Windows 10: New Tab Window looks like Edge when using IE

Discus and support New Tab Window looks like Edge when using IE in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; In an attempt to resolve another problem I have reset my IE11 settings. I wish I hadn't but too late now. One problem is that when I click on the New... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Judesman, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Judesman Win User

New Tab Window looks like Edge when using IE

In an attempt to resolve another problem I have reset my IE11 settings. I wish I hadn't but too late now. One problem is that when I click on the New Tab box a window opens that looks like the Edge Home Page without the menu options. Previously there used to be boxes showing the open web sites so what has happened? IE is my default browser.

New Tab Window looks like Edge when using IE [​IMG]

Any thoughts please? I prefer the original open web site boxes.

:)

Judesman, Nov 8, 2017
  2. freddiePE Win User

Internet explorer in windows 10 anniversary update

Hi Jesebel,,

Thanks for the reply.

1. I have run the troubleshooter and it does not report any issues.

2. All add-ons are disabled.

3. The problem is unique to IE 11. Firefox, Edge, Chrome browsers work normally.

4. IE 11 file version is 11.0.14393.0, created July 16, 2016 with no modifications since that date.

The IE failure is in the opening of a new tab/window when right clicking on a link. The new tab/windows opens but the address of the link is not pasted to the new tab/window. I can copy the link address, open a new tab, then paste the link address and
    IE works normally. It just appears that the link address is not being passed to the new tab/window when using the right click, open new tab/window. When opening in the same window the link works normally and the issue is present for any web site.

The issue only came up after the installation of the anniversary update. SFC indicates that there are no integrity issues in the system.

It looks like some of the IE code having to do with the passing of the link to the new tab/window has been compromised in the installation of the anniversary update. I do not get an error logged in event viewer, the new tab/window just stalls when the new
    tab/window does not have the link loaded in the address bar and IE 11 is the only browser affected. The new tab/window has the url pasted as "about:blank" in the address menu bar.

Thanks,

Fred

freddiePE, Nov 8, 2017
  3. BMuse Win User
    Edge does not integrate with the Taskbar for spawning new browser sessions

Hi,

Question:

It looks like spawning new browser sessions are not possible in 10 using the old IE windows key combination, win-shift and then the positional number on the taskbar for Edge/browser. The only option I see for a new browser session in 10 is when the focus
    is on the browser and then hitting CNTRL-n to spawn a new session. Edge looks like it is not backward compatable for this feature to me.

Edge version: 20.10240.16384.0

BMuse, Nov 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Open Internet Options. A couple of settings changes will get you back to what you (and I) prefer.
    First set about:tabs as your home page...

Bree, Nov 8, 2017
  5. Judesman Win User
    Many thanks Bree. What happened to the page that showed all those boxes where some of them had details of the web pages that are open? I am sure I saw that somewhere.

Judesman, Nov 8, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    the about:tabs page is a list of your frequently visited sites, built up as you browse. From there you can click on a tile to go direct to its page. Is that the page you mean?

By default, about:tabs has one row of tiles, but you can add more in the registry. In...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing\NewTabPage
    ...create a DWORD, name it NumRows and set it to the number of rows you want, 3 is a sensible number to use.

Bree, Nov 8, 2017
  7. This was great help.

Personally I have never liked IE so haven't been playing around with it. I avoid IE as much as possible...but sometimes I must use it since many Sharepoint features only works in IE. :-(

slicendice, Nov 8, 2017
  8. Judesman Win User

Thanks Bree. Using those settings I have changed to "New Tab Page" which I think is what I am looking for. See below.

Judesman, Nov 8, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    That is IE - doing a good job of resembling Edge *Smile

@Judesman, one last tip - if you ever deliberately or accidentally click the X top right of each tile it permanently removes that site and prevents it ever reappearing in your Frequent sites. There is no way in IE to undo this, but you can delete the registry entry it creates in..
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing\NewTabPage\Exclude

Bree, Nov 8, 2017
  10. Judesman Win User
    Many thanks Bree, I didn't realise their was an X there until I hovered over it just now.

Judesman, Nov 8, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    This is interesting indeed. I've been using Edge for quite some time now and I can't remember the last time I reset IE. Must be years. Never noticed this warning before.

Tony K, Nov 8, 2017
  12. Judesman Win User
    Yes, think very carefully before you do it and note any settings. I have a vast number of sites in Favourites, I just add them for convenience. A reset will put all your Favourites in alphabetical order whether in Folders or not. My reset was a real pain and didn't even resolve my problem.

Judesman, Nov 8, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

No it only shows when you hover over it - and it's all too easy to click on it instead of the tile. You end up removing you favourite site instead of going to it *Sad

I notice you have the Menu bar permanently showing. If you'd like a bit more screen area available for the web pages, untick it in View>Toolbars. If you subsequently need it, you can get it to temporarily reappear at any time by pressing the Alt key.

14. Tony K Win User
    Thanks. Not to worry. No way would I click that button after seeing your problem. *Shock

Tony K, Nov 8, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    One useful debugging technique is to open an InPrivate session (Ctrl+Shift+P). It behaves much as if you'd done a reset, but only for that session.

Thema:

1. New Tab Window looks like Edge when using IE - Similar Threads - Tab Window looks

2. Microsoft Unveils New Edge Browser Logo That No Longer Looks Like IE

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Unveils New Edge Browser Logo That No Longer Looks Like IE: Microsoft Unveils New Edge Browser Logo That No Longer Looks Like IE Microsoft is refreshing the logo for its Chromium-based Edge browser. The software giant originally unveiled its Edge icon more than four years ago, and it’s fair to say it was a logo that clinged to the...
  3. Microsoft Edge - IE "Mode" or Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge - IE "Mode" or Tab: My company uses several legacy websites and I'd like to use them using the recently enable IE "mode" in Microsoft Edge. However, I cannot seem to find any guides for doing this. The YouTube video Microsoft Edge with Internet Explorer Mode - PRE09 is helpful in regards to...
  4. Exclusive: This is what the new Chromium-based Edge looks like

in Browsers and Email
    Exclusive: This is what the new Chromium-based Edge looks like: Microsoft is working on a new version of Edge that's based on the open-source Chromium project, a move that shocked many. The company has internally been working on the browser for months now and, according to our sources, currently maintains two channels for the browser: a...
  5. IE not edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  6. IE not edge

in Windows 10 Support
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  7. When will IE and Edge go away?

in Browsers and Email
    When will IE and Edge go away?: MS will never drop Edge. It would be a total humiliation. On tablets and touch screens Edge is great. I would use Edge all tthe time in my non touch laptop if it was not for one truly irritating bug. When I rapid scroll on a newly presented page with my mouse wheel, it...
  8. How to get "Frequent" items when opening a new IE 11 tab like before?

in Browsers and Email
    How to get "Frequent" items when opening a new IE 11 tab like before?: It seems after an Internet Explorer 11 update, new tabs now show "Top Sites" and a "My Feed" (which you can turn off in settings accessed via the new home web page). First of all, what are these "Top Sites"? They certainly don't look like MY top sites. It's a new promotion...
  9. switch to new tab when opened in edge

in Browsers and Email
    switch to new tab when opened in edge: How do you make Edge display the contents of a new tab that you have downloaded by right clicking link? The tab is there after the right click but do I have to click on the tab, or can I set it to open automatically, if so How? 34640
  10. IE or Edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE or Edge: which is better to use Edge or IE sorry i'm a bit confused are they the same but different or are they just different why did MS keep both 20303