Windows 10: New W10 Install - Hard Drives Show Up As Removable

Discus and support New W10 Install - Hard Drives Show Up As Removable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just completed an update installation on a desktop PC running Windows 7. Now my hard drives show up as removable drives. Normally this is due to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TV2, Jan 10, 2016.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

New W10 Install - Hard Drives Show Up As Removable

I just completed an update installation on a desktop PC running Windows 7. Now my hard drives show up as removable drives.

Normally this is due to the need to install an AHCI driver. And that is normally the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel chipsets. The driver was installed in Windows 7.

Is this a case where I need to manually install a new IRST Driver for Windows 10?
    If so, should I uninstall the existing first, or will the new one overwrite the old?

:)

2. My hard drives are showing up as removable.

Sorry Mike! Some times I don't get it right the first time. Glad you got your issue solved!

Glad you know how to use search. Some of our members don't!

garybear

Thanks for your reply!

garybear89, Jan 10, 2016
  3. garybear89, Jan 10, 2016
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

OK dudes and dudettes - I solved this problem.

I had to reinstall the ICH10R SATA AHCI Driver for my motherboard (Asus P6T).

Trouble was, the most recent Intel driver version was showing for the Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller device in Device Manager.
    I started by going to the Asus P6T website and downloaded the current driver package (for Windows 7 64 bit - the newest OS available), and unzipped it to a file on the desktop.

Then in Device Manager I went to Properties for the Controller > Update Driver >
    Initial attempts resulted in "The best driver is installed"
    Now I selected "Browse my Computer" and I then went beyond that to "Let me pick from a list of drivers for this device" > selected the SATA AHCI device > Next
    This installed the generic Windows 10 driver (10.0.10586.0). > Restart > problem remains.

Back in Device Manager > Search my computer > navigate to the folder on the desktop > highlight driver folder > Next > Restart

Problem solved. Intel Driver installed. No more removable drives.

The driver version is the same as it was, but now the AHCI part is working as expected.
    Go figure.

So I can leave IRST alone (uninstalled), as I have read that Windows 10 does not need it.

Thema:

1. New W10 Install - Hard Drives Show Up As Removable - Similar Threads - W10 Install Hard

2. Hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive not showing up: After cleaning my pc, my computer has been facing a lot of hard drive issues. At first my hard drive wasn't showing up in file explorer and disk management, but today it automatically came back. It had a different drive letter and when I opened a file in the drive it woud...
  3. Hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive not showing up: After cleaning my pc, my computer has been facing a lot of hard drive issues. At first my hard drive wasn't showing up in file explorer and disk management, but today it automatically came back. It had a different drive letter and when I opened a file in the drive it woud...
  4. Hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard Drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive not showing up: I have both an SSD and a HDD. When I go to file explorer only the SSD shows up. In the bios both the HDD and the SSD shows up. The HDD doesnt show up in device manager either. How to I get the HDD to start appearing?...
  6. Hard Drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive not showing up: I have both an SSD and a HDD. When I go to file explorer only the SSD shows up. In the bios both the HDD and the SSD shows up. The HDD doesnt show up in device manager either. How to I get the HDD to start appearing?...
  7. Hard Drive Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Not Showing Up: Hello, I have a hard drive installed, in a computer I just built, it shows up in my Asus bios and everything but it doesn't show up on my computer devices. It is so weird. Can someone help?...
  8. Hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive not showing up: While building a computer I was told that installing the OS on a SSD would lead to a faster boot time than if I Installed it on a hard drive So I recently did the only problem is that now windows isn't acknowledging the hard drive in "This PC". I have tried the following...
  9. hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    hard drive not showing up: my win 10 broke so i decided to reinstall win 10 by usb. before my win 10 broke it would show up that i had two drives now it doesn't. if i check disk management it on shows that i have only one drive submitted by /u/collsheryar [link] [comments]...
  10. New Hard drive Not showing up on HP laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Hard drive Not showing up on HP laptop: I just bought a new hard drive from best buy, its a western digital Blue 500gb hard drive, the old one was failing and causing windows to run slow so I bought this one to fix it. When I try to install the new OS into the blank hard disk it doesnt show up on the list, nothing...