Windows 10: New Win 10 computer--Unable to access files on backup drive from XP PC

Discus and support New Win 10 computer--Unable to access files on backup drive from XP PC in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I went to the drive manufacturer (Seagate) to ask about the above and they told me I had no rights to the files and needed to establish them. Gave me a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by WestofyouLB, Nov 8, 2016.

1. New Win 10 computer--Unable to access files on backup drive from XP PC

I went to the drive manufacturer (Seagate) to ask about the above and they told me I had no rights to the files and needed to establish them. Gave me a URL Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10 to gain rights.

However, as often happens, the procedure deviated a little from reality (I guess due to updates that were not followed by the site) so I kept going. Came to a point where it asks me to tell it the name of individuals or groups I wanted to grant rights to, and I simply lack information to choose anything from there, to make something up or whatever. Here is a screenshot

New Win 10 computer--Unable to access files on backup drive from XP PC [​IMG]

I need a little help to go on from here. My backup, as they are to all of us, is important.

Thanks.

:)

WestofyouLB, Nov 8, 2016

2. Restoring files from XP

I have a backup file, on an external hard drive, from my old computer which was running Windows XP. The computer crashed and I purchased a new computer which is running Windows 10. Is there a way to recover all of my old files from the XP backup on my
    new computer? The backup file was created using the backup / restore function in Windows XP.

Brian M1962, Nov 8, 2016
  3. David3084 Win User
    Networking win 10 to a winXP

Hi I want to connect my new Win 10 PC to my existing network of winXP Pc,s , I can access the network of win XP computers from my new Win 10 pc ,but when I try to access the network from my win XP computer it askes for a 'User Name' and a password,, I know
    the password to access the network as it gave me a password when setting it up (from win10) but what would the user name be...

thanks

Dave

David3084, Nov 8, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

New Win 10 computer--Unable to access files on backup drive from XP PC

You are your username as having full control

Samuria, Nov 8, 2016
  5. Rocky Win User
    That screenshot does not show your Seagate drive. Post a screenshot of your disk management. I am thinking that your problem will be as easy as assigning a drive letter to your Seagate drive.

Rocky, Nov 8, 2016
  6. Thanks for your reply. I don't understand what you said, though, nor what it means since I have no access to the drive. Which is, btw, G:\

WestofyouLB, Nov 8, 2016
  7. New Win 10 computer--Unable to access files on backup drive from XP PC [​IMG]

Above is a screenshot of my drives. The backup is G:\

WestofyouLB, Nov 8, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New Win 10 computer--Unable to access files on backup drive from XP PC - Similar Threads - computer Unable access

2. New Win 11 can’t find Windows Backup from Win 10 PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Win 11 can’t find Windows Backup from Win 10 PC: I just got a new laptop and wanted to set it up and it suggested I use Windows Backup to transfer my settings. I ran the app on my old Windows 10 computer and the backup was successful, but partial folders are not backed up and apps are partially backed up and that is ok I...
  3. New Win 11 can’t find Windows Backup from Win 10 PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Win 11 can’t find Windows Backup from Win 10 PC: I just got a new laptop and wanted to set it up and it suggested I use Windows Backup to transfer my settings. I ran the app on my old Windows 10 computer and the backup was successful, but partial folders are not backed up and apps are partially backed up and that is ok I...
  4. Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer: I have a Dell with an intelR core tm I7 CPU loaded with Win 10 Pro ver. 21.H2. The numbers on the keyboard are not working, so I have plugged in another keyboard which takes up a usb port and another mini wireless adapter that takes up the other usb port. There is not a third...
  5. Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer

Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer: I have a Dell with an intelR core tm I7 CPU loaded with Win 10 Pro ver. 21.H2. The numbers on the keyboard are not working, so I have plugged in another keyboard which takes up a usb port and another mini wireless adapter that takes up the other usb port. There is not a third...
  6. Unable to access new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access new computer: This new computer has been used one time. The second attempt to start it and the PIN was refused. I assumed I miss typed it when originally entering it. so I went through the "forgot PIN' process, I typed in the password which was accepted, I requested a code, and received...
  7. Unable to access new computer

Unable to access new computer: This new computer has been used one time. The second attempt to start it and the PIN was refused. I assumed I miss typed it when originally entering it. so I went through the "forgot PIN' process, I typed in the password which was accepted, I requested a code, and received...
  8. Creating New Folders in Files Downloaded from Backup Drive to New Computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating New Folders in Files Downloaded from Backup Drive to New Computer: I have a new Dell Computer and have downloaded all files from the old computer that were stored in a backup drive. The problem is that on the new computer hard drive OS:C I am unable to create new folders subfolders in my photo folders organized by month and my documents...
  9. Accessing backup files on cd from Windows 10 backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Accessing backup files on cd from Windows 10 backup: I backed up my system from my computer to cds (five total) and then had the computer (HP Pavilion) reset to factory default settings. How can I access the files that are on the backup disks?...
  10. Win 10 computer unable to access shared files on Win 7 computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 computer unable to access shared files on Win 7 computer: I have two desktop computers on a wired home network -- one running Win 10 (update 1903) and the other running Win 7. I have been able to share files between the two computers until about a week ago when the Win 10 computer started getting getting the message "Windows cannot...