Windows 10: New shortcut directly on context menu

Discus and support New shortcut directly on context menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK, it's on the New submenu. But I'd like to have it right on the main context menu, ready to click. Or maybe a separate shortcut for NewShortcut? 84207 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, May 11, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

New shortcut directly on context menu

OK, it's on the New submenu. But I'd like to have it right on the main context menu, ready to click. Or maybe a separate shortcut for NewShortcut?

:)

tcebob, May 11, 2017
  2. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 11, 2017
  3. windows 10 desktop icon context menus

Hi Ramon,

In reply to your questions:

• Asus, not sure of model - 64 bit desktop system, Asus motherboard, Intel E5300 dual-core @ 2.6 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, 600 Gb disk (<80% full).
    • No error messages at all.
    • None of the desktop shortcuts (icons) launch their apps, including old original shortcuts and newer ones. (In other words, all icons' context menus misbehave the same way.)
    • No changes or custom mods... off-the-shelf prebuilt system, stock Windows install. Strictly used for home office functions - no gaming or external hardware hung off the PC.
    Some additional points:

• Note that the Win-X context menu also mostly not working - none of the utilities launch from the choices on the upper 75% of the menu, only system functions (Run, Shutdown, etc.) at the bottom.
    • Also note that context menus work normally elsewhere in the system: like inside File Explorer, and inside the Start Menu.
    • Not aware of any other issues anywhere in my system. Applications run promptly and at normal speed, no unusual hangs or error pop-ups. (BTW, Windows tablet mode is OFF - I checked.)
    • Windows 10 was an upgrade directly from Windows 7.
    • At that time everything worked, including all the desktop shortcut context menus and Win-X.
    • The context menus on the desktop stopped functioning after the Anniversary update... now shortcuts only launch on double-click from mouse.
    • All additional MS updates and patches since that time have successfully installed.
    Thanks for your help.

WarrenClearfield, May 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, to do that I think you'd need a script to handle the task of creating the shortcut and the user prompts which you see with Window's existing feature.

Example (not directly suitable for your use- no prompts):
    PowerShell Create Shortcut | New-Object

Then use one of the various utilities you can find to add this to the context menu.

You can't somehow copy the existing feature which is part of the OS.

The relevant registry key is here just for interest:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellNew

dalchina, May 12, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    Good stuff, Dalchina. Thanks for the info.

tcebob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New shortcut directly on context menu - Similar Threads - shortcut directly context

2. Anomalous context menu in all taskbar shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Anomalous context menu in all taskbar shortcuts: The context menu contains only - unpin - close (if referenced program is running). Formerly the menu contained also the name, whose submenu contained - properties - run as admin. 171532
  3. Adding an item to the new context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding an item to the new context menu.: I am looking for a way to add a new item to the new context menu. The item in question is a .php file, with an associated template file. I've been tinkering around with the registry trying to get it to work, but nothing seems to be working. All the old methods no longer...
  4. Right click New context menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right click New context menu: I wanna know how to rearrange the new menu when you right click. I just installed Microsoft Office 2019 and the default arrangement is really ugly. Thanks in advance! submitted by /u/UnsettledForever [link] [comments]...
  5. Rename item in New context menu

Rename item in New context menu: There are many well descripted sources about how to add/delete item from context menu new – for instance Edit, Add, Remove items from New Context Menu in Windows 10 – but none of them states how to rename such item in reliable way. I found article Change Name/Description...
  6. Context Menu “New” Still Hangs

in Windows 10 Support
    Context Menu “New” Still Hangs: After updates this spring my Context Menu “New” itemis still hanging up for a long time. So I took it off and only put it back whenneeded. When is MS going to fixthis? I tried all the so-calledsolutions found on the Net but nothing works. Dell Inspiron 15 3000-3552,Windows...
  7. VHD to new under context menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    VHD to new under context menu?: Does anyone know by regedit or otherwise if there is a way to make VHD appear under 'New' in the context menu so that essentially you would be able to right-click, hover over 'New', select VHD, and be launched straight into creation of a new VHD? Thanks! 135677
  8. Context Menu "New" hanging up

Context Menu "New" hanging up: I still have an issue with my Context Menu "New" hanging up; when will MS fix that one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/context-menu-new-hanging-up/19975061-5d82-4645-9a4e-1368f0414077
  9. Adding excel in new context menu

Adding excel in new context menu: Hi, I'm trying to add excel program in the "new" context menu. [img] I went to regedit (ShellNew) : [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT]; .xlsx [img] I added "NullFile" key and put it to '1' as proposed in several procedures on the net. I restarted my computer...
  10. Create Shortcut on context menu

Create Shortcut on context menu: Is there a way to take "Desktop - Create Shortcut" from the send to menu and put it on the top menu? 96298