Windows 10: Undo a System Restore in Windows 10

Discus and support Undo a System Restore in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Undo a System Restore in Windows 10 How to Undo a System Restore in Windows 10 system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Undo a System Restore in Windows 10

How to: Undo a System Restore in Windows 10

How to Undo a System Restore in Windows 10

system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if your PC isn't working well and you recently installed an app, driver, or update.

Each restore point contains the necessary information needed to restore the system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and generated when you Restoring wont affect your personal files in your %UserProfile% folder, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was created.

If a system restore didn't have the expected results you wanted, you can undo the restore point to return your system to how it was before doing the system restore.

This tutorial will show you how to undo a system restore to return your system to how it was before doing the system restore in Windows 10.

*note A system restore cannot be undone until after is has completed.

*Warning If you did a system restore while in safe mode, it cannot be undone.

*Warning If you did a system restore from the System Recovery Options menu, it cannot be undone.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Undo a System Restore at Boot
    1. Boot to advanced startup options.

*Warning If you boot to advanced startup options from within Windows 10, you must be signed in as an administrator to undo a system restore.

If you boot to advanced startup options from your Windows 10 installation media, you do not need to be an administrator to undo a system restore.

2. Click/tap on Troubleshoot. (see screenshot below)

Undo a System Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Advanced options. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on System Restore. (see screenshot below)

5. If you booted to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. If you booted to advanced startup options from within Windows 10, click/tap on an administrator account you want to provide credentials for. (see screenshot below)

A) Enter the password for this administrator account, and click/tap on Continue. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

8. Select the restore point that has Undo for its "Type", and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can click/tap on the Scan for affected programs button to see what will be affected by undoing this restore point.

9. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

10. When ready to start, click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

11. When system restore has completed successfully, click/tap on Restart. (see screenshot below)

*note This may take a while to finish.

12. When you sign in to Windows 10 next, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Undo a System Restore in Windows 10

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.
    1. Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for how you would like to open System Restore.

2. Open the step 5 below.

3. Open the step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Open the step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the System protection link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the System Restore button. (see screenshot below)

7. Select (dot) Undo System Restore, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can click/tap on the Scan for affected programs link to see what will be affected by undoing this restore point.

8. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

9. When ready to start, click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

*note This may take a while to finish.

11. When you sign in to Windows 10 next, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 21, 2018

2. System Restore Undo

My OS is Windows 10.

I know how to so a System Restore, but cannot find a way of undoing
    it.

Can someone please provide me with step by step instructions for undoing a System Restore.

Many thanks.

AnthonyStirling, Oct 26, 2019
  3. undo system restore

Yes in the system restore options there will be an Undo button to go back.

1. If you boot to advanced startup options from within Windows 10, you must be signed in as an administrator to undo a system restore.

2. Click/tap on Troubleshoot.

3. Click/tap on Advanced options.

4. Click/tap on System Restore.

5. If you booted to advanced startup options from your Windows 10 installation media, click/tap on your listed Windows 10 OS, and go to step 7 below.

6. If you booted to advanced startup options from within Windows 10, click/tap on an administrator account you want to provide credentials for.

A) Enter the password for this administrator account, and click/tap on Continue.

7. Click/tap on Next.

8. Select the restore point that has Undo for its "Type", and click/tap on Next.

See if that helps.

MikeSnyder61704, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Undo a System Restore in Windows 10

Unable to undo a system restore

You couldn't undo both anyway.

Undo System Restore in Windows 10/8/7/XP Without Data Loss [100% Secure] – EaseUS

It doesn't matter whether you are using Windows 10, Windows 8, 7 or XP. Here is a list of crucial information that you should be aware of:

• A data backup is highly necessary before undoing a System Restore.
    • A System Restore cannot be canceled if you did it in Safe Mode.
    • A System Restore cannot be canceled if you did it from System Recovery Options.

But read all the information there.

Bill Smithers, Oct 26, 2019
  5. How to undo a system restore in Windows 10?

Aw Come On! It happens I'm not a PhD in computer science. Just an ordinary guy trying to undo a system restore in Windows 10. All I see is gobbledygook here. Can you not provide me with simple instructions to do this operation, step by step?

Please try again and I will be forever grateful.

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Charles Phelan, Oct 26, 2019
  6. can't undo system restore for windows 10

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft community.

We understand that you would like to undo a recent system restore that you initiated. We will be glad to help you with this.

Please note that system restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time and not to an earlier version or edition of windows.

To assist you better, do let us know if you did the system restore in normal mode or in safe mode as you can only undo the restore if you initiated the system restore in normal mode.

If it is the latter, please proceed and follow the steps below to undo the system restore:

1. Right click on the start menu (Windows key + X) and select
    system

2. Click on system protection on the left side of the window.

3. Click on system restore button.

4. Select (dot) Undo System Restore, and click on
    Next.

5. Click on the Finish button.

6. Click on Yes to confirm

Note: This will immediately restart your computer to finish the system restore. After the computer has restarted and you opened the Desktop next, click on the Close button.

For steps on how to retrieve files from the Windows.old folder, you can refer here.
    (Also applies to Windows 10)

In response to your second query, please refer to this article by JW Stuart
    for steps to roll back to the previous operating system.

Note: Rollback option will not be available if:

1. Windows.old folder is changed or deleted

2. You reset your system.

3. A new user account is created.(You can delete the account and initiate the rollback)

4. You run disk clean-up

5. If it is more than 30 days from the time of upgrade.

Note: Once you initiate a rollback, you will have to reinstall all the programs on your computer.

Hope this answers your query. Do let us know if you have any windows related issues.

Wungraileng1709, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Undo a System Restore in Windows 10

1. Undo a System Restore in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Undo System Restore

2. Can't undo System Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't undo System Restore: Dear community,I hope you can help me out. My ASUS was working just fine, but I realized that my hard disk stopped showing up on my PC. I have an SSD installed, so most of my software was installed in the missing hard disk. After researching a bit online, I decided to give it...
  3. Can't undo System Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't undo System Restore: Dear community,I hope you can help me out. My ASUS was working just fine, but I realized that my hard disk stopped showing up on my PC. I have an SSD installed, so most of my software was installed in the missing hard disk. After researching a bit online, I decided to give it...
  4. Can't undo System Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unsuccessful undo restore

Unsuccessful undo restore: Yesterday I deleted a program and the folder then emptied recycled bin, I moved a few notepad files from folder to desktop before I deleted. I then reinstalled program and added files to folder. It didnt bring up the files so I did a system restore to 11.13.2020, and now I...
  6. Can I undo a restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I undo a restore?: In an attempt to recover a database file I lost I thought I would restore my computer to just a few days ago. (I know - trying to peel a banana with an axe...) The restore dialogue had Dec 1 2019 as the restore point date. I did it - but it took the computer back to day 1 -...
  7. Undo restore point

Undo restore point: I have lost Google e-mails and it seems lots of other stuff. Can you please help? Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undo-restore-point/9cb3414b-9ef5-4530-a731-56ec5c71f925
  8. Undoing a restore question.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Undoing a restore question.: A recent Win10 update screwed up several things on my computer. I restored to a point prior to the 7-11-18 update, but Windows said it was unable to complete the restore (unable to access a file -- likely due to an antivirus). However, the incomplete restore appears to have...
  9. how can to undo restore system

how can to undo restore system: I did restore system and I want to undo it.but there isn't undo system restore. also I haven't the restore point anymore. why I haven't this option? If there isn't this option in my system restore,how can I undo it? 105305
  10. How to undo restore

How to undo restore: I was having an issue with writing files, games were not saving. I made the bone headed move to do a restore back to old build and this did not work. I could not make or edit any files in documents, only folders. I think the issue is because something recommended signing in...