Windows 10: New SSD and Windows 10

Discus and support New SSD and Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will be getting a new SSD real soon, and I have Windows 8.1 on my current HDD. Would it be a good idea to install Windows 10 on my current HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Neil9444, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Neil9444 Win User

New SSD and Windows 10

I will be getting a new SSD real soon, and I have Windows 8.1 on my current HDD.

Would it be a good idea to install Windows 10 on my current HDD now, and clone the system reserve partition (the part that carries the license info) to the SSD, then do a clean install on the SSD?

Or is there a better idea?

:)

Neil9444, Jul 31, 2015
  2. T4D
    T4d Win User

Adding a new SSD to my pc, how to transfer Windows 10 from the old drive to the newly installed drive

I upgraded from Windows 7 (retail version) to Windows 10, and it has been working well for quite a few months. Now I am considering purchasing a new SSD for my system. If I purchase this new SSD and use it as my C: drive, how will I be able to transfer
    Windows 10 to the new SSD?

3. D_777 Win User
    How to transfer ssd to new computer with windows 10 without formating?

How to transfer ssd from old to new computer?

The ssd has only one partition. It has windows 10 as os. The only difference are the drivers and hardware in the new laptop computer. So the new laptop will not boot with that ssd.

The ssd has data I want to keep.

D_777, Jul 31, 2015
  4. New SSD and Windows 10

As far as I know, you cannot "clone" just the System Reserved partition--cloning is typically an entire drive. You could image just the System Reserved partition, but I don't see the point of that.

If you have a way to do a clean install of 8.1 directly onto the SSD, I'd do that. And then upgrade that. And then do a clean install of 10 to the SSD if you want to do a clean install.

If you do not have a way to do a clean install of 8.1 directly onto the SSD, I'd clone or image the the Windows and System Reserved partitions of the 8.1 HDD to the SSD, and then upgrade that and then do a clean install if you want.

Regardless, I'd make an image of the 8.1 install after it is on the SSD so that I could easily revert to 8.1 if I wanted to for whatever reason.

ignatzatsonic, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Neil9444 Win User
    Well, I can do a clean install on the SSD, then do the upgrade on the SSD. You're right, perhaps I'll do that.

Oh and what's the point of doing a clean install of Windows 10 when I just clean installed Windows 8.1? I don't think theres really a point, right?

Neil9444, Jul 31, 2015
  6. If you have a clean install of 8.1 and want 10, you could:

Upgrade to 10 and stop there.

Upgrade to 10, then immediately do a clean install of 10.

I don't know enough about the 8.1 to 10 upgrade process to know if the choice would ultimately matter in most cases, but some folks simply prefer to do clean installs whenever possible to avoid anything being left behind. I always have. It wouldn't take much time.

But I'd make an image of the 8.1 clean install so I could easily revert to it.

7. Neil9444 Win User
    Well, I suppose I might as well do that. When I clean install, and it asks me for a key, what should I do?

Neil9444, Jul 31, 2015
  8. New SSD and Windows 10

I haven't personally done it, but my understanding is that you would NOT need to supply the key for the clean install of 10. Your key has already been verified and noted by the earlier upgrade from 8.1 to 10, before doing the clean install of 10. MS servers will be aware of that when you attempt to clean install 10.

Get confirmation from others, but I think that's how it's supposed to work.

As I understand it, you won't get a "Windows 10 key" at any time, so all you could supply would be the 8.1 key.

9. Neil9444 Win User
    Oh I see, because it's in my motherboard or something, I believe. I get it. Thank you, i'll try that when I get my SSD.

Neil9444, Jul 31, 2015
  10. Yeah, as far as I know, the product key that is used on a clean install is stored on the motherboard, not on the hard drive. that started with Win8. So you should not have to worry about what is on the boot drive. DO make a clone of your boot drive first tho as not everyone is successful in having a clean install activate:

Solved Clean install not activated despite upgrading first. - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 8 moves to BIOS-based product keys - CNET

John Pombrio, Jul 31, 2015
  11. Neil9444 Win User
    Alright, sounds good. Thanks.

Neil9444, Jul 31, 2015
  12. lvgandhi Win User
    I have done it recently. Please read the link below.
    Change from HDD to SSD in ASUS S400CA laptop

lvgandhi, Jul 31, 2015
  13. Neil9444 Win User

New SSD and Windows 10

Neil9444, Jul 31, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    This information is incorrect. The product key does not get stored in the reserved partition. Your product key information is stored under a hidden folder: C:\Windows\System32\spp and the Mother Board Id.

As for Activation. I would do as follows:
    • Make backup Image of your current Windows 8.1 to an external drive using freeware such as: Macrium Reflect Free
    • Go ahead and update to Windows 10 using the current HDD and get activated.
    • Disconnect the HDD and connect the SD then do a clean install of Windows 10. It should be activated automatically.

topgundcp, Jul 31, 2015
  15. Neil9444 Win User
    I might just do a clean install of 8.1 on the SSD, then upgrade to 10. I appreciate the help though, thank you.

Neil9444, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

New SSD and Windows 10

1. New SSD and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - SSD

2. Samsung T7 ssd not doing anything but is connected and lits up blue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Samsung T7 ssd not doing anything but is connected and lits up blue: it may seem like a weird question to ask here but samsung support failed unless i have a receipt. but yeah the problem i am trying to address is that somehow the t7 just stopped working, it turns on and gets detected, shows up on device manager, and disk management but its...
  3. Samsung T7 ssd not doing anything but is connected and lits up blue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samsung T7 ssd not doing anything but is connected and lits up blue: it may seem like a weird question to ask here but samsung support failed unless i have a receipt. but yeah the problem i am trying to address is that somehow the t7 just stopped working, it turns on and gets detected, shows up on device manager, and disk management but its...
  4. Bit locker on SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bit locker on SSD Drive: Hi All, I have a Lenovo laptop, some how when I switched it on it loads up just where the it asked for the pin/password it says it is not avaible and set new pin, I can get in to forced reset but it comes up asking for bit locker code, unfortune my Microsoft account got...
  5. Bit locker on SSD Drive

Bit locker on SSD Drive: Hi All, I have a Lenovo laptop, some how when I switched it on it loads up just where the it asked for the pin/password it says it is not avaible and set new pin, I can get in to forced reset but it comes up asking for bit locker code, unfortune my Microsoft account got...
  6. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  7. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  8. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  9. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  10. ssd error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd error: what happened to my ssdm.2 nvme do i need to replace it with a new one or is it fixable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-error/d947cdd4-fa07-4ccf-b0cc-ed2290ad7ccf