Windows 10: New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB

Discus and support New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I recently acquired a second-hand PC that had everything working fine but lacked a hard drive. I bought a 3TB HDD and installed it. Afterwards,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rneogy, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Rneogy Win User

New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB

Hi,

I recently acquired a second-hand PC that had everything working fine but lacked a hard drive. I bought a 3TB HDD and installed it. Afterwards, I installed Windows 7 (because I had a key for it), and then I upgraded to Windows 10 because I prefer it.

I noticed as early as when I installed Windows 7 that the PC only detected 746GB of my hard drive. After doing some research, it appears that this is a common problem when adding large storage HDDs exceeding 2TB. Unfortunately, most of the solutions involve reformatting the entire HDD since most people add the 3TB HDD as an extra drive. However, since I have installed the OS on this drive, I cannot do that.

I would like some advice with either extending my OS partition to the full 3TB or creating a new partition with the rest of my storage space - whichever is better or more efficient. I have already accessed the Disk Management program built into Windows, and here's an image of what I see:

New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB [​IMG]

Note that it started with the 3 main partitions (C, the 1300, and the other 746) before I even tried anything. First I tried creating a simple volume in the 1300, intending to extend it to the other 746, but I was unable to do so (the extend button was grayed out). Afterwards I deleted the volume, and now for some reason it calls that space "free space" instead of "unallocated."

Any instruction as to what is the best course of action would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

:)

Rneogy, Jul 20, 2016

2. Max disk size for Windows 10

I know this doesn't answer your question about Windows 10, because I do not know.

However, the problem you're running into with your Windows 7 machine, and the 2TB limit, and the "wasted" 1TB on your 3TB drive.

I had this problem when I cloned a 2TB drive to a 3TB drive, and found 2TB (2047.9GB actual) in use, and 1TB wasted (746.52 GB actual) .

My HD was Seagate and the solution was Seagate's Disc Wizard. Information about this can be found at: Support for Disk Drives Beyond 2.2 TeraBytes (TB) and 4K Advanced Format Sectors | Seagate Support

With a youtube video at:

The Disc Wizard didn't allow me to have a 3TB partition, but did allow my computer to access the 746GB as another drive letter.

If you have another manufacturer for your hard drive, perhaps they have a similar hard drive manager.

Dan - 80010, Jul 20, 2016
  3. how to move windows 10

hey, im recently buy 3tb hard drive ..........my old one is 500gb so can i move windows 10 to my new 3tb hard drive.

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

sunnymazumder, Jul 20, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Does the computer have UEFI firmware instead of legacy bios? If the computer has UEFI firmware then you really need to bite the bullet, wipe the hard drive, and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode which will do away with the 2TB limit that you have now with legacy bios and MBR partitioning on the hard drive.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408

NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2016
  5. I had a similar issue when I tried to install a 3TB HDD in W7 (as a data drive).
    It turns out that one of the AMD motherboard drivers was causing the issue.

I fixed the problem by removing the AMD driver and reverting to the default W7 driver.

Have a look at this thread on SevenForums (Post #4):
    http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...-problems.html

I'm not sure if W10 will boot from a GPT HDD though. *Sad

lehnerus2000, Jul 20, 2016
  6. Rneogy Win User
    Thanks for the quick response!

I'm not sure about the UEFI stuff - how do I check whether it has UEFI or legacy BIOS?

As for reinstalling Windows 10 - do I have to install Windows 7 and upgrade again, or is there a way to install Windows 10 and not have to show a license key (or use the current one somehow).

Rneogy, Jul 20, 2016
  7. Rneogy Win User
    Yeah I've seen a bunch of solutions like this - unfortunately, I don't think it applies if the OS is on the 3TB drive.

Thanks for the response though *Smile

Rneogy, Jul 20, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If it is the Dell Precision T3500 in your system specs then you have a legacy BIOS. Legacy BIOS pretty much limits you to 2TB useable on the boot drive which must be MBR partitioned. Your best bet (and performance boost) would be to get an SSD as the primary drive to run Windows from and move the 3TB hard drive to a secondary storage drive. As the secondary storage drive it can be converted to a GPT partitioned disk and all of the 3TB will become useable. You can partition it however you want - multiple smaller partitions or 1 big 3TB partition. That also provides you with an easy means to keep a backup image of your OS from the primary drive (whether it be an SSD or 2TB or smaller hard drive).

Now that you have done the upgrade once and have a digital entitlement for Windows 10 stored at Microsoft, you can clean install Windows 10 directly by just skipping the product key when it asks for one and it will retrieve that digital entitlement to activate itself.

NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2016
  9. Rneogy Win User
    Hmm that's unfortunate but a SSD does sound nice.

I've never installed an SSD before actually - is it any different from an HDD in terms of installation? Also, do you have any recommendations for an SSD? I was looking for a cheap option since I don't really want to spend too much money on this build. Do either of the following work?

Amazon.com: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5 Accessories
    Amazon.com: Kingston Digital 120GB UV400 SSD C2C 2.5 Accessories

EDIT: These seem to be laptop SSDs actually - just to show my inexperience. Perhaps you have some better suggestions?

Thanks!

Rneogy, Jul 20, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    There's no real difference in installing an SSD or a hard drive. The SSDs you have selected would be fine for what you want and still faster than a hard drive. I would go with the PNY - faster write speeds. The desktop computer I am posting on right now has a 120GB SSD. All SSDs are laptop size, you want an adapter if you want to install them properly in a desktop:

2.5" to 3.5" adapter

New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB [​IMG]

I just noticed I have an extra recovery partition I need to delete....

NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2016
  11. Rneogy Win User
    Oh how silly of me. Thanks for the advice. Just checking though, it doesn't say that the adapter or the SSD comes with screws. Do they, or is there some standard size that I need to get? Thanks!

EDIT: Checked reviews, says it comes with screws, wonderful. Thanks for the help!

Rneogy, Jul 20, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    The SSD will come with screws. The mounting adapter I linked to doesn't, so you would need the standard desktop hard drive screws - or this adapter with all screws included:

Adapter with screws

When you connect the SSD and before you install Windows on it, go into BIOS setup on the computer and make sure the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode and not IDE mode. Performance will be much faster in AHCI mode. Also, when you are installing Windows onto the SSD, you will want to leave the second hard drive disconnected. Once Windows is installed on the SSD and booting fine, then reconnect the second hard drive. This keeps Windows setup from detecting any boot partitions that might be on the second hard drive and installing the boot files there instead of on the SSD where you want them.

NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2016
  13. Rneogy Win User

Just to clarify, so I don't mess things up:

1. Take out HDD (or wipe it first? doesn't really seem feasible while OS is on it)
    2. Insert SSD.
    3. Install Windows 10 on SSD, from USB, don't input any key, will auto validate when connected to the internet.
    4. Put HDD back in.
    5. Will auto detect as 3TB?

Any clarification would be great. Thanks!

Rneogy, Jul 20, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is what I would do:

1. Take out HDD (or wipe it first? doesn't really seem feasible while OS is on it)
    You can wipe the HDD before removing it using MiniTool Partition Wizard. It will reboot the computer to delete all the partitions and convert the HDD to GPT, then when you reboot from that your computer will give you the error No Operating System Found.

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

2. Insert SSD. Then go into BIOS and make sure the SATA controller mode is set to AHCI.

3. Install Windows 10 on SSD, from USB, don't input any key, will auto validate when connected to the internet.

4. Put HDD back in.

5. Will auto detect as 3TB? The hard drive must be converted to GPT in order for all 3TB to be useable. You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free linked above to do it. OR:
    Change a Master Boot Record Disk into a GUID Partition Table Disk

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, I would not wipe and/or convert the HDD until it was re-installed in step 5. That way if something were to go wrong with installing Windows on the SSD, you can always put the HDD back in and boot from it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB - Similar Threads - Single 3TB Hard

2. New 3rd Hard drive seen in BIOS but not in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New 3rd Hard drive seen in BIOS but not in Disk Management: I added a new 3rd SATA Seagate hard drive which appears in the BIOS in SATA 5 slot slot 4 is empty but the plug was harder to reach . It does not appear in Windows Disk Management or in Device Manager. Any suggestions?...
  3. 3tb hard drive showing up as 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3tb hard drive showing up as 2: i recently had to redownload windows 10 because it wasnt booting, my 3tb hard drive was only showing up as 2tb, i ignored it for a while but now i am running low on storage how do i get my extra tb?...
  4. windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update: sorry this is my first post here so im not too sure how your suppose to say what i mean so im just gonna say it. last night my computer needed an update so when i shut it down it asked me to update and shut down and today when i turned it back on windows stopped working so...
  5. New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB: I bought the Seagate barracuda 3TB and it shows as 746GB on my another computer with Windows Vista SP2 32-bit in GPT mode. I have asked this problem at Seagate forum and the one guy who replied didn't know how to solve it. I am using the 3TB Seagate drive in my Rosewill...
  6. New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB

in Windows 10 Support
    New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB: I bought the Seagate barracuda 3TB and it shows as 746GB on my another computer with Windows Vista SP2 32-bit in GPT mode. I have asked this problem at Seagate forum and the one guy who replied didn't know how to solve it. I am using the 3TB Seagate drive in my Rosewill...
  7. 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?

3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?: ok i got a 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated and computer management wont let me do nothing with it. i dont care what i got to do with this drive i just want access to the full size of the drive. can someone please help me out on how i might get this done? 104457
  8. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive: Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB 49877
  9. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive: Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB drive to add as a secondary drive. Just my luck only 746gb show. I tried everything but all i can find on google is for intel chipsets. When attempting to run the driver...
  10. Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive: I recently purchased a internal 3.5 inch SATA Seagate 3TB Hard Drive from Amazon as it caught my eye because it was on sale. *chuckle I'm trying to install Windows 10 64 bit, and my problem is that my desktop, a Dell OptiPlex 3010, is only seeing 2.7 TB (2,794GB under...