Windows 10: New win 10 version

Discus and support New win 10 version in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; ....... has screwed pc up. I had no net, even though pc said i as connected but AVG said I had corrupted new dvr config, but - we have fixed it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by elbmek, Dec 3, 2015.

1. elbmek Win User

New win 10 version

....... has screwed pc up. I had no net, even though pc said i as connected but AVG said I had corrupted new dvr config, but - we have fixed it, reboot. Nice one AVG.

I have nothing to find on my windows icon for apps page, nothing happens!!!

Nce one MS, do one please! *Mad

oh yes, and it has removed spybot stating ' this does not work with win 10' - well I have news for you - it DID!!

:)

elbmek, Dec 3, 2015

2. System Image Backup on Windows 10

Have just moved to Win. 10 from 8.1

I used to run "System Image Backup" in 8.1

In 8.1 new runs of the backup overwrite older versions.

So two questions for Win 10 "System Image backups"

1 Should I delete the Win 8.1 version before starting the Win 10 version?

2 Does the Win 10 version overwrite older copies of the System Image backup?

JohnClarkZV, Dec 3, 2015
  3. DVway Win User
    QuickTime install

unable to install new version of QuickTime 7.7.8 in Win 10 tried the trouble shooter back to Win Vista, Apple installer pops up with can't install must be Win Vista or 7, version of QuickTime 7.7.7 imported from Win 8.1 to Win 10 works fine ?

DVway, Dec 3, 2015
  4. elbmek Win User

New win 10 version

Dont like this, my apps column has gone, where does another user sign in? There are changes that did not have to be made, next question will be how do we roll back ????

Win update vanished too

system restore switched off

system protection switched off - cannot activate either

refreshed and updated windows and = nothing!! " users gone, and all their data and mine is locked with no apps. Time to do fresh install methinks, cannot access anything to do with updates and other thinks.

Catch you later folks

elbmek, Dec 4, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Ok from your other post in a thread below I believe you are referring to the Nov upgrade.

I'd suggest a couple of possible options.
    1. If you have a disk image of a working configuration, you can restore that.
    or
    2. Since the Nov. upgrade creates a Windows.old folder, you should be able to revert to the previous configuration
    "you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery, 'Go back to an earlier build'. This will keep your personal files, but it’ll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings"

Once you have established a working configuration again, you can try (e.g.)
    1. Using disk imaging to create a backup.
    2. Uninstalling your AV (might be a cause of a problem).
    3. Uninstalling any other possibly conflicting program
    4. Trying the upgrade again.

dalchina, Dec 4, 2015
  6. elbmek Win User
    Updates & Sy not available, it reverts me to desktop as soon as I click on it
    1. no
    2. AVG not been a problem so far - might be worth a look
    3. unknown as all were working fine before last nights upgrade
    4. done no good

elbmek, Dec 4, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, maybe you missed my first 1 & 2. (possible options)
    I'll assume you don't use disk imaging (which everyone should as Windows is fragile) so (2) should be available either from your existing Windows or via a bootable installation medium.

Do you wish to revert to a working configuration?

Or you could perhaps try an in place repair using latest installation media to try to repair your 'broken' configuration.

Please note that
    - removal of Spybot, system restore being switched off are things that have been observed with the Nov update.
    - it will also have reset file associations to default.

dalchina, Dec 4, 2015
  8. elbmek Win User

New win 10 version

I am now back on the original win 10, working perfectly, but at a cost.

elbmek, Dec 4, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Glad to hear that worked out.. yes, all takes time.
    Strongly recommend you
    a. run chkdsk
    b. run SFC /Scannow from an elevated command prompt
    c. Get disk imaging software and create its boot disk and an image to an external medium.

Once done, schedule restart for updates (Settings, Updates, Advanced Options, assuming you're using Pro.

When the update to 10586 is ready, update your disk image, uninstall Spybot and AVG and retry.

dalchina, Dec 4, 2015
  10. elbmek Win User
    Thanks Dal, will sort out soonest. There was one heart stopping moment when It went the same way as before. It happened briefly then cleared just after I had upgraded the nvidia drivers. Wonders if that has a conflict, no idea? Anyway it cleared again, so at present I am re installing loads of programmes.

elbmek, Dec 4, 2015
  11. elbmek Win User
    just spotted I am back on 10586 but from a clean install and its working, one minor glitch as mentioned above but errors from previous 'upgrade' have all vanished.

elbmek, Dec 4, 2015
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    glad you got your OS repaired. Just a friendly warning thou....As I saw you just updated your Nvidia drivers, then I read your spec's, your running the exact same card as me, and Windows 10 has a problem right now with Nvidia drivers!! Their is no fix at present time. Once you run sfc /scannow windows will remove one of your NVidia drivers, and replace the other one, with a MS NVidia driver. This is a Microsoft problem and not a NVidia driver problem, just so you know.

OldMike65, Dec 5, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

New win 10 version

Hi, you'd only have done a clean install if you've booted from 10586 installation media and chosen that route. The intention was from the working state you re-established to let the update happen again, with the confidence of the disk image backups.

Please do use disk imaging.. the more programs you install, the more changes you make, the more risks you take.
    Disk imaging saves time, frustration, data, and stress, as well as providing a complete backup.

dalchina, Dec 5, 2015
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi Mike, interesting.. well, worrying... is that true for any Nvidia driver/graphics card? When I first installed Win 10 I got a basic MS driver- 25% off screen, sticky mouse.. until almost a day later my Nvidia graphics driver was downloaded automatically. (Is that what you mean by an MS Nvidia driver?)

dalchina, Dec 5, 2015
  15. elbmek Win User
    yes mate. I get auto updates from Nvidia, I dont use third party outlets. But as it turns out it wasnt that, just coincidence methinks. Fresh install now seems to be doing well. What pleased me most was that, somehow, it remembers all my settings and I was able to move desktop back from windows.old folder for all three users and am now about 80% up and running

elbmek, Dec 5, 2015
Thema:

New win 10 version

1. New win 10 version - Similar Threads - version

2. Mouse Without Borders Version 2.2.1.0316

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Mouse Without Borders Version 2.2.1.0316: A few people had the same question, but the original question is closed: Version 2.2.1.0316 - Microsoft CommunityWhere can we download "Mouse Without Borders Version 2.2.1.0316" for use with the SAW?...
  3. Mouse Without Borders Version 2.2.1.0316

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse Without Borders Version 2.2.1.0316: A few people had the same question, but the original question is closed: Version 2.2.1.0316 - Microsoft CommunityWhere can we download "Mouse Without Borders Version 2.2.1.0316" for use with the SAW?...
  4. Mouse Without Borders Version 2.2.1.0316

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Error 0x80040154 for 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Update Version 23H2 for x64...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x80040154 for 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Update Version 23H2 for x64...: Hello everyone ! I'm unable to update Windows 11 on my laptop for the past few days. I keep getting the same error Error 0x80040154 again and again. I have tried several solutions as mentioned below: 1 Run Windows Update Troubleshooter Troubleshooter shows that problem is...
  6. Error 0x80040154 for 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Update Version 23H2 for x64...

Error 0x80040154 for 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Update Version 23H2 for x64...: Hello everyone ! I'm unable to update Windows 11 on my laptop for the past few days. I keep getting the same error Error 0x80040154 again and again. I have tried several solutions as mentioned below: 1 Run Windows Update Troubleshooter Troubleshooter shows that problem is...
  7. Bought Used Windows 11 Computer but Version 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bought Used Windows 11 Computer but Version 21H2: Well I got a windows update 04-24-2024 but it was only 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64- I was not aware of the Version prospect of the PC Any advice would be helpful will it be possible for me to update this pc to Version 23H2? will this pc stop getting...
  8. Bought Used Windows 11 Computer but Version 21H2

Bought Used Windows 11 Computer but Version 21H2: Well I got a windows update 04-24-2024 but it was only 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64- I was not aware of the Version prospect of the PC Any advice would be helpful will it be possible for me to update this pc to Version 23H2? will this pc stop getting...
  9. Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad: I have the notepad exec but when I try to open saved notepad it asks what program to open it, it was working yesterday but not today. I have Windows 11 23H2.I have checked answers to the notepad topic but these are how to get it where as my problem is that it no longer opens,...
  10. Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad

Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad: I have the notepad exec but when I try to open saved notepad it asks what program to open it, it was working yesterday but not today. I have Windows 11 23H2.I have checked answers to the notepad topic but these are how to get it where as my problem is that it no longer opens,...