I also sent the motherboard back to the retailer for testing and they found no faults. It either crashes right after I exit BIOS or randomly while in use not doing anything demanding.I did a fresh install of Windows...
  5. Built new pc but it constantly freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built new pc but it constantly freezes: Hello,I've recently built a new pc but every so often the display freezes and I can't do anything other than force shut down the system via the power on button. I went to the sysinfo to check for crashes but I can't find any information there last event is the force shut...
  6. Built new pc but it constantly freezes

Built new pc but it constantly freezes: Hello,I've recently built a new pc but every so often the display freezes and I can't do anything other than force shut down the system via the power on button. I went to the sysinfo to check for crashes but I can't find any information there last event is the force shut...
  7. New build freezing

in Windows 10 Support
    New build freezing: Within the past month, I put together a new desktop with the following components: CPU - Intel i7 10700K Mobo: Asus Prime B460M-A Ram: Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 (2 x 8Gb) SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus The power supply and everything else was from previous build. On two occasions,...
  8. Constant BSOD on brand new PC build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant BSOD on brand new PC build: I had a pc store build me a brand new PC a month ago that has the following specifications. Asus Tuf gaming b460M-Plus motherboard, i9-9900k processor, RTX 3060 12GB, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD running windows 10 pro 20H2 OS build 19042.928 with a 800W PSU. Since purchasing it, I...
  9. Constant Freezing of PC

Constant Freezing of PC: Hi, I experience Freezing from time to time and upon checking with "View Reliance History", it says it's a hardware error. Please see the log below and hope someone can help me understand the problem with a solution. Thank you Log Source Windows Summary Hardware...
  10. Brand new PC build keeps freezing?

Brand new PC build keeps freezing?: Hi, I recently upgraded my PC and installed the latest version of Windows 10. However, I've been experiencing issues where the PC will occasionally freeze temporarily and the CPU speed will spike to 4.7 GHz. I'm just on my Desktop with a couple of programs open, usually Task...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new built pc reezing