Windows 10: New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS

Discus and support New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Upgraded Windows 8.1 then clean install. No problems, activated. Was checking my C: drive and the folders $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fjk61011, Aug 8, 2015.

1. fjk61011 Win User

New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS

Upgraded Windows 8.1 then clean install. No problems, activated.

Was checking my C: drive and the folders $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS have appeared. There is an install.esd there dated 9th of August.

Any ideas what's going on? Service Release 1?

Francis

Dublin, Ireland.

:)

fjk61011, Aug 8, 2015
  2. RWOne Win User

That is from your windows 10 install ...

If you use disc clean up and take the extra step to clean system files and then you can choose to remove thru that.

RWOne, Aug 8, 2015
  3. fjk61011 Win User
    They weren't there yesterday. Why would the install.esd be dated 9th August?. I cleaned installed on 30th July

fjk61011, Aug 8, 2015
  4. New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS

The date may have been changed by an update that ended up only going on ? today? The installation of the update accessed the file as part of the installation of that. This would seem to happen if you have the updates set to check for newer and install automatically which is the default setting.

Night Hawk, Aug 8, 2015
  5. fjk61011 Win User
    Lazy sunday here. Think I'll run setup and upgrade and check the delta number

fjk61011, Aug 8, 2015
  6. I don't have these on mine

But is it possible if tomorrows patch is large they are going to start sending it out early to machines, like they did when 10 came out

paulsalter, Aug 8, 2015
  7. fjk61011 Win User
    string in Registry is 10240.16412.......

fjk61011, Aug 8, 2015
  8. New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS

Did you use the Media Creation Tool to download an ISO or create bootable media? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 I do believe that's where the $Windows.~WS folder comes from, and it also uses the $WINDOWS.~BT folder, and creates it if its not already there. Disk cleanup will get ride of the $WINDOWS.~BT folder. The other one I'm pretty sure I had to delete manually.

alphanumeric, Aug 8, 2015
  9. swarfega Win User
    Before you remove that folder, you might want to convert the install.esd file thats in there to an iso so you have a copy of your current Windows 10 installation.

swarfega, Aug 8, 2015
  10. Why not just use the MCT to create an ISO? Same thing right? IMHO using the MCT to create the ISO is the easier method.

11. fjk61011 Win User
    Hello, I'm back.

Build string still 10240.16412..........

fjk61011, Aug 8, 2015
  12. Go for it just in case that is the reason. We still quite know enough about the updates for the RTM we can expect to see since security updates as well as OS fixes and other things are still to come. With a clean install seen to early on you can always keep the flash drive as the means to repeat the process of a clean install as well as for troubleshooting purposes while if you didn't already see to it you might to make up a Recovery Drive since sometimes you can't get into the F8 boot options as far as the recovery options go.

It's interesting you mention the patch since a blog on 10 not by anyone at MS however had links for the 32bit and 64bit version of what is supposed to be the patch with some 1000 fixes? I still have to try that out when getting into the drive I saved that to! And the word on that download is...... *Banghead*Banghead*Doh
    *Rolleyes It figures!

New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS [​IMG]

Night Hawk, Aug 8, 2015
  13. fjk61011 Win User

OK, $WINDOWS.~BT is gone after the upgrade.

$Windows.~WS is still there and has install.esd in the $Windows.~WS\windows \sources directory and installx64.esd in the $Windows.~WS\sources directory.

Which one should I use to make a usb or an iso?

fjk61011, Aug 8, 2015
  14. Kyhi Win User
    No, they are not the same thing really..
    The media tool creates the setup media with a MediaMeta.xml file
    Depending on which install.esd is used.. As there are two - a single image esd and a 4 image esd

extracting the four images from the esd results in setup media, but the difference is
    you get an unlocked install.wim

15. Ok, fair enough. But for the average Joe that just wants install media in case they need to reinstall, does it really matter? MCT seems the easier method, with less to go wrong, to create your install media? It would be what I recommend doing.

Thema:

1. New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS - Similar Threads - folders $WINDOWS ~BT

2. what is $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW: when I'm verified the fille I saved in disk C I see $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW file I never see it.shoud I delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-windowswswindowsbt-and-avasw/5e83ce40-70ac-4641-9aa1-301694d08848
  3. what is $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW: when I'm verified the fille I saved in disk C I see $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW file I never see it.shoud I delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-windowswswindowsbt-and-avasw/5e83ce40-70ac-4641-9aa1-301694d08848
  4. $WINDOWS.~BT Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    $WINDOWS.~BT Folder: Hello, I noticed that there is $WINDOWS.~BT 20kb disk size Folder and ESD folder which i have deleted because its empty on my system? Is it created because i ran the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool? Is it safe to delete since I'm done downloading the Windows 10 ISO?...
  5. $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    $Windows.~BT folder: After upgrading mother board windows changed the file system on all drives not the boot drive to $Windows.~BT folder. How do i get my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windowsbt-folder/4a350342-ad66-4f02-af41-4090c3dfb7fa
  6. How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS: I'm having a hard time deleting these. Can you help me with it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-windows-bt-and-windows-ws/f8114f56-c673-427c-b203-04d69552d0ea"
  7. Is it possible to create Windows ISO from $WINDOWS.~BT / $Windows.~ws

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to create Windows ISO from $WINDOWS.~BT / $Windows.~ws: Hi, I was trying to upgrade to windows 10 from my Window 7 PC. I downloaded it using Media creation tool. However, unfortunately, the upgrading process failed and I end up with Windows 10 couldn't install. I tried to run the setup again using the $Windows.~WS folder saved...
  8. $Windows.~BT & -WS file folders & best way for a fresh install

$Windows.~BT & -WS file folders & best way for a fresh install: I discovered today that these 2 file folders were installed on my HP 6000 Pro Win10 computer --- I plan on waiting to see how long it will take for them to naturally be automatically removed --- After reviewing the rest of this post, if it makes sense to get rid of them...
  9. $Windows.~WS folder deleting

$Windows.~WS folder deleting: hello I tried to download win10 twice with media tool but it reached ~75% and then its just gone without any error ... however this is not the problem I think the downloaded 75% are still stored on my C drive because i have a folder called $Windows.~WS its empty (there is...
  10. windows bt folder

in Windows 10 Support
    windows bt folder: I've just noticed this; a $WINDOWS.~BT folder has showed up in my local disk (C drive). It's dated 9/11/2017. I've never seen one in there before....so why is it in there now? 94083