Windows 10: Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10 Locking your PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, May 31, 2016.

1. Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10

Locking your PC protects it from unauthorized use when you need to step away from the PC, and don't want to lock the computer, you will be taken to the lock screen by default to dismiss (unlock) and sign in when ready to continue where you left off. Other users can still sign in to their accounts from the sign-in screen.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Lock from the account picture menu on the Start menu for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove Lock in the account picture menu.

*note This will not affect users from being able to use other methods to lock the computer.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu using Power Options
    • Option Two: Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu using a REG file
    • Option Three: Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu via Group Policy using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Lock in account picture menu on Start menu

Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu using Power Options
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Power Options icon.

2. Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top. (see screenshot below)

4. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

5. Do step 6 (on) or step 7 (off) below for what you would like to do.

6. To Add Lock in Account Picture Menu
    A) Check the Lock box under Shutdown settings, and click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below step 7)

*note This is the default setting.

7. To Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu
    A) Uncheck the Lock box under Shutdown settings, and click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FlyoutMenuSettings

ShowLockOption DWORD

0 = Remove
    1 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add Lock in Account Picture Menu
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Lock_in_account_picture_menu.reg

Download
    3. To Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Lock_in_account_picture_menu.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu using Local Group Policy Editor

*note If enabled of disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One and Option Two.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four below to set this policy.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/File Explorer

3. In the right pane of File Explorer in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Show lock in the user tile menu policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (add), step 6 (remove), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Show Lock in Account Picture Menu
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Disable Show Lock in Account Picture Menu
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. Default Lock in Account Picture Menu
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu via Group Policy using a REG file

*note If enabled of disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One and Option Two.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

ShowLockOption DWORD

(delete) = default
    1 = Add
    0 = Remove

1. Do step 2 (add), step 3 (remove), or step 4 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Show Lock in Account Picture Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Add_Lock_in_account_picture_menu_by_policy.reg

Download

3. To Disable Show Lock in Account Picture Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Remove_Lock_in_account_picture_menu_by_policy.reg

Download

4. Default Lock in Account Picture Menu

Default_Not_Configured_Lock_in_account_picture_menu_policy.reg

Download

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, May 31, 2016
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Unable to remove the account picture, there is no option to remove the picture on Windows 10

Hi jimmy,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per the description I understand that you are unable to remove the account picture, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Where exactly are you referring to remove the picture?
    • Are you referring to lock screen?
    • Are you referring to remove the account picture from website?

I would like to inform that, if you are referring to remove the account picture from Microsoft website, you can log-in to the account, click on
    Edit name, and click on Change picture,
    Remove
    and click on Yes.

If you are referring to change the lock screen account picture, I would like to inform that Windows 10 is by design does not have an option to remove the picture once added, only you can change the account picture.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any further assistance with Windows Operating System. We will be happy to assist you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10

Remove user account picture on lock-screen.

I recently updated to Version 1903 and the usual tactics to get rid of the user account picture or default logo on the lock-screen are not working.

This is what I want to remove to the left of the red arrow:

I used the methods successfully outlined in this thread before; but now Microsoft has somehow devised a way to hide where the logo picture is located on the system ---------- here is that thread I am talking about:

Remove User Account Picture

I have even deleted the accounts SID folder that was empty anyhow, and it still didn't make a difference as outlined here:

How to Change or Remove User Account Picture in Windows 10 / 8 | Password Recovery

Anyone know where to look for additional .png images to delete so the logo disappears from the lock-screen?

EyeInTheSky, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10

1. Add or Remove Lock in Account Picture Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Lock

2. Unable to add an account picture

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to add an account picture: Hello, I just recently upgraded to WIN10 from a USB drive. During setup I was attempting to add an account photo but I keep getting the error message "setting the account picture failed. Please try again" I have read on other questions that users can navigate to the...
  3. Remove user account picture on lock-screen.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remove user account picture on lock-screen.: I recently updated to Version 1903 and the usual tactics to get rid of the user account picture or default logo on the lock-screen are not working. This is what I want to remove to the left of the red arrow: [img] I used the methods successfully outlined in this thread...
  4. Add or Remove Pictures Library in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Pictures Library in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Pictures Library in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Pictures Library in Windows 10 [img] Information remove folders and drives to be included in a library as you like. Windows 10 has the Videos libraries by default. The C:\Users\<user...
  5. Add or Remove Saved Pictures Library in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Saved Pictures Library in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Saved Pictures Library in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Saved Pictures Library in Windows 10 [img] Information remove folders and drives to be included in a library as you like. Windows 10 has the Videos libraries by default. The...
  6. Add or Remove Mount Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Mount Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Mount Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Mount Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information The Mount context menu allows you to mount ISO, IMG, VHD, and VHDX files as a virtual drive. This tutorial will show you how to add or...
  7. Add or Remove Sleep in Power menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Sleep in Power menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Sleep in Power menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Sleep from Power menu in Windows 10 Sleep uses very little power, your PC starts up faster, and youre instantly back to where you left off. You dont have to worry that you'll lose your work...
  8. Select Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Select Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10: How to: Select Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Select Context Menu in Windows 10 You can select one or multiple items in Windows to perform an action with. Normally, you could click/tap on the Home tab in File Explorer to be able to...
  9. Add or Remove Share Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Share Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Share Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Share Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you can directly share files using installed UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps such as Mail, Twitter, OneNote, Cortana...
  10. Send to Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Send to Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10: How to: Send to Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Send to Context Menu in Windows 10 The Send to context menu makes it easy for you to quickly send a copy of items (ex: files, folders, libraries) to Bluetooth device, Compressed (zipped)...