Windows 10: New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected

Discus and support New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell desktop Core i5 PC about 3-4 years old with 2 SATA drives and 2 DVD RW drives. I had the boot drive (a Samsung EVO850 250Gb SSD)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KenY7744, Sep 23, 2017.

1. KenY7744 Win User

New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected

I have a Dell desktop Core i5 PC about 3-4 years old with 2 SATA drives and 2 DVD RW drives. I had the boot drive (a Samsung EVO850 250Gb SSD) partitioned into two drives, C 150Gb and D about 85Gb. The other HD is a Seagate 2TB which is partitioned into 4 drives, E, 700Gb, F, 600Gb, G, 500Gb, H, 100Gb (sizes approx.). This configuration has been working well for about 2 years, since the time I installed the original SSD.

Recently, the SSD failed and had to be replaced by Samsung. (Their SSDs have a lifetime warranty.) While waiting for the replacement SSD to arrive, I put in a mechanical 320Gb SATA HD, installed Windows 10 Pro (the same OS I had on the failed SSD). Install went fine, but on the first reboot to the desktop, I discovered that the system did NOT detect the 2nd HD, the 2Tb Seagate.

I removed the 2Tb and used a dock to connect it to by wife’s desktop, and her PC detected the drive.

However, after putting it back into my PC and restarting, the system DID detect the 2nd HD, and I was able to access the files on all the partitions. On every restart since, I had no problem accessing the drive and all files.

Fast forward about a week. Replacement SSD arrived. Rather than start all over again, I tried to clone the C and D drives from the 320Gb temporary drive, and had the new SSD connected to a USB port via a dock. The cloning operation needed to reboot to actually begin copying to the new SSD, but I was unsuccessful because the system did not detect the SSD in the dock.

I then tried putting the SSD on the second HD SATA slot, but the cloning operation again failed. I then installed it back in my PC with no other HDs connected and, using a bootable USB made with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, I did a clean install of Win10 Pro. Install went well, but, after reconnecting the 2Tb 2nd HD, on first boot, the system did NOT detect the 2Tb HD. Fine, I thought, I’ll just reboot and it should see it then, just like with the OS installed on the temporary 320Gb HD. However, I have rebooted many times, and the system does not see the 2Tb HD

I again took out the new SSD and put the temporary 320Gb boot drive back in and it saw the 2Tb HD fine.

I again did the Win 10 Pro install, this time leaving the 2Tb HD connected while installing from the bootable USB to the new SSD. But, again, the system is NOT seeing the 2Tb.

At this point, I am out of ideas, but I’m pretty sure someone here will help me figure this out.

Thanks in advance for your insight, questions, etc.

Ken

:)

KenY7744, Sep 23, 2017
  2. kjl1956 Win User

How do I set my new SSD as the only Boot/System drive?

Was the ssd on the system when you did the win10 upgrade ?

If yes then that drive may contain the windows partitions and boot loader.

If not and you did a clean install of win10 to the ssd but still had the old

win7 drive as the boot drive, then the win10 bootloader could have been installed

to that drive, this depends on the boot chain order in the bios on what drive loads

first.

The way I would have done this is clone the win10 to the new ssd, then do a clean install on

the ssd drive.

Pulling drives from the pc and swapping them for a different operating system works

if you are not mixing the same type of os or upgrade and for microsoft windows it

depends on the licences.

But to boot say linux and windows without a dual boot system you have to configure each os on

its own boot drive then swap out when needed.

How did you upgrade win10? from dvd or bootable usb or in place upgrade.

Uefi bios are a little more involved than the older legacy bios.

Note; if you remove the win7 drive, put the ssd as the first boot drive,

if it does not boot, then the boot loader is on the win7 drive.

Do you see an option to boot win7 and win10 when the pc loads.

kjl1956, Sep 23, 2017
  3. JimPta Win User
    How to add SSD as boot disk on new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 10?

JimPta, Sep 23, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

When you say that it doesn't see it, where it doesn't see it ? BIOS, Device Manager, Disk management or This PC ?

CountMike, Sep 23, 2017
  5. Gordon7 Win User
    It could very well be a oxidation problem with the S-ATA connectors on your 2nd HDD!

Try to dis-connect the S-ATA connector to this drive and re-connect, actually do this 2-3 times at once, to mechanically remove
    the oxidation this way. Your PC has to be powered off, while doing this! See if that fixes the problem.

Do the same with the power connector to the 2nd HDD! (If it does not get +12V & +5V the system can't
    see it).

Gordon7, Sep 23, 2017
  6. KenY7744 Win User
    Thanks CountMike for your response to my OP.

The system BIOS DOES show the 2Tb drive in the setup screen.

I have put several screen shots in a Word Document which is attached as Drive Info Screenshots.docx.

The first screen shot shows File Explorer view of This PC. Only C and D are shown, as well as a few removeable drives. The 2Tb drive has drives E, F, G and H, which are not shown.

The second screen shot is Device Manager showing the 2Tb drive.

The third screen shot is Disk Management. It shows Disk1 as Dynamic and Foreign. Right-clicking on Disk 1 gives the following choices in the context menu: Import Foreign Disks, Convert to Basic Disk, Offline, Properties and Help. All other choices are grayed out.

The fourth screen shot is a Command prompt window showing the results of DiskPart/list disk. DiskPart also shows the 2Tb HD as a Dynamic disk and shows it as Foreign.

Something tells me I either have to Import Foreign Disk or do a complete wipe, repartition and reformat. In either case, I think it prudent to back up all the files to removable media before proceeding.

Thanks for your interest in my problem and for whatever insight you can provide.

Ken

KenY7744, Sep 23, 2017
  7. KenY7744 Win User
    Thanks for your response Gordon.

I don't think it's an oxidation problem. The cables are making the connections, because the drive is showing up in the BIOS, Disk Management and Device Manager. It just doesn't show in File Explorer/This PC.

Thanks,
    Ken

KenY7744, Sep 23, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

Looks like that Disk1 became dynamic: Basic and Dynamic Disks (Windows)

CountMike, Sep 23, 2017
  9. KenY7744 Win User
    Thanks for the reference. I've read it and found lots of good info.

I think I will back up everything on that 2Tb drive and then try to do the IMPORT FOREIGN DISK process.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll wipe it, partition it, and set it up as a basic disk. Then I'll copy all my files back.

I will post the results of the above strategy. Might take a day or so until I get everything backed up.

Thanks again,
    Ken

KenY7744, Sep 24, 2017
  10. Gordon7 Win User
    Gordon7, Sep 25, 2017
  11. KenY7744 Win User
    Thanks for your response, Gordon.

However, I think Gautam112 is not saying how to convert from dynamic to basic disk without data loss. If you read his article he says,
    I was lucky because i had ripped off a Seagate Hard disk and was able to use its usb cable and parts to connect my Laptop hard disk to another laptop as an external device.Now that it is connected you can go to device management and there you will find your hard disk as external disk now you can just left click and chose to convert it to dynamic,it says you might lose some data but there’s no loss of data at all.
    which is actually the opposite. I don't think it's possible to convert from dynamic to basic without data loss using only the tools built in to Windows 10. There are 3rd party apps for partitions that claim this ability.

Anyway, I was able to resolve the inability to read Disk1.

If you right-click the leftmost block of the Disk1 graphic (where it says DYNAMIC and FOREIGN) on the lower pane of Disk Management, there is an item on the context menu, IMPORT FOREIGN DISKS. Once I did that, Disk Management was able to see all the partitions and I was able to access any files on any drive.

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance. I truly appreciate your contributions.

Ken

KenY7744, Sep 25, 2017
  12. Gordon7 Win User
    O.K nice you have fixed it, but how does a Basic disk suddenly change to a Dynamic disk by "itself" ? Very odd!

Gordon7, Sep 25, 2017
  13. KenY7744 Win User

It didn't change to dynamic by itself. I had a need to expand one partition and shrink another. When I did that, I got a message that it would be changed from basic to dynamic. The message said that a dynamic disk could not be a boot disk, but, since it was NOT a boot disk, I allowed it to make that change.

I'm not sure that it being a dynamic disk was the cause of the problem of not seeing it in File Explorer. I think that since I had a newly installed ssd with windows 10, when I reconnected the 2Tb second HD, the system didn't know what it was, and tagged it as "foreign." I believe it was that "foreign" tag that was the problem.

Thanks again.

Ken

KenY7744, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected - Similar Threads - SSD boot drive

2. Can't change New SSD to boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change New SSD to boot drive: I recently got a new 2 TB M2 SSD to add to my PC. I cloned my current 512 GB SSD onto it and attempted to restart after changing the boot priority in my BIOS but the C drive remained the same. When I disconnected the old SSD my PC would just go to a blue screen right away, I...
  3. Can't change New SSD to boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change New SSD to boot drive: I recently got a new 2 TB M2 SSD to add to my PC. I cloned my current 512 GB SSD onto it and attempted to restart after changing the boot priority in my BIOS but the C drive remained the same. When I disconnected the old SSD my PC would just go to a blue screen right away, I...
  4. Can't change New SSD to boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  6. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  7. Install new SSD as main boot drive RAID1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Install new SSD as main boot drive RAID1: I have purchased a twin set of 1TB SSD that I want to setup as my new boot drive and move all contents from existing 128Gb SSD to the new ones.My case allows for hot swapping, so I have setup the new SSD in Disk Management as G:.What are my next steps to move files to G:,...
  8. Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install: Hi, I inherited a computer from a friend. It had Windows 10 on it but an older HDD and older components, maybe 2010-2012ish. As far as i can tell they work fine. The OS and HDD is just real sluggish. So I got a 1TB SSD and attempted to install it to be the boot drive. I...
  9. Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help]: I'm grateful for any help! I disconnected my other drives so that only my new SSD was connected. I then booted from a USB stick with the Win10 install files on it. That let me install Windows on the new SSD. It went fine, and I was able to boot from the new drive, download...
  10. No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive: Hey all, It's an age old story, probably.. I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success creating a repair disk for 7 with USB3 drivers (I'm on Z170 chipset). So I decided I should finally jump into Win10 as I reserved...