Windows 10: New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?

Discus and support New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey all. I need all your genius minds and help here. Bought a new Dell PC running Win10 with 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD. After deleting the bloatware... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kabigon, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Kabigon Win User

New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?

Hey all. I need all your genius minds and help here.

Bought a new Dell PC running Win10 with 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD. After deleting the bloatware (which was surprisingly minimal), I have about 60GB of free space. Tried installing a few basic programs but they all kept installing on C:\ drive. Even the ones that allowed me to "choose installation folder" on my 2nd drive took up some residual space on C:\ via User cache, App settings, etc.

After doing my research, I realize I have only a few ways to solve this problem:

1) Continue doing what I am doing now, which is doing my best to install as few as possible programs on C:\ and reserve HDD for media/data/games/other programs that let you store their content on that drive. Another option is to go straight to upgrading the SSD to a larger one, but I I find this impractical since my PC is basically new!

2) Use applications that act as Junction or Symbolic Link creators to divert installation and/or cache folders/files to my 2nd HD. This is actually problematic for me due to the sheer amount of programs I eventually would like to install but simply can't "Create a one-touch link of all Program Files" to the new HD. This method is also very confusing and tedious.

3) Re-installing Win10 with a clean installation without the Dell pre-configured stuff (which is not an issue since I do not have anything installed at this point), and maybe figure out a way to partition the SDD just for booting and minor storage purposes. Then using the 2nd HD with the User/Program Files, so every single program will be installed there? Or something like that. Not sure how this would work or what I would need to do to even make this possible. I don't mind this option at all since my PC has nothing on it and installing wouldn't take too long.

Or any other ideas? Thanks.

:)

Kabigon, Dec 5, 2017

2. New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

Does the Dell system have two physically separate hard drives and/or is the SSD preset as a cache for the 1TB drive? If there is only one unified drive or the SSD is set up as a cache you should not try to partition them as separate drives. Refer to the Dell
    Specs, Support, docs, and forums.

Dell Support

Support | Dell Deutschland

Dell Drivers - Product Manuals & Warranty Info (left side) - Tech Support and more

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us...

Dell Forums

Page Not Found - Dell Community

Dell PC Diagnostics

Diagnosetools

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Dec 5, 2017
  3. New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?

Start - Settings - System - Storage - scroll down to "Save where new content is saved".

Many programs allow you to change the installation drive if desired.

When saving in most programs you can change the Drive, Folder, and Filename as desired.

SpiritX MS MVP, Dec 5, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Kabigon and Welcome to TenForums *Smile

You will find a lot of the information you need in the Tutorials. It is possible to move all the apps from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD) and change to this new location for all future installations of Apps. To get you started here is the first tutorial:

Move Apps to another Drive in Windows 10

At the end of the tutorial section you will see links to other related tutorials.

You will also need to change the location for where all your documents, pictures, downloads etc are stored:

Change Storage Save Locations in Windows 10

To keep space free make sure you turn on Storage sense:
    Turn On or Off Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

Hope this helps!
    Phil

philc43, Dec 5, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Kinda defeats the purpose of having an SSD if you are going to run everything off the HDD anyway.....IMHO.

You could keep it simple and reinstall Windows and everything to the HDD and maybe just run the pagefile on the SSD.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2017
  6. Unfortunately this is the problem with SSD drives. They are still too expensive to have large sizes. So a user has to micro manage things. I got 500 gb for mine but even that is down to 180 left despite using my 3 TB mechanical HD for most installations.

A few years back I had a cache SSD and this was great. No need to micro manage. It was 128 gb in size and used 64 gb (with 64 gb allocated for over provisioning or something like that). It kept hot data on the SSD and the lesser used stuff on the HD and cleverly moved things around. It's a shame these things never really took off. Although not as fast as SSD they were still more than fast enough for everyday use. Way quicker than conventional hard drives. The only danger was (at least with my one which used software called dataplex to manage it) was unclean shutdowns could cause some problems.

Scottyboy99, Dec 5, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Even with a couple of huge games installed and MS Office, I've never gone over 100GB used for Windows + Apps/Programs. The largest SSD I have installed is a 256 GB and it only has 88.4 GB used. If I was @Kabigon, I would just bite the bullet, get a 256 GB or 512 GB SSD and do it right.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2017
  8. New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?

Yeah I think 128 gb is a little on the small side. Prob best to change it sooner rather than later as I guess it'll mine a painful reinstall of windows and getting everything set back up.

On mine I made a couple of mistakes because everything by default wants to install to C: and you must remember to change it. Luckily my steam installation I made sure was on the conventional HD seeing as 95% of my games are from there.

Scottyboy99, Dec 5, 2017
  9. Kabigon Win User
    I tried that but it only works with a few programs. I am fully aware of programs that let you choose installation directory and folders.
    However, a lot of programs that I want to install (Chrome, Adobe, Office, etc.) will AUTOMATICALLY install to C:\ regardless. And even if there are options to change the installation directory/folder/cache, there is some residual files that must stay in the C:\ such as Users or AppData. If there isn't a way to completely migrate everything over from the beginning, then I'll have to accept choosing a happy medium where I will have to have some storage in the C:\ drive no matter what.

Kabigon, Dec 6, 2017
  10. philc43 Win User
    An install on C: of W10 Pro + MS Office should require less than 40GB. I agree you can't prevent some files ending up on C: but I had hoped the methods shown would help you keep things manageable.

philc43, Dec 6, 2017
  11. dmesal Win User
    Good Day all

just to say i don't install allot of items but i do do office 2010 and a very few others video players and editors and once as file is converted and such is moved to other drives (many others) music, movies, work and such. i do have the pri C 1tb but i keep it as clean as possible. and only use this.

New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD? [​IMG]

no major games.

DME

dmesal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD? - Similar Threads - SSD+HDD possible programs

2. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  3. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  4. SSD only recognised as HDD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD only recognised as HDD.: Hello, I have two SSDs in my computer a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo used as the boot device and 1TB Crucial MX500 used as secondary storage. After a computer refresh and restart I ran the defrag program to optimise the drives and noted it recognised them as standard HDDs and was...
  5. Slower PC: Possible SSD or HDD problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slower PC: Possible SSD or HDD problem: Two weeks ago more or less i started noticing that PC was slower, while playing games, which is mostly what i do since its a gaming setup. I started to get slower, laggy and sometimes freezes. To a point where it completely freezed windows functions, the bar wasnt working and...
  6. New PC with SSD and HDD setup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New PC with SSD and HDD setup: I'm having issues completing my environment setup on my Dell XPS 8930 desktop computer. As mentioned in the subject line, my PC has both an SSD and HDD. The operating system (Windows 10 Pro) is on the SSD as Drive C. The HDD is 2tb and I plan to use this for my user data....
  7. Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD: Hello, Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop Name: Steam Target:...
  8. New pc build ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New pc build ssd and hdd: Hello, I am planning a brand new build and would like to install a 120gb ssd as my boot disk, and a 1Tb for pretty much everything else. What is the best way to go about this? And how do I make the hdd the default for downloads, storage, etc. This will be a clean, new...
  9. Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?): Hi all, I'll be getting a new gaming Desktop PC in a few days time, and I've never had a computer with both a SSD and a HDD (the one I have now is nearly 11 years old! And it's all installed on a single HDD [though a lot of my files are on an External HDD to save room])....
  10. new laptop: Is it possible to migrate OS from SSD to HDD (yes to HDD)

in Windows 10 Support
    new laptop: Is it possible to migrate OS from SSD to HDD (yes to HDD): Hi, I recently bought an MSI GL62 6QF laptop and unfortunately although it is an excellent laptop it has some limitation that might urge me to return it system: 128 GB SSD in M.2 PCI-e (Windows pre-installed here) 1 TB HDD If you could help me I would like to know...