Windows 10: New tablet/laptop can't find WDMyCloud NAS

Discus and support New tablet/laptop can't find WDMyCloud NAS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I know its simple because I've done it several times with the other computers on our network but I can't remember how. I just got a new |(refurb) Acer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sidecar Bob, Jan 30, 2018.

1. New tablet/laptop can't find WDMyCloud NAS

I know its simple because I've done it several times with the other computers on our network but I can't remember how. I just got a new |(refurb) Acer SW1-001-018US tablet/laptop and I'm trying to get it connected to the MyCloud.

When I go to File Explorer>Network it sees the MyCloud in the Media Devices and Storage sections but not in the Computer section.

It shows up in Computer on the HP Stream8 this one is replacing but not in the Lenovo desktop but both have folders on the MyCloud pinned to Quick Access so that I can use.

If anyone has any idea what I'm not remembering to do please help this dummy out.

:)

Sidecar Bob, Jan 30, 2018

2. W10 network drives disappear

I've searched for a rational answer, and can't find one. My love/hate relationship with W10 continues...

I have a fairly new Buffalo Linkstation NAS that is working just fine. I have a home network with five computers (2 desktops/3 laptops) connected to my wifi router and, through a switch, various printers, scanner and the NAS.

One laptop continually drops network drives on the NAS - whether these are actually mapped to a drive letter, or simply available through Network as shares.

The network diagnostics find nothing wrong. Printers are still functioning.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Clayton P. Kign, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Bob1341 Win User
    Send Pix from Laptop to Tablet with Bluetooth

My laptop (Acer Aspire E1-510 running W10) and Android tablet (Acer B1-770 running Android 5.0.1) are paired, but I can't send a picture from the laptop to the tablet. The laptop can't add a device (the tablet) and the tablet can't find any nearby devices
    with Bluetooth ON. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Bob1341, Jan 30, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

New tablet/laptop can't find WDMyCloud NAS

There is some problem with the default updates turning off SMB 1 in Apps/Programs and Features and Turn Windows Features off or on, needs a checkmark in it.

Berton, Jan 30, 2018
  5. SMB1 is checked on both of the ones that don't have WDMyCloud in Network>Computer.

6. Wullail Win User
    Wonderful , todays update just did the exact same thing on my sons PC , making sure there was a TICK instead of a Black square in SMB1 solved this issue for me.

Wullail, Jan 30, 2018
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Not sure if it will stop SMBv1 getting uninstalled on the next major update (SMBv1 shouldn't get removed if it's being used), but I would remove the check for SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal just for good measure *Smile

Eagle51, Jan 30, 2018
  8. swarfega Win User

There is an option to change which version of SMB to use on the NAS, so might be worth checking to make sure your not using SMB1.

swarfega, Jan 30, 2018
  9. A tick instead of a black square? When I checked I saw a black square (or squarish dot? I can't replicate it now to check because the screen says "Getting Windows Ready...". Again.) in the box and assumed that meant it was selected. Just to make sure I clicked it (the box became empty) and clicked again (the square/dot returned) but it didn't make any difference.

Everything else on the network can access the MyCloud the way it is so I don't want to mess with its settings. I remember having this problem when I set up my wife's Acer SW3 and it turned out to be something so simple I didn't bother writing it down. I have a feeling I'm just not looking for it the right way.....

Anyway, The SW1 is still updating Windows (it is running faster since I plugged in the Ethernet - the Ethernet/USB adapter I bought for a laptop with a dead Ethernet port was a good investment) so I'll let that finish before I try anything else.

10. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey Sidecar Bob,
    When you unchecked the check box and then rechecked it, windows is reinstalling SMBv1. A black square means at least one of the options is checked. You need to expand it to see which options are checked.

New tablet/laptop can't find WDMyCloud NAS [​IMG]

Eagle51, Jan 30, 2018
  11. Its downloading more updates so I can look at stuff now. In the window you indicate I now see SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support with a check mark in the box that has the black square in your pic but there is no +/- box next to that to open the list.

But this time the WDMyCloud shows in File Explorer>Network>Computer and I was able to pin it to Quick Access and pin my share on it to Start (which is what I was trying to do in the first place).

Just waiting for Windows to run some more updates seems to be all it needed so I'm going to mark this as Solved in case anyone else has the same problem in the future and just needs to wait.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try to remember to check after it is done updating (its working on 1709 for the 2nd time - that one took about 8 tries on one of the other computers) to see if the +/- box appears.

BTW: I'm still wondering why the MyCloud doesn't show up in Computers on my desktop...

Sidecar Bob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New tablet/laptop can't find WDMyCloud NAS - Similar Threads - tablet laptop can't

2. Old Laptop can't find new Wifi network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Laptop can't find new Wifi network: So in a nutshell I have an older laptop Toshiba satellite c875 running Windows 8.1. recently we got rid of Xfinity Wi-Fi because the price was outrageous. For as long as I can remember having Xfinity my laptop connected to the internet with no problem. We just purchased...
  3. Old Laptop can't find new Wifi network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Laptop can't find new Wifi network: So in a nutshell I have an older laptop Toshiba satellite c875 running Windows 8.1. recently we got rid of Xfinity Wi-Fi because the price was outrageous. For as long as I can remember having Xfinity my laptop connected to the internet with no problem. We just purchased...
  4. NAS on new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NAS on new SSD: I accidentally broke a SSD, but I had 2 NAS 4 Terabyte connected to it. I bought the same SSD, installed my Windows 10 on it, but I can't access those drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. D~...
  5. NAS on new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NAS on new SSD: I accidentally broke a SSD, but I had 2 NAS 4 Terabyte connected to it. I bought the same SSD, installed my Windows 10 on it, but I can't access those drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. D~...
  6. Laptop can't see NAS and other PC, but the other PC can see the NAS (but not the laptop)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop can't see NAS and other PC, but the other PC can see the NAS (but not the laptop): So my PC can now finally see the NAS on the network, however it can't see the laptop even though they are on the same network. My laptop can't see the PC nor the NAS even though all the settings like NetBIOS and SMB and file sharing are turned on. I can't ping the laptop from...
  7. NAS not visible on new laptop via wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS not visible on new laptop via wifi: Afternoon all I have a windows configuration query I can confirm there are no configuration issues with my NAS as I have no problems accessing the NAS via my own laptop via wifi I purchased a new laptop for my Son and am unable to access the NAS on his new laptop I...
  8. Tablet PC's won't connect to NAS

Tablet PC's won't connect to NAS: I have an old NAS that uses SMB 1.0. Older laptops can map the NAS, no problem. My two desktop PCs also map to the NAS, no problem. (I enabled "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" on all PCs). But I have two Microsoft touch tablets that just won't connect to the NAS. (All PCs...
  9. I can't find tablet mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't find tablet mode: Hello. Im currently using a DELL windows 10 laptop. When I tried looking for tablet mode I couldn't find it in the actions center at all and I don't know where to look or what to do. Please help...
  10. NAS and Laptops

NAS and Laptops: I've researched this on the internet, and just left myself confused! Sorry in advance for the long post, but I wanted to make clear where I am, and where I want to be. I work from home, as does my wife, and we have 3 Win 10 PCs on a wired network (We each have a work PC, and...