Windows 10: New recovery drive is much smaller than previous one.

Discus and support New recovery drive is much smaller than previous one. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm confused. After my Windows 10 upgrade was finished I created a "Recovery drive" on a 32 GB flash drive and it filled the drive to 26.8 GB. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Whatrymes, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Whatrymes Win User

New recovery drive is much smaller than previous one.

Hi,

I'm confused. After my Windows 10 upgrade was finished I created a "Recovery drive" on a 32 GB flash drive and it filled the drive to 26.8 GB. I just finished a clean install on my hard disk with all unallocated space and decided to make a new "recovery drive" on the old flash drive when I was finished. I did "check" to include system files and the process took quite a while but only 3.5 GB are now being used on the flash drive. Why such a difference in data this time than before? Is this drive okay?

Thanks,
    Ed

:)

Whatrymes, Aug 26, 2015
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Can we not create a system repair disk within a folder on a blank 4.7 GB DVD+RW Pro disk, and related questions

My current system, if I create a Recovery Drive, requires a 32 GB Flash drive.

The DVD option, if it does work, will need more than one DVD.

If you choose not to backup system files it will be done on much smaller media.

A recovery drive takes the entire media. Even if you had a 128 GB flash drive, it would use maybe 32 GB and the rest would be unusable.

Saltgrass, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Hard Drive space much smaller than it should be

Thank you so much for the solution. I now have all my disk space.

KingBerryLK, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Mansome Win User

Windows 10 uses a different recovery method than previous OS.

Mansome, Aug 28, 2015
Thema:

1. New recovery drive is much smaller than previous one. - Similar Threads - recovery drive much

2. Windows 11 22H2 Alt+Tab new look is much worse than the old one.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2 Alt+Tab new look is much worse than the old one.: So, I just updated to version 22H2 and there are 2 design tweaks that, in my opinion, made it a lot worse:1 The new Alt+Tab look. It has a very ugly border surrounding the windows. I know it is translucent normally, but in battery saver, it appears as a gray area. Earlier,...
  3. Why would a new software be made to be less productive than the previous one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why would a new software be made to be less productive than the previous one?: My pc installed Win 11 for meIt seems just like a slower to use, less intuitive , less productive version of windows 10.I can understand that some developers haven't ever actually worked in job where they need to do something like make a door, or install some plumbing, and...
  4. Why would a new software be made to be less productive than the previous one?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why would a new software be made to be less productive than the previous one?: My pc installed Win 11 for meIt seems just like a slower to use, less intuitive , less productive version of windows 10.I can understand that some developers haven't ever actually worked in job where they need to do something like make a door, or install some plumbing, and...
  5. installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting: Hi, I'm currently planning to install only windows into a 64GB SSD that I find lying around for my HHD laptop just to speed up the booting process it takes ages to boot up, I notice that Windows does have its installation tool to reinstall the Windows, but I wish to just only...
  6. Pop-up windows font size is much smaller than other text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pop-up windows font size is much smaller than other text: [ATTACH] Windows 10 allows user to change font size BUT that does not alter the pop-up windows. For example, from within Control Panel the pop-up is too small to read. Need a way to fix this....
  7. Display smaller than monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display smaller than monitor: Wiped off my key board now the screen doesn't fit. How do I reset the screen? Cant find the right settings!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-smaller-than-monitor/e0b41fe8-4fa2-4c9f-adec-49fcf6cd8024
  8. Windows.old is smaller than Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows.old is smaller than Windows: After I made a recovery drive, there was a new folder in my C: drive that was called windows.old . I now that it does that on purpose because it copies all the windows system files and stores it there. But for some reason, from this image I took, "Windows.old" has more files...
  9. Hard drive shows much smaller than is

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive shows much smaller than is: You're quite welcome. Glad we can help. However, I suggest to use the smaller drive for Windows, 200 GB is enough (186 GB shown). You can transfer Windows back to it then use 1TB drive strictly for data. Easier to manage and backup. If you need help on this, let me know.
  10. GeForce Hotfix driver 350.05 - Much better than previous 349.XX

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GeForce Hotfix driver 350.05 - Much better than previous 349.XX: GeForce Hotfix driver 350.05 This is a GeForce Hot Fix driver, version 350.05 that addresses the following issues: Battlefield Hardline - crash with Direct X error message on some systems Dragon Age: Inquisition - TDR crash...