Windows 10: New SSD Won't Set Up

Discus and support New SSD Won't Set Up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Haven't done this in a while so not sure if I missed a step. I have a new SSD and Win 10 sees it in the admin tools but all options to format,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by stealth2920, Feb 9, 2017.

1. New SSD Won't Set Up

Haven't done this in a while so not sure if I missed a step. I have a new SSD and Win 10 sees it in the admin tools but all options to format, partition are grayed out.

:)

stealth2920, Feb 9, 2017
  2. Nazalur Win User

No SSD for GMA500

...I was thinking to move to an SSD too. But as far as I understand, this means and exact copy of a HDD. Setting up a new OS on an empty drive won't work... At least for Windows 7. Am I right?

Nazalur, Feb 9, 2017
  3. YuZheChen Win User
    WIN 10 The desktop stops responding for some time after you resume the display

So the only major change to the system i have done recently is adding a new M.2. SSD and migrated the system into the new SSD. There shouldnt be problems associated with the SSD cuz the system has run flawlessly with the new SSD and no collapse or errors
    have shown.

And i havent tried any trouble shooting program cuz I dont know which one to perform.

At the end, the system is up to date, just ran the check for updates and nothing showed up.

Also my problem is very similar to the case in that link i provided. Because each time the display turns off, if i wake the computer back up immediately, there won't be any issues, but if i wait for like 30 seconds, the system will freeze after waking up.

YuZheChen, Feb 9, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

New SSD Won't Set Up

Have you gone to disk manager(right click Windows icon) and set a New Simple Volume?

New SSD Won't Set Up [​IMG]

Cliff S, Feb 9, 2017
  5. That seems to be the issue I have. I see the drive but all options are grayed out.

stealth2920, Feb 9, 2017
  6. I just got a I/0 device error (whatever that means

stealth2920, Feb 9, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
    You could try double checking your SATA data and power cable connections.

Cliff S, Feb 9, 2017
  8. New SSD Won't Set Up

I was just going to advise you that I have quick release drive setups and I tried a different one and it works perfect. Strange that the one slot didn't work as I have used drives in that one before. Thanks for you help.

stealth2920, Feb 9, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome, it could be that SATA port might share with a PCI or PCIe port.
    On my MOBO when I use my M.2 slot, I lose 2 of my SATA ports.

Cliff S, Feb 9, 2017
  10. Could be. I am going to open the computer up and recheck or re-do some cables.

stealth2920, Feb 9, 2017
  11. FYI, I unplugged and switched SATA ports and all the drives work perfect now. Like you said I might have lost that one SATA port for some reason.

stealth2920, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

New SSD Won't Set Up

1. New SSD Won't Set Up - Similar Threads - SSD Won't Set

2. Setting up a new Internal SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a new Internal SSD: I am Installing a new internal ssd in my computer swapping out the old one for newer. Downloaded the installation media for windows on a blank usb flash drive stick but when I got through the installation dialogue it says unable to find driver. Don’t know what that means and...
  3. Setting up a new Internal SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up a new Internal SSD: I am Installing a new internal ssd in my computer swapping out the old one for newer. Downloaded the installation media for windows on a blank usb flash drive stick but when I got through the installation dialogue it says unable to find driver. Don’t know what that means and...
  4. Setting up a new Internal SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SSD won't show up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD won't show up.: So I was factory resetting my PC earlier on and when deleting the unneeded partitions I went along and accidently deleted my SSD partition. I didn't think much of it at the time as I thought it would show back up after trying to factory reset again, but it will not show...
  6. SSD won't show up.

SSD won't show up.: So I was factory resetting my PC earlier on and when deleting the unneeded partitions I went along and accidently deleted my SSD partition. I didn't think much of it at the time as I thought it would show back up after trying to factory reset again, but it will not show...
  7. New SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New SSD won't boot: I just cloned my Windows 10 partition to a new SSD, but it won't boot. I had Windows set up to dual boot to Windows XP on another partition on the same HD when I cloned it. I did not move that XP partition to the SSD, is that possibly the reason it won't boot? When I try to...
  8. New SSD won't boot

New SSD won't boot: I just cloned my Windows 10 partition to a new SSD, but it won't boot. I had Windows set up to dual boot to Windows XP on another partition on the same HD when I cloned it. I did not move that XP partition to the SSD, is that possibly the reason it won't boot? When I try to...
  9. New SSD won't boot

10. Setting up SSD

Setting up SSD: Hi everyone. My current OS is installed in my hard drive disk. But I'm planning to have a SSD specifically M.2 NVME SSD so the current set up will be a ssd and a hard drive and I want my OS to be installed in my new SSD to have a faster boot up. My question is do I need...