Windows 10: New router but slower download speed

Discus and support New router but slower download speed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I just replaced my old router (Linksys WRT54G) to a Linksys x1000. However, my download speed is slower than the previous router I had. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Some101, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Some101 Win User

New router but slower download speed

Hello,

I just replaced my old router (Linksys WRT54G) to a Linksys x1000. However, my download speed is slower than the previous router I had. I tried the following things to resolve this problem:

• Upgrading to the latest firmware version;
    • Updated my wireless network card drivers to the latest version;
    • Switching between different channels (channel 1 and 5 and default channel). I have set Network Mode to: Mixed and I set Channel Width to Automatic (20 or 40 MHz).

When using my old router I had an average download speed of 1 MB/sec while using the new router I can't get pas 500 KB/sec. In both cases I was sitting next to the router.

Oh, and by the way, there's also a port on the router named DSL. It looks like it doesn't matter whether I connect that port to my modem. How come? What's its function?

Anyone got an idea?
    Thanks

New router but slower download speed [​IMG]

:)

Some101, Jan 27, 2016

2. Why poor broadband speed on new laptop?

I'm using a brand new Dell Inspiron 7373, and when I run a broadband speed test, it tells me I have a download speed of 1.82Mb. (I was prompted to check by a long wait to download a Windows update). I checked using the same website speed test (broadband.co.uk)
    sitting on the same spot close to the router on two different devices, and both gave me far better results.

Why does my laptop get slower speeds? Thanks to anyone who can help.

FionaMcGrogan, Jan 27, 2016
  3. Laptop slow wifi speeds

I have a an Acer Aspire E1-532 laptop that has windows 10 installed. Recently the wifi broadband speed to the laptop has dropped from 24mbs to around 5mbs (or slower) for no apparent reason. If I connect directly to the router by cable, the 24mbs speed
    is again achieved. Is this a laptop/windows problem or router settings?

David Hatherly UK, Jan 27, 2016
  4. brummyfan Win User

Hi,
    Try switching DNS address to Open DNS or Google DNS.

brummyfan, Jan 27, 2016
  5. Some101 Win User
    Hello Brummyfan, thanks for your reply. Do you mean switching to Open DNS on my router settings or on my laptop? I did see something about static DNS. And do you mean 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as for Google's DNS?

Some101, Jan 27, 2016
  6. wyldman68 Win User
    8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 DNS is what he meant.

wyldman68, Jan 27, 2016
  7. wyldman68 Win User
    On the Router would work best.

wyldman68, Jan 27, 2016
  8. brummyfan Win User

Yes, you got the google DNS address correct, change the dns in your laptop and if you can change in your router settings, change there as well. If changing DNS doesn't work, you could get in touch with your ISP and get them change your profile to faster one.

brummyfan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New router but slower download speed - Similar Threads - router slower download

2. slower than expected download speeds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    slower than expected download speeds.: I have a 10Mbps ADSL internet connection. but even no matter the machine, no matter the app, my download rates seem to be capped at around 600kB/s. if i am doing my calculations right, I should be maxing out at least some of the time at 1250kB/s but this never occurs. The...
  3. slower than expected download speeds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    slower than expected download speeds.: I have a 10Mbps ADSL internet connection. but even no matter the machine, no matter the app, my download rates seem to be capped at around 600kB/s. if i am doing my calculations right, I should be maxing out at least some of the time at 1250kB/s but this never occurs. The...
  4. Download speed plummeted for no reason not a router problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Download speed plummeted for no reason not a router problem: Hello, 2 days ago, i turned my computer on and tried to download a 200 megabyte game using the opera GX browser. I realised that from the usual 8-9Mbps, i was only getting 200Kbps. It doesn't seem to be a problem with my router since downloading on my phone and everywhere...
  5. Download speed plummeted for no reason (not a router problem)

Download speed plummeted for no reason (not a router problem): So recently i just turned my computer on, and tried to download a 200Mb (megabytes, not megabits) file. I realised that from the usual 8-9Mbps, i was only getting 200Kbps (kilobytes). It doesn't seem to be a problem with my router since downloading on my phone and everywhere...
  6. Download speed slower than upload speed

Download speed slower than upload speed: My Windows 10 desktop has slower download speeds 10Mbps compared to upload speeds 30Mbps. On other devices connecting to the same router, I can get download speeds of 90+MBps on our 100/40 plan. This is true whether I connect with ethernet or wifi. I have changed the...
  7. Microsoft Store suddenly slower download speed

Microsoft Store suddenly slower download speed: Hello, I have an issue with download speed on Microsoft Store, I am trying to download a pretty big game but my download speed is only 60-70 Mb/s but I am using ethernet and before it was 200+ Mb/s idk why it is slower than before, 130 Mb/s diference between now and my last...
  8. slower download speed onmy laptop

slower download speed onmy laptop: New (two weeks) to spectrum internet service. Desktop (W10) getting 200mbps on 2G wireless network. Toshiba laptop (W10) getting 30mbps on same network and closer to router. On Ethernet network laptop getting 90mbps. The HP desktop does not see the Ethernet network so I...
  9. Laptop Wifi Upload speed much slower than download speed

Laptop Wifi Upload speed much slower than download speed: I have a Dell Inspiron N5040 running 1809 17763.153. It has a Dell Wireless 1502 802.11 b/g/n WiFi card which is made by Atheros. Prior to upgrading to 1803 WiFi worked normally and Download was faster than Upload, 35Mb vs 10Mb. Since 1803 and now 1809 as well, Download is...
  10. Windows computer slower download speeds

Windows computer slower download speeds: I have an HP Envy from 2016, with a gigabit ethernet port and wireless ac. This computer is consistently getting slower speeds than my Android devices, and my older linux computer. Wired(same wire and ports as when I plug the linux computer in), I can't get over 100Mbps. It...