Windows 10: New SSD for Win 10

Discus and support New SSD for Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Win 7 Pro currently installed on 126GB SSD. Only 20 GB capacity left. Plan to install new 500GB SSD as C Drive. Plan is to clone 126 SSD to 500 SSD,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zalophus, Jul 24, 2015.

1. zalophus Win User

New SSD for Win 10

Win 7 Pro currently installed on 126GB SSD. Only 20 GB capacity left.
    Plan to install new 500GB SSD as C Drive.
    Plan is to clone 126 SSD to 500 SSD, including Win 7 OS, before installing 10.
    Then install 10 to 500 GB SSD
    Does this seem like best way to go?
    Thanks

:)

zalophus, Jul 24, 2015

2. Migrating OS to new SSD

I currently have WIN 10 installed on my current 120gb SSD, I upgraded to WIN 10 from WIN 8 (I still have the key for WIN 8), I want to replace my current SSD for my new 500gb SSD, how can I migrate to the new SSD (note, I don't want to keep anything i
    currently have on my SSD, I essentially want a fresh install)

MontazarAl-Zaidi_703, Jul 24, 2015
  3. Product key confusion

Ive moved my hdd to a new pc the hdd had a retail version of win 10 but the new pc has a ssd with a temporary version of windows that requires a product key.when I go on the ssd it requires a product key but the hdd says it couldnt verify it. How do I
    put win 10 only on the ssd and will it be valid

MarcFenton, Jul 24, 2015
  4. TheSchaft Win User

New SSD for Win 10

Welcome to Tenforums, zalophus.

If I understand you correctly, you would have the old 128G SSD with Windows 7 on it, and the new 500G SSD with Windows 7, then WIndows 10 when it is released.

If that is the case, it is a way to go. That way you can always drop back to Windows 7 by swapping the drives. Is that what you plan?

TheSchaft, Jul 25, 2015
  5. Boozad Win User
    What's taking up the space on your current SSD? If it's programs or files that would be just as happy an a spinner you could invest in a smaller SSD for 10 and get your files onto the spinner. Then you could have a dedicated SSD for each OS, it works a treat.

Boozad, Jul 25, 2015
  6. zalophus Win User
    Thanks for good suggestions. Yes-cloning old ssd to new ssd and then installing 10 is what I planned. Keeping Win 7 on separate drive hadn't occurred to me, and is something for me to consider.

BTW-I assume that I could not install win 10 directly onto the new ssd w/o cloning win 7 onto it first? If not, then I may do a clean install of WIN 7 onto the new drive, leaving everything on the old SSD till 10 is installed.

zalophus, Jul 25, 2015
  7. uniquewon Win User
    Hey, I'm new to these forums. Went looking around for something like this and ended up here.

I have a windows 7 home pre machine, it's got a 500 gig Samsung SSD for it's C drive and runs like a champ. I've got Macrium Reflect and have tested cloning my C drive to another Samsung SSD and it seems to work great. I'm running right now on the clone, all is well.

My question is this: If I now let the Windows 10 free install proceed on this clone and for some reason, I don't like the outcome, can I revert to the original SSD and later down the road, upgrade it to windows 10. In other words, does doing the upgrade on the clone use up my upgrade to Win 10?

BTW, back about maybe 8 or more months, I put the SSD into this xps 8700 and it became the fastest computer I have ever owned and I've built and owned many many of them over the years.

Anyway, the clone method probably is the best way to go. My wife has an xps 8700 and she has some special software on it that she needs so we will attempt a switch using a clone to see of her software will work with Win 10. I have to wait till she's in a position where I can get use of the machine for awhile.

Thanks,
    Gene

uniquewon, Nov 12, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

New SSD for Win 10

You can upgrade the same install of Windows 7 as many times as you want.

NavyLCDR, Nov 12, 2015
  9. Almighty1 Win User
    While on the subject, if I bought a Samsung 1TB Pro SSD and cloned my Western Digital 750GB spinner to it which has three partitions, a C:, D: and a recovery partition. What I want to do is clone the C and the recovery partition as there is nothing on D so I can make the C use the unused space, I've only cloned spinners in the past which all had just one NTFS partition and then expanded it to fit the whole drive but how hard is it to clone the recovery partition so it would work when I need it.

Almighty1, Nov 12, 2015
  10. In the event you are not aware of a potential problem with SSD drives, be aware that it is becoming known that the read/writes for a couple of utilities in your OS can be damaging to SSD,

Never defrag SSD, and turn off File Indexing. We generally over look the last one as Windows has been, by default, indexing files on new computers. The default switch has been set to run indexing, while it can be switched to OFF in properties of the hard drive.

Frankly, I teach performance classes on Windows and have been instructing students to turn OFF file indexing on all hard drives for years. Now, it's not only a perfomance factor but a reliability factor.

Sorry this does not directly respond to your question, but it leads me to my own preference to keep OS and programs only on SSD drives, and run storage on SATA or other technology OTHER THAN SSD.

larsco2002, Nov 13, 2015
  11. pparks1 Win User
    You will far outgrow capacity of your SSD long before indexing causes you issues on your SSD.

pparks1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

New SSD for Win 10

1. New SSD for Win 10 - Similar Threads - SSD

2. PC unable to boot due to SSD W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC unable to boot due to SSD W11: PC had completely frozen so I restarted it, then during boot up says,[Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key]So I open BIOS and there seems to be no issue so I google the problem and end up creating a Recovery drive...
  3. PC unable to boot due to SSD W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC unable to boot due to SSD W11: PC had completely frozen so I restarted it, then during boot up says,[Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key]So I open BIOS and there seems to be no issue so I google the problem and end up creating a Recovery drive...
  4. How to run OS from SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run OS from SSD?: The issue I have is that my operating system is on my C hard drive, while the EFI that boots my computer is on my SSD. My goal is just to move everything to the SSD so it boots the operating system from there I just want to speed up my computer. But, I can't simply migrate...
  5. How to run OS from SSD?

How to run OS from SSD?: The issue I have is that my operating system is on my C hard drive, while the EFI that boots my computer is on my SSD. My goal is just to move everything to the SSD so it boots the operating system from there I just want to speed up my computer. But, I can't simply migrate...
  6. Windows ssd to Mac

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows ssd to Mac: Hi, I'm Justin and have a stressful problem.Recently my old laptop was broken which was operating in Windows and to save my data I took ssd m.2 nvme out of it. And what I want to do now is to transfer all my data to my new Mac so I'm thinking about buying an external case for...
  7. Windows ssd to Mac

Windows ssd to Mac: Hi, I'm Justin and have a stressful problem.Recently my old laptop was broken which was operating in Windows and to save my data I took ssd m.2 nvme out of it. And what I want to do now is to transfer all my data to my new Mac so I'm thinking about buying an external case for...
  8. Cannot format SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot format SSD: I'm running Windows 11. Have two SSD's; one 'Windows 11 Home' C:/, the other 'Windows 11 Image' D:/ i.e. a backup, done monthly in case anything goes wrong.I used to rum Acronis 12 bur for some reason this stopped working. Then used Macrium Reflect Free Edition and that...
  9. Cannot format SSD

Cannot format SSD: I'm running Windows 11. Have two SSD's; one 'Windows 11 Home' C:/, the other 'Windows 11 Image' D:/ i.e. a backup, done monthly in case anything goes wrong.I used to rum Acronis 12 bur for some reason this stopped working. Then used Macrium Reflect Free Edition and that...
  10. Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD: Hi there, I was having computer freezes on my previous Windows 11 computer, so I upgraded everything except for the C Drive SSD and Video Card NVIDIA 4090. What is weird is that I can play some games and use windows at times with no issues but some instances it freezes...