Windows 10: New PC build, SATA drives disappear on reboot...

Discus and support New PC build, SATA drives disappear on reboot... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hopefully someone has seen this before.... Just built a new PC. Everything works great but when I reboot, two of the hard drives vanish. I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sedril, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Sedril Win User

New PC build, SATA drives disappear on reboot...

Hopefully someone has seen this before....

Just built a new PC. Everything works great but when I reboot, two of the hard drives vanish. I have to shutdown and start for them to reappear. When they vanish, even bios doesn't see them. Drives are good, they're from my other PC, cables are good. Can't figure out if this is a motherboard hardware problem and I need to RMA it or if some setting is causing this... The two Vertex 3 SSD's are the ones vanishing....

Specs:
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    CPU: i7 7700k
    RAM: G.Skill DDR4 4133 16GB (running at 3333 right now)
    Drives: Boot: Samsung 960 pro 512gb m.2, Storage: Vertex 3 120gb x2 raid 0, WD Black 1TB x2 raid 0
    GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 970
    PSU: EVGA 1200 P2

Everything is watercooled with great temps.

:)

Sedril, Feb 19, 2017

2. HDD Disappears and reappears....

I am running Windows 10 latest build on a Dell Optiplex 9020 machine. The PC is brand new and came with Win 8.1 which I upgraded to 10 some months ago. I've been having problems with my secondary SATA HDD from the beginning and have been searching and googling
    this for quite some time. I am now quite certain it is an OS issue and not hardware related. Maybe I'll get a solution here New PC build, SATA drives disappear on reboot... :)

The facts:

1. Three Hard drives on my PC. The first is SSD and doesn't concern us. two more internal HDDs - each one 4TB from WD, connected via SATA.

2. From time to time one of them will simply disappear. Really disappear - in mid work, even from Device Manager and not just from Disk management. It's simply GONE. It happens when the PC comes back from sleep (but not all the time) and even in mid work
    - even in the middle of copying a file to it!

3. I have crossed cables, SATA ports, and drives. It's not a drive issue cause first it was doing it to HDD #1 and now after I switched between them it's doing it to number 2 New PC build, SATA drives disappear on reboot... :). It can't be the SATA ports because eventually it will do it no matter which
    port (out of four!) the drive is connected to. they can't all be faulty. And it's not the cable cause, well, I switched it New PC build, SATA drives disappear on reboot... :)

4. Sometimes, but not always, after this happens and I reboot the drive is also gone from the BIOS. I have to do a complete shutdown, unplug it from SATA, boot up, shut down again, replug it, and then (almost always) I get it back. if not, rinse and repeat...

5. I have a theory this has something to do with PUIS of the HDDs, even though according to Microsoft this issue was addressed in much earlier releases of Win10. If it is PUIS related - it makes sense that even the BIOS will get confused because WIN sends
    a PUIS command and the BIOS doesn't support it.

6. Another reason I believe this has something to do with Windows - today I was working as usual without the drive the went missing some hours before. I simply didn't have the energy for another reboot session. Out of nowhere Windows simply announced "new
    volume!" (it was very proud of itself New PC build, SATA drives disappear on reboot... :)) and I got the drive back. What The?

7. I would appreciate any help on this. It's driving me nuts.

MikeMelnik, Feb 19, 2017
  3. DVD drive not appearing after Windows 10 latest upgrade

DVD drive no longer showing after latest windows 10 upgrade. In Device Manager there is an exclamation mark on the device, if I remove this and select find new hardware the exclamation mark disappears and the drive is usable. If I then reboot
    the PC the drive disappear and the exclamation mark reappears.

DonaldThomas1960, Feb 19, 2017
  4. Sedril Win User

Just to add some more info....

I moved the two vertex 3 drives to the same ports as the WD 1tb drives... The Vertex still vanished. So that tells me it's likely not a SATA port issue...

I then removed the Vertex drives and added two more WD 1b drives, they don't vanish, everything works just fine on reboots.

So I think it's some compatibility issue with the Vertex 3 drives and my Asus motherboard... Has anyone heard of this? Sure seems unlikely but I can't think of anything else it could be... I even changed power cables and plugged them into different plugs on the PSU... Only drives that do this are the Vertex. And they are just fine and work perfect until I do a restart....

Any ideas?

Sedril, Feb 19, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    With out checking your mobo manual for myself......but I believe that your issue is with your SATA ports in the BIOS. Make sure that each port is enabled (turned on).

I found this out the hard way myself on my Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 7 mobo. Once I did that all was good.

Plankton, Feb 19, 2017
  6. Sedril Win User
    Thanks, yeah, they're turned on... When I put the other pair of WD 1tb drives in their place everything worked fine...

Can't figure out why these are vanishing....

Sedril, Feb 19, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Nice build there, very nice *Smile

AddRAM, Feb 19, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Are you sure? I literally had to turn my other 5 ports on (enabled them) in my BIOS.

Plankton, Feb 19, 2017
  9. Sedril Win User
    I'm positive they are enabled. I have tested other drives in the same exact ports, in fact all of the ports. It sure seems like the board has a problem with Vertex 3 drives, and only on reboot, other than that they work fine.

Anyone else happen to have Vertex 3 drives on a Z270 board?

Sedril, Feb 19, 2017
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I had he exact same problem with a Vertex 2 (SATA II) drive. Not sure if there's a relation though.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New PC build, SATA drives disappear on reboot... - Similar Threads - build SATA drives

2. Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot: - If one of your drives, other than the drive where Windows is installed, does not appear when you switch on or restart the computer;1- Switch off the computer completely, disconnect the power and wait for 10 seconds.2- Restart the computer again and check if your drivers...
  3. Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot: - If one of your drives, other than the drive where Windows is installed, does not appear when you switch on or restart the computer;1- Switch off the computer completely, disconnect the power and wait for 10 seconds.2- Restart the computer again and check if your drivers...
  4. Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Slot type SATA ODD disappears after a while and only rebooting fixes it.

Slot type SATA ODD disappears after a while and only rebooting fixes it.: I have Windows 11 fully qualified system with MSI x299 motherboard and a case that only a slot type DVD fits into. There are no eject buttons on slot type which can make it difficult to remove DVD.The system is set to never sleep. Unaccountably, the ODD disappears after a...
  6. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  7. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  8. transfer hard drive to new DIY pc build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transfer hard drive to new DIY pc build: I have an old Dell desktop ~8 years old with two much newer Western Digital hard drives that I would like to use in a new DIY build. Are there possible problems, either with the Microsoft Windows 10 license or with interfacing into a new motherboard?...
  9. building new pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    building new pc: building new pc do I have to buy windows 10? ihave it on my old pc already. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/building-new-pc/009f6c4e-9118-4d79-b775-df1c6d5d068d"
  10. disappearing hdd drives. build 14393

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disappearing hdd drives. build 14393: My hdds randomly disappear from os . I have to reboot to gain access. Failing sata ports or build issue? 56939