Windows 10: Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows

Discus and support Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows How to Enable or Disable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows

How to: Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows

When administrator account before starting a program or task that requires a full administrator access token. This prompt ensures that no malicious software can be silently installed or run.

With the Always notify or Default secure desktop when you get an elevation request by the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.

A user that is a member of the Administrators group can log on, browse the Web, and read e-mail while using a standard user access token. When the administrator needs to perform a task that requires the administrator access token, Windows 10 automatically prompts the user for Y/N approval. This prompt is called an elevation prompt for UAC consent prompt.

The user experience for standard users is different from that of administrators in Admin Approval Mode. The recommended and more secure method of running Windows 10 is to make your primary user account a standard user account. Running as a standard user helps to maximize security for a managed environment. With the built-in UAC elevation component, standard users can easily perform an administrative task by entering valid credentials for a local administrator account. The default, built-in UAC elevation component for standard users is the UAC credential prompt.

See also: How User Account Control works (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

If you like, you can enable a policy that requires users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete when prompted by UAC to provide consent (administrators) or credentials (standard users) on the Secure Desktop by means of the trusted path mechanism for better security. This can prevent a Trojan horse or other types of malicious code from stealing the users Windows credentials.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable requiring Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop (aka: authentic Windows sign-in screen) for User Account Control (UAC) prompt for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable requiring Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt

Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 7/8/10 Pro, Windows 7/8/10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Credential User Interface

3. In the right pane of Credential User Interface in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Require trusted path for credential entry policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (disable) or step 6 (enable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Disable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\CredUI

EnableSecureCredentialPrompting DWORD

(delete) = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Ctrl+Alt+Del_Secure_Desktop_for_UAC_prompt.reg

Download

3. To Disable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Ctrl+Alt+Del_Secure_Desktop_for_UAC_prompt.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 8, 2018
  2. Josey Wales, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
  4. Bree Win User

Weird Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Login

The tutorial covers that too, see Option Three...

Note This option is not available in the Windows 10 Home edition since Local Security Policy is not included.

Windows 10 Home PCs can use Option One or Option Three instead.

Using Option Three below to disable will reset this security policy back to Not Defined. Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10

5. Eric Ber Win User
    ctrl alt del to logon

Hi Diane,

Conflicts with the user account settings is one of the possible reasons why the secure sign-in option is enabled on your computer even if the box in the settings is not checked. I would suggest that you enable and disable the
    Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. You can follow the steps below:

• Press the Windows key + R.
    • Type control userpasswords2 or netplwiz and press the Enter key.
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Under Secure sign-in, check the Require users to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete checkbox.
    • Click Apply.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Open the same settings again and uncheck the Require users to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete checkbox and follow the
      steps 5 and 6.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Sa5_00 Win User
    Enable Secure Sign in with Ctrl Alt Delete Windows 10 Pro

I am trying to enable the secure sign in (ctrl + alt + delete) with 'netplwiz' command, the checkbox is grey out then I tried with group policy gpedit.msc. Once I disable the 'Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALE+DEL' option, it seems all working
    when I lock the PC with Win Key + L. But when I restart the windows, I can see the ctrl + alt + del screen then after ~2/3 seconds it turns to the normal login screen. And I check the 'Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALE+DEL' option change back to
    'enable' automatically. Any idea what might causing this?

Sa5_00, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure

2. ctrl alt delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ctrl alt delete: Hello Microsoft peopleI have a question is using control alt delete to shut down your PC have any side effects, Or does it work just like a regular shutdown? My friend was having problems with his PC, and I thought that might be it. If you shut your PC down improperly enough,...
  3. ctrl alt delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ctrl alt delete: Hello Microsoft peopleI have a question is using control alt delete to shut down your PC have any side effects, Or does it work just like a regular shutdown? My friend was having problems with his PC, and I thought that might be it. If you shut your PC down improperly enough,...
  4. I want to enable secure login but I do not want to display the prompt to press ctrl+alt+del...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to enable secure login but I do not want to display the prompt to press ctrl+alt+del...: I think it's a better idea to not prompt others to help them login. Ideally, I want to change the secure login keys to be customizable. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-enable-secure-login-but-i-do-not-want-to/3ecf1ef4-dd81-417d-a9b9-768d599372e8
  5. ctrl+alt+delete

in Windows 10 Customization
    ctrl+alt+delete: ctrl+alt+delete[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E4%B8%BA%E4%BB%80%E4%B9%88%E6%8C%89ctrlaltdelete/56e61828-5b0a-4cc2-a5b0-a9f6a8d1d39f
  6. CTRL, ALT + DELETE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CTRL, ALT + DELETE: CTRL, ALT + DELETE Microsoft 10, programmers, managers, CTO, and CFO. The worst machine, I have ever owned. 1. Driver compatibility issues. Microsoft Drivers!!! 2. Slow internet connections. 3. HP Support Assistant drivers are not for pro computers, even though...
  7. Ctrl Alt Delete not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl Alt Delete not working: My Win10 HP laptop freezes often and when attempts are made to use Ctrl Alt Delete it no longer works-period- .. All I can do is power off .. there is no workaround so far that I have found. PLEASE HELP!...
  8. Weird Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Login

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Login: Somehow, Secure Login was turned on and I cannot seem to turn it off. Not sure if a windows update enabled it or not. So far, I've tried the registry edit of Disable CAD, I've tried netplwiz and under advance, however that option is greyed out and cannot click off the option....
  9. Enable or Disable Dimmed Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Dimmed Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Dimmed Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows How to Enable or Disable Dimmed Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows When administrator account before starting a program or task that requires a full administrator access token. This prompt...
  10. Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10 [img] Information It's important to keep your PC as secure as possible. One way to do this is to enable secure...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Prompt for credentials on the secure desktop Ctrl alt delete