Windows 10: New Usb 2.O drive shows up in device manager but not explorer

Discus and support New Usb 2.O drive shows up in device manager but not explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am installing a new external USB 2.0 hard drive for use as a backup media. It shows up in the Device Manger as an external USB drive but is not shown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by docweathers, Jun 3, 2018.

1. New Usb 2.O drive shows up in device manager but not explorer

I am installing a new external USB 2.0 hard drive for use as a backup media. It shows up in the Device Manger as an external USB drive but is not shown in Windows Explorer. What do I need to do to get it to appear in Windows Explorer?

:)

docweathers, Jun 3, 2018
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Jun 4, 2018
  3. What has happened to the additional drives that appeared in the Windows Explorer for external USB devices

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

For better understanding please answer the below questions:

• Does the USB drive shows in the Device Manager?
    • Is the computer detecting the connected USB devices?
    • Have you checked the USB drives on the different computers?
    I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

Check if you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management. If you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management, follow the steps to assign the drive letter:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Do one of the following:

• To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click
      Add
      , click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click
      OK.
    Method 2: I would suggest you to un-install and reinstall USB controllers and check. This method resolves steps where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupted.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right click a device and click Uninstall.
    • Repeat for each device. Once complete, restart your computer.
    • Your USB controllers will automatically install.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jun 4, 2018
Thema:

New Usb 2.O drive shows up in device manager but not explorer

1. New Usb 2.O drive shows up in device manager but not explorer - Similar Threads - Usb drive shows

2. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.: I have a 2tb USB hard drive which is full of data that I cannot access any more. The device does not show up in file explorer but I can see it in the disk format tool, there is no drive letter assigned to it. Right clicking on the main partition and trying to assign a drive...
  3. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.: I have a 2tb USB hard drive which is full of data that I cannot access any more. The device does not show up in file explorer but I can see it in the disk format tool, there is no drive letter assigned to it. Right clicking on the main partition and trying to assign a drive...
  4. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB device not showing up in device manager

USB device not showing up in device manager: I have an Epson DS-530 scanner that was set up and running fine on my desktop a while ago before it stopped working.I have been able to set it up on another computer with no problem so I know it is not a bad cable/device, but it is not showing up in the device manager.Any...
  6. USB device not showing up in device manager

USB device not showing up in device manager: I have an Epson DS-530 scanner that was set up and running fine on my desktop a while ago before it stopped working.I have been able to set it up on another computer with no problem so I know it is not a bad cable/device, but it is not showing up in the device manager.Any...
  7. USB device not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer

Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer: I have a sandisk ultra flash drive that I made the mistake of plugging into a printer so that it could scan files directly on to it. I should have known better as printers always find a way to make your job harder, but, it ended up corrupting the flash drive and now I'm stuck...
  9. Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer

Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer: I have a sandisk ultra flash drive that I made the mistake of plugging into a printer so that it could scan files directly on to it. I should have known better as printers always find a way to make your job harder, but, it ended up corrupting the flash drive and now I'm stuck...
  10. New drive not showing up in explorer or disk management

New drive not showing up in explorer or disk management: Its a 4TB Barracuda Pro 6 GB/s It shows up in the BIOS (of course it does) but nowhere else. When I first went into disk management I got a prompt asking which partition I wanted and I chose GPT, but the drive didn't show up after. Ive tried different sata ports, memory...