Windows 10: New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created!

Discus and support New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Normally I Partition my drives myself using Gparted. With a Fresh out of the box (Not even formatted) I wanted to see what Win10 would do with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TDPsGM, Feb 25, 2016.

1. TDPsGM Win User

New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created!

Normally I Partition my drives myself using Gparted.
    With a Fresh out of the box (Not even formatted) I wanted to see what Win10 would do with the drive.

It created 3 partitions (Which surprised me).
    I expected an EFI partition, and the OS partition, but I didn't expect a 450 MB "Recovery Partition" to be created at the very beginning of the drive.

New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created! [​IMG]

This is a Zenbook (so a UEFI system) UX303UB, 12 GB Ram, i76500U Processor, & an nVidia 940M (with Optimus)

What exactly does Windows 'DO' with this "Recovery" partition, and IF I had partitioned the drive myself with only the EFI System Partition, would Windows 10 Really have cared?
    What functionality would I have been out exactly?

Thanks,

Greg

:)

TDPsGM, Feb 25, 2016
  2. avxr Win User

Having trouble with clean install of Windows 10 on new SSD.

I loaded the Windows 10 installer onto a USB drive and booted it up, and the installer recognizes that I have an empty SSD with two partitions. However when I try to move to the next step the installer tells me it "couldn't create a new partition or locate
    an existing one" and that I should check the Setup log files.

I don't understand why it's telling me this when on the same screen it shows two partitions on the SSD, one of which has plenty of space to install the OS. Any advice?

3. Clean Install of Windows 10 (laptop) on ssd that already has Windows 10

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize I could select the partitions then delete them. Thanks!

mysqueakycat, Feb 25, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

That contains the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). It provides you with advanced boot (try depressing shift key while restarting) options - recovery troubleshooting and others. You may or may not prefer to do without it. Those partitions, along with a 16 MB MSR partition (snugged in between the EFI System Partition and the OS Partition, that you don't see in Disk Management) are part of any standard Win10 clean install to a GPT disk.

You can see all 4 partitions from an elevated (admin) command prompt using the following commands, in sequence:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    list par

("exit" to leave diskpart)

Word Man, Feb 25, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    This WinRE is very useful. It has saved my bacon already a couple of times.

6. TDPsGM Win User
    Thanks Word Man.

IF I had defined my own partitions with Gparted and never created a WinRe partition OR an MSR partition, would windows create them by readjusting the size of the OS partition anyway? (Just wondering how it works)

What is an MSR partition any how?
    MSR = ???

Thanks

TDPsGM, Feb 25, 2016
  7. TDPsGM Win User
    Hi whs,

could the same thing not be accomplished with a USB recovery drive that we create after the install?

Thanks.

TDPsGM, Feb 25, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

It would have created another one.

MSR means microsoft reserved and is a special partition design for future expansion of OS. Just ignore it.

cereberus, Feb 25, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you delete the 450 mb recovery partition and add the free space to your Windows partition you will gain 0.11% free space on it - just for perspective.

That being said, for me it's because I like my hard drives partitioned the way I want them partitioned - not always the way Microsoft wants them partitioned so I will delete and move partitions around even though I don't gain free space from it.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    You try all those functions with the recovery drive and let us know whether that worked.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

Why don't you answer the question? After all, you provided this link:

And the exact same link that YOU provided states this:
    Access Windows Recovery Enviroment

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    Because I don't have this setup.

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Fair enough. And heck, for myself I expand the WindowsRE partition. I prefer Legacy and MBR booting. I expand the recovery partition to about 5 GB. I copy the Windows setup files to it (from the ISO), set the reagentc /osimage to the install.wim file, move the boot files to the recovery partition, copy Macrium Reflect and MiniTool Partition Wizard ISO files to it, then set up a boot menu with a 3 second timeout that has the options of Windows 10, Windows 10 Setup, Macrium Reflect and MiniTool Partition Wizard. I'm left with the OS partition and the recovery partition only on my disk.

But the truth of the matter is if someone wants to delete the recovery partition, all of the useful options can still be accessed by booting from a Recovery or Install media USB/DVD.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
Thema:

1. New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created! - Similar Threads - SSD Clean Install

2. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  3. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  4. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  5. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  6. Clean Installation Created Partitions with Drive Letters?!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clean Installation Created Partitions with Drive Letters?!: Greetings All, I clean installed Win 10 RTM version on my laptop a few weeks ago. I have a basic GPT setup. Installation went fine, however the installer created a 'Recovery' drive (D*Smile with a size of 600 MB (262 MB free) & a 'Local Disk' drive (E*Smile with a size...
  7. No System partition on new clean install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No System partition on new clean install: I did a clean install build 10130 on separate (MBR) ssd. All other ssds (Win 7 and Win 8.1) were unplugged. I ended up with no "system" partition. I use the Win 8.1 ssd as the first in the boot order and this drive has a "system" partition from an earlier Win 10 install. All...
  8. New partition scheme on clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New partition scheme on clean install: So, I wanted to combine the system reserved (with boot files) partition with the recover (WindowsRE) partition. Somewhere in the process I lost the ability to set the recovery environment to WindowsRE on the recovery partition so I decided to start over from scratch. My HP...
  9. Clean install on new SSD

Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...
  10. Clean install UEFI only 3 partitions

Clean install UEFI only 3 partitions: hi all I have clean installed windows 10 in UEFI mode it showed 4 partitions but after install only shows 3 partitions in disc managment no MSR reserved partition why How do I know it is UEFI mode 15497

Users found this page by searching for:

1. What would be the additional drive name created during the clean installation of Windows on new SSD

2. additional drive name created during the clean installation of Windows

3. What would be the additional drive name created during the clean installation of Windows on new SSD?