Windows 10: New SSD

Discus and support New SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; just replaced the disk tray on my lappy with a second 1TB SSD going to stripe them in a RAID configuration....Any advice or tips in this area.... I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rarda, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Rarda Win User

New SSD

just replaced the disk tray on my lappy with a second 1TB SSD going to stripe them in a RAID configuration....Any advice or tips in this area.... I wasn't sure where to post this so please move it if necessary

:)

Rarda, Feb 16, 2017
  2. slance310 Win User

New SSD

Hi,

The missing box and license that came with the OS... Is this the original OS on the machine, or the new Windows 10 Flash Drive ?

Have you ever installed the new Win 10 on the machine ?

Installing a new SSD and memory should not cause a problem with your old license, or with the new Windows 10... UNLESS the SSD requires you to change your machine from IDE to AHCI in Bios for the SSD to work...

That may or may not be a problem, but if it is, a call to Microsoft should resolve the problem... The biggest deal is the motherboard...

You might want to create a new Flash Drive though... The one you have probably has a older version of Windows 10 that will almost immediately try to upgrade...

If you did not upgrade from Win 7 or 8 to Win 10 with your new flash drive, you may have a problem... If you did a upgrade you would have a Digital License that would automatically activate by reading a code off of your motherboard... Things don't work this
    way when you install a retail version of Win 10...

What you may be able to do is to put your old HDD back in and run a tool that will read the license key from the Registry... You can download a good simple one here... The download link is under the last picture...

How to view your product key in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7

slance310, Feb 16, 2017
  3. New SSD

If you are using the same motherboard and retail version of 10, then you can install it on new drive and windows should auto activate it after or during install.

If it is possible to log onto that old defective drive

download this and run it and retrieve your activation key code

ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

Even an upgrade from 7 or 8 to 10, you should still be able to do clean install on new drive and activate.

seahawks65, Feb 16, 2017
  4. New SSD

My 1/2 cent and I'm big on data security.

If you are going to stripe them in Raid 0, then basically you will be putting all your data at risk to a single drive failure. So that would double the probability that you lose everything. No saying not to do it, I would just ensure I have a very robust backup schedule.

Caledon Ken, Feb 16, 2017
  5. bobkn Win User
    I used a RAID 10 (4 X 500GB spinners) a few years ago, using the motherboard's Intel RAID capability. (Some called that fake RAID.)

After some BSODs, the Intel drivers re-verified the array. Took hours, although the PC remained usable (with impaired HD performance).

I've stayed away from RAID since. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad with an SSD RAID 0 setup, because of the speed. (It would take a much shorter time to verify the array. Or does the array get verified for RAID 0? Without redundancy, errors would not be correctable.)

I'm not sure that I'd worry about reliability. If a single drive had a probability of failure of 0.001 in 2 years, then two drives would have a probability of 0.002 (assuming statistical independence). Multiplying a small number times 2 isn't exactly a dramatic reduction in reliability.

Do you have an application that would benefit from RAID 0, or are you a benchmark enthusiast?

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

New SSD

1. New SSD - Similar Threads - SSD

2. My pc boots up with the wrong ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc boots up with the wrong ssd: I built my pc and installed a 1tb ssd and downloaded windows 11 on the 1tb ssd then I bought a 2tb ssd. When I installed the new 2tb ssd I removed the old 1tb ssd and installed windows on the new 2tb then I plug back the old 1tb ssd. I have both on my pc now. I turn on my pc...
  3. My pc boots up with the wrong ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc boots up with the wrong ssd: I built my pc and installed a 1tb ssd and downloaded windows 11 on the 1tb ssd then I bought a 2tb ssd. When I installed the new 2tb ssd I removed the old 1tb ssd and installed windows on the new 2tb then I plug back the old 1tb ssd. I have both on my pc now. I turn on my pc...
  4. my external ssd won't connect in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my external ssd won't connect in explorer: Hello Everone,I need your help guys!Since I downloaded photos from my iPhone that were in HEIC format, I sent them to my external SSD, and quickly my external SSD stopped working. My external ssd E: won't connect in explorer, and is looking like this:When I plug it in, the...
  5. my external ssd won't connect in explorer

my external ssd won't connect in explorer: Hello Everone,I need your help guys!Since I downloaded photos from my iPhone that were in HEIC format, I sent them to my external SSD, and quickly my external SSD stopped working. My external ssd E: won't connect in explorer, and is looking like this:When I plug it in, the...
  6. I just got a new ssd and it gives me a blue screen when i try to instal windows 11 on it....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just got a new ssd and it gives me a blue screen when i try to instal windows 11 on it....: I just got a new ssd and when I turn on the PC with the usb with the windows 11 installation it shows me "Recovery, Your PC/Device needs to be repaired...". Sometimes if i try to open bios it gives me a black screen, but when it works it shows me that my ssd is under raid...
  7. I just got a new ssd and it gives me a blue screen when i try to instal windows 11 on it....

I just got a new ssd and it gives me a blue screen when i try to instal windows 11 on it....: I just got a new ssd and when I turn on the PC with the usb with the windows 11 installation it shows me "Recovery, Your PC/Device needs to be repaired...". Sometimes if i try to open bios it gives me a black screen, but when it works it shows me that my ssd is under raid...
  8. i have a 256 gb ssd i converted the disk to dynamic via disk manager but after i deleted...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i have a 256 gb ssd i converted the disk to dynamic via disk manager but after i deleted...: help plz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-256-gb-ssd-i-converted-the-disk-to/2a4ac20a-d6ef-43e3-a94e-62b4cc331627
  9. i have a 256 gb ssd i converted the disk to dynamic via disk manager but after i deleted...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have a 256 gb ssd i converted the disk to dynamic via disk manager but after i deleted...: help plz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-256-gb-ssd-i-converted-the-disk-to/2a4ac20a-d6ef-43e3-a94e-62b4cc331627
  10. i have a 256 gb ssd i converted the disk to dynamic via disk manager but after i deleted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd drive failure installing new win10pro