Windows 10: New PC, Can not see shared drive

Discus and support New PC, Can not see shared drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all Got a brand new PC with windows 10 Home premium. Setting it up I wanted to map my WD shared drive in the office. I can not even see the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ben2611, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Ben2611 Win User

New PC, Can not see shared drive

Hi all
    Got a brand new PC with windows 10 Home premium.
    Setting it up I wanted to map my WD shared drive in the office. I can not even see the drive let alone map it. I have tried all sorts, switched on f&p sharing via elevated command prompt, enabled it in the network adaptor. When I check the box in advanced security and sharing it will not remain checked. I have tried this in both private and public networks.
    It's driving me up the wall now.
    Does anyone have any more ideas?
    I'm not even allowed in via IP in explorer

:)

Ben2611, Apr 23, 2017

2. Windows 10 fails to properly install local/home printer

Deepak,

I have done the steps you suggested but with out resolution. I can see the Windows XP PC and the shared printer in Explorer just fine along with any shared drives, and folders shared from the Windows XP PC.

Any new ideas? I appreciate your responses.

Thank you,

Greg

fastncrazy, Apr 23, 2017
  3. home network - laptop can't see the PC

First, I am not using a Homegroup, but a wired network through the house. Until recently both the laptop and the PC saw each other and we could access files on both computers from the laptop and the PC. I then installed an SSD as the new 'C' program drive,
    with the old C drive (a HDD) as the new J drive (data only) on the PC. Nothing has changed to the hardware or software on the laptop.

Now, the PC can see and access the laptop as it did before. However, the laptop cannot see the PC, but it does see the ISP's Hub.

Disabling Norton Firewall on both computers makes no difference. Network discovery and sharing are on.

Any ideas, please?

oldloggie1, Apr 23, 2017
  4. mQ573 Win User

Is it IN the office (i.e. local LAN) or AT the office (i.e. remote)?

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  5. Ben2611 Win User
    it's in the office, local. Via access point and router. Never been a problem with win7 or 10 before

Ben2611, Apr 24, 2017
  6. mQ573 Win User
    How is it installed? Direct connection to the AP, or to a computer?

If it's to the AP, try connect it to the router.

Pls post the HDD model. It's a WP, right?

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  7. Ben2611 Win User
    It's a western digital device wired to a router, router wired to access point, access point wired to win10 pc. Nothing has changed on the network map at all. The problem is with the new pc

Ben2611, Apr 24, 2017
  8. mQ573 Win User

Sorry, I don't buy that. You're asking for help, so pls let me decide where the problem is and kindly provide the information I asked for. Thank you.

Now, can you connect another PC to the AP and see the drive? Then we'll both agree where the issue is.

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  9. Ben2611 Win User
    I have replaced an old PC on win7 which was connected up exactly as the new one is.
    The old PC, and my laptop on 10 can see the drive and are mapped

Ben2611, Apr 24, 2017
  10. mQ573 Win User
    So you don't want to tell me your WD model?

What do you see under Network in Explorer? Please post a screenshot.

Then open a command prompt window and type:
    NET VIEW >C:\Netview.txt
    NET SHARE >C:\Netshare.txt
    Pls post the two text files created above. You may delete them afterwards.

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  11. Ben2611 Win User
    Its a WD My Book Live AP1NC
    Here a shot of Explorer, when other PCs in the office are on, they appear also.
    Upon clicking the storage icon it takes me to the WD login page in browser.

New PC, Can not see shared drive [​IMG]

This is what I got from a command prompt

New PC, Can not see shared drive [​IMG]

Ben2611, Apr 24, 2017
  12. mQ573 Win User
    I'm assuming all of the above was run on the new computer. True?

So, you can see the drive (confirmed by your screenshot), but it doesn't expand upon clicking. Right?

What happens after you login?

Did you try mapping a network drive in Explorer using \\The-Brain\(Some folder on the drive)?
    Or replacing The-Brain by its IP address that you mentioned you knew.

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  13. Ben2611 Win User

Yes on the new machine.
    No, doesn't expand upon clicking.
    After I log in all I can do is adjust the settings of the drive, users etc.
    I have tried to map the drive by name and IP.
    I have also tried to navigate in explorer by IP eg \\192.168.1.75 with no luck.
    As I mentioned before, I am unable to keep the file and printer sharing 'on' in advanced sharing.

Ben2611, Apr 24, 2017
  14. mQ573 Win User
    Don't use \\. Just the IP address, and if it's the right one it should open the HDD login page.

Meanwhile, you can try creating shortcuts to your shares on the HDD. If it works, you can always remove (Disconnect) the shortcuts later.

On the new machine, open File Explorer / Select This PC.
    Computer / Map network drive button / Map network drive
    Choose a drive letter and type \\This-Brain\Full path to the share (like C:\Users\MyName\Documents).
    Tick Reconnect at sign-in / Finish

You should see a new drive in Explorer under the letter you chose.

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  15. mQ573 Win User
    Oops, I forgot file and printer sharing:
    Is your network of type private?
    Is network discovery ON?
    Is the Server service running?
    Command prompt window / Type NET START
    If you see SERVER in the list, it is running.
    If you don't type NET START SERVER

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
Thema:

1. New PC, Can not see shared drive - Similar Threads - shared drive

2. What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?: I am trying to set up shared drives on my WORKGROUP, but after one of the latest Windows updates, it has started asking for us for a username and password to access other computers on the network. That is fine, except it rejects correct passwords. We tried the computer user's...
  3. What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?: I am trying to set up shared drives on my WORKGROUP, but after one of the latest Windows updates, it has started asking for us for a username and password to access other computers on the network. That is fine, except it rejects correct passwords. We tried the computer user's...
  4. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  5. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  6. Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files: A user reported an issue where they couldn't use the search function to search within a shared drive they connected to.I have tried various steps including indexing options, and other file types.Within indexing options, I noticed the .xlsx file type was missing from the list....
  7. Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files

Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files: A user reported an issue where they couldn't use the search function to search within a shared drive they connected to.I have tried various steps including indexing options, and other file types.Within indexing options, I noticed the .xlsx file type was missing from the list....
  8. Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10: Hello. I have searched hundreds of articles it feels like. I've tried regedit, services, network settings for file share, right click to add permissions, etc. so here is there scenario. I have 3 computers+ a workstation at home. My workstation runs 24/7 for a game server +...
  10. Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10: Hello. I have searched hundreds of articles it feels like. I've tried regedit, services, network settings for file share, right click to add permissions, etc. so here is there scenario. I have 3 computers+ a workstation at home. My workstation runs 24/7 for a game server +...