Windows 10: New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in

Discus and support New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I tried to see Skype Video on Windows 10. Huge mistake. It asked me for a Windows Account. (I just finished understanding what Google Account means).... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ikhadduri, Jun 10, 2016.

1. ikhadduri Win User

New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in

I tried to see Skype Video on Windows 10. Huge mistake.
    It asked me for a Windows Account. (I just finished understanding what Google Account means).
    I happened to have a Windows Account. I entered it and it accepted it.
    It then asked that I must also change the password that I use for my profile on my desktop.
    I obliged and sacrificed my simple password as it required a strong password.
    So now I have a Windows password and my strong user profile password.
    I rebooted. Big headache for the past two hours.
    Neither passwords worked to let me in my profile (which has Administrator privilege).
    I logged in as Administrator, went to Control Panel, Users accounts, hoping that being logged in as Local Admin, I can change the password of my profile. I can see my profile user account, but there is no way to change its password, only to delete or change to ordinary user.
    I changed my Windows account password via my mobile.
    Still, I can't log in to my profile.
    Would somebody kindly help? or should I just dump Windows 10 and move on to Mac?

:)

ikhadduri, Jun 10, 2016
  2. Bill A57 Win User

Windows 10 cannot switch to a local account error code 0x80004005

Problem Solved!

I went online and changed the password to my Windows Live account. Then went into my user profile settings and used the new password to log out and then login locally. I was successful in creating my local login. Then I logged out, then logged back in as
    a local user, then I logged in to Cortana using the new Windows Live account password and was successful as Cortana recognized the account.

Bill A57, Jun 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Error Code 0x80004005 When Switching to Local Account

I am getting the same issues and error codes as the rest of you.

I can't log in to windows 10 with my Microsoft account most of the time, computer just hangs. I had to create new user account.

On the rare occasion I can log in with my Microsoft account I can't change it to a local account for the reasons stated in this thread. Really hope Microsoft sort this out!!

jamie sidford, Jun 10, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi ikhadduri and welcome to Tenforums.

You say you can log in as an administrator - can you perform a System Restore to get things back the way they were?

simrick, Jun 11, 2016
  5. ikhadduri Win User
    Thank you, SimRick. It should have occurred to me. It must old age.
    I have my profile back (BTY, it is the original name that I had and not my full name that Windows account changed it to).
    Now back to the drawing board and uprooting Edge to replace it with Chrome. That experience was like pulling a wisdom tooth without anesthetics.
    Thanks again.
    I thought I earlier saw a box to close this thread. I don't see it here.

ikhadduri, Jun 11, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Great! Yes, you've marked the thread as "solved" - that's all that is needed. Threads are only "closed" by moderators, if necessary.

In the future, you may find that Windows will ask you to log in with your MS account to use features (such as apps from the Store). In this case, look very carefully for a link in very small print, which will say something like sign in only to this app. That will keep your local account from switching to a MS account on the entire system.

If it does get you in the future, here is how to revert back:

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Cheers!

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in - Similar Threads - Account changed local

2. Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.: A repair place replaced my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 11 Home to my desktop. They created my first initial and last name as the local account administrator. I want to sign into my Microsoft account and cannot. I did the following, but it didn't work: I went to...
  3. Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.: A repair place replaced my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 11 Home to my desktop. They created my first initial and last name as the local account administrator. I want to sign into my Microsoft account and cannot. I did the following, but it didn't work: I went to...
  4. Change default log in screen to local user account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default log in screen to local user account: [ATTACH] Hello, I need help on changing the default log in screen using Windows 10 Pro. By default, Windows 10 will display on the log in screen the last user account that used the computer before shutdown. In my case, I want the log in screen to display the administrator...
  5. can't access my local user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't access my local user account: I'm not good with English so bear with me. So recently my antivirus that came with my laptop expired and a blue screen came up telling me to either renew it or okay, i clicked okay and then it took me back to my desktop andall my programs and files was lost, only a clean...
  6. Changing to a local user account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing to a local user account.: Hey guys, I am thinking of changing to a local user account. My main questions is, when there is a windows update (1809 to 1903) would my personal settings be still there when i upgrade or will I have to redo my settings? Also, if I change to a local account, would that...
  7. can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user": when I create a new user account I can't log into it error: profSvc service failed I saw posts about changing something in C;/Users/Default User But I don't seem to have such a folder. I defined view settings to show hidden files and also system files, but I don't see...
  8. Can't change to local account

Can't change to local account: When I try to change to a local account on my 10 machine I get this message "The password you entered isn't complex enough to meet this PC's requirements. Please go back and try a password that contains numbers, letters and symbols" The password does contain letters,...
  9. Can't create a new local user account

Can't create a new local user account: I use a local Administrator level account, not a Microsoft account and am trying to create a new local user account to do some testing, but it doesn't work. When I click on Add someone else to this PC, I get a grey box for a second which goes away and that's it. No error,...
  10. Can't log out of local account

Can't log out of local account: For a couple months I've had a single account without password protection - never had to purposefully log out - just shut down. I added another account a couple days ago. Now the PC hangs up with a blank screen for about 5 minutes when I try to log out. Eventually the PC...