Windows 10: New to W10 - imaging Q

Discus and support New to W10 - imaging Q in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey all *Smile Have been using W7, where I have Acronis to image my C drive. What is the recommended way to image the C drive in W10? Is Acronis... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by riffwraith, Jan 4, 2017.

1. New to W10 - imaging Q

Hey all *Smile

Have been using W7, where I have Acronis to image my C drive.

What is the recommended way to image the C drive in W10? Is Acronis still a good way to go? Should I use the W10 imaging system - called ICD, I think?

Thanks in advance.

:)

riffwraith, Jan 4, 2017

2. ussing messenger with windows phone 8.1

Thank you for your q answer.

Unfortunately I've to change the hw, I mean purchase a new mobile, once the Lumia 735 doesn't support the w10, as far as I've informed.

Regards

Elso

Elso_pirilampo, Jan 4, 2017
  3. Beroun Win User
    Wanna Cyber Attack

Do not understand why are you referring me to W7 issue? My Q was on W10!

Beroun, Jan 4, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

New to W10 - imaging Q

Most of us here prefer Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Reflect Free

A few members have dumped Acronis and switched to Macrium Reflect.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2017
  5. DavidY Win User
    Just to give some background on Windows ICD. It stands for "Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer" and it is definitely NOT a tool for making backups.

It is used to deploy a customised configuration of Windows 10 onto hardware - great if you're in the business of making PCs or if you need to deploy a particular 'build' of Windows across your organisation - but not relevant for most users.

Windows 10 does include a tool to create a System Image backup, but I wouldn't bother with that - use Macrium Reflect or one of the other similar tools out there.

DavidY, Jan 5, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I have persevered with that, it's Backup & Restore's 'make a system image'. When it can see an image to restore the restoration is reliable. Where it falls down is that it's very temperamental about recognising an image it can restore. Copying or renaming an image can make it fail to be recognised, for no apparent reason.

From long experience struggling to make it work, I'd say go for Macrium too *Smile

Bree, Jan 5, 2017
  7. Thanks guys!

Ok, Macrium Reflect Free it is.

But I have 2 Qs. As a free user, I don't have access to the support forum, so hopefully someone can help me here.

I tried to make a bootable USB drive, but it seems to have failed. All I have is a System Volume Information folder, with two 1KB files in there, and when I restarted the computer with the USB drive in, it booted right into W10, which I am sure it's not supposed to do. The USB drive is currently FAT32 - is that why? If not, any other ideas?

Secondly, I have two options:

1. Clone this disk
    2. Image this disk

Which do I use?

Thanks again.

riffwraith, Jan 5, 2017
  8. SoFine409 Win User

New to W10 - imaging Q

if you already have an Acronis license and you know how to use it by all means continue. I've been using it for many years and it never fail to backup and restore. I use it frequently when I try out new things, especially major windows updates. That said go ahead and try Macrium. Lots of people here use it and like it. I intend to try it as well over the next few weeks. That way you can pick whichever one you like.

SoFine409, Jan 5, 2017
  9. Ok, Acronis 2014 does indeed work in W10 - I was told it wouldn't.

So, I will stick with that.

Thanks again for the replies!

riffwraith, Jan 5, 2017
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    I just checked the Acronis tech support site and thay say the 2014 version is not "officially supported" for Win10 but many people have used it successfully. Be careful and do a test just to be sure it doesn't fail just when you need it.

SoFine409, Jan 5, 2017
  11. pparks1 Win User
    Macrium Reflect is usually a good app. I switched from Acorns to Paragon Backup and Recovery myself years ago. I'm using an older version, but it seems to be working just fine with Windows 10.

pparks1, Jan 5, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    I used Acronis backup software a while ago but gave up using it in preference to Macrium Reflect Free. Note the Acronis software installed low level disk drivers / filters which were very hard to remove. I prefer imaging to cloning for various reasons provided you have storage space for the images.

Steve C, Jan 5, 2017
  13. New to W10 - imaging Q

Last three posts: good to know... thanks!

riffwraith, Jan 5, 2017
  14. pbcopter Win User
    Acronis True Image 2014 works fine with Windows 10. It has always been very reliable.

pbcopter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

New to W10 - imaging Q

1. New to W10 - imaging Q - Similar Threads - W10 imaging

2. Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?: Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-w10s-basic-system-image-reliable-to-use-today/57d94d88-7646-460b-a9e3-db2df99c317d
  3. Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?: Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-w10s-basic-system-image-reliable-to-use-today/57d94d88-7646-460b-a9e3-db2df99c317d
  4. Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?: Sorry the below is a bit long winded but I wanted to include all steps that I actioned…Laptop purchased with W11 and created W11 updated backup image to internal and external drives.Downgraded from W11 to W10 and created W10 updated backup image to internal and external...
  6. Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?

Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?: Sorry the below is a bit long winded but I wanted to include all steps that I actioned…Laptop purchased with W11 and created W11 updated backup image to internal and external drives.Downgraded from W11 to W10 and created W10 updated backup image to internal and external...
  7. Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. W10 PC reboots when playing games and desktop image blacked out but reveals in a small box...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 PC reboots when playing games and desktop image blacked out but reveals in a small box...: Hi, this is a long ongoing issue. I am not very IT literate but I have had ad hoc support from friends who have advised on the actions listed below but nothing has worked. I also took the PC in to a repair shop that ran benchmark tests and couldn't replicate the issue so...
  9. W10 PC reboots when playing games and desktop image blacked out but reveals in a small box...

W10 PC reboots when playing games and desktop image blacked out but reveals in a small box...: Hi, this is a long ongoing issue. I am not very IT literate but I have had ad hoc support from friends who have advised on the actions listed below but nothing has worked. I also took the PC in to a repair shop that ran benchmark tests and couldn't replicate the issue so...
  10. Did I Receive a bad OEM Image? No W10 Apps Installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Did I Receive a bad OEM Image? No W10 Apps Installed: Purchased a batch of Dell Optiplex 7780 AIOs and I've noticed that two of them came without any Windows 10 Apps No Store, No Calculator, No Camera,etc.- Reloading the machine doesn't put them back. I've noticed that for one of them, the apps come up when I switch from a...