Windows 10: Manually Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

Discus and support Manually Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Manually Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 How to Manually Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 Automatic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Manually Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

How to: Manually Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

How to Manually Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer.

This includes tasks such as software updates, Windows Updates, security scanning, and system diagnostics. This maintenance will run daily if you aren't using your computer at the time you've chosen. If your computer is in use at the scheduled time or maintenance is behind schedule, Automatic Maintenance will run the next time the computer is not being used.

The goal of Automatic Maintenance is to combine all background maintenance activity in Windows and help third-party developers add their maintenance activity to Windows without negatively impacting performance and energy efficiency. Additionally, Automatic Maintenance enables users as well as enterprises to be in control of maintenance activity scheduling and configuration.

This tutorial will show you how to manually start or stop Automatic Maintenance on demand in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to start and stop Automatic Maintenance.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Control Panel
    • Option Two: To Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: To Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Security and Maintenance icon.

2. Do step 2 (start) or step 3 (stop) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Start Automatic Maintenance
    A) Expand open Maintenance, and click/tap on the Start maintenance link under Automatic Maintenance. (see screenshot below)

Manually Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. To Stop Automatic Maintenance
    A) Expand open Maintenance, and click/tap on the Stop maintenance link under Automatic Maintenance. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

A) Copy and paste the command below in the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow MSchedExe.exe Start

A) Copy and paste the command below in the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow MSchedExe.exe Stop

OPTION THREE [/i] To Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

A) Copy and paste the command below in the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow MSchedExe.exe Start

A) Copy and paste the command below in the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow MSchedExe.exe Stop

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 31, 2017
  2. P4-630 Win User

Windows Maintenance never stops

I have "Idle Maintenance" and "Regular Maintenance" disabled in the Task Scheduler.
    Now it does not run anymore when idle.

I will defrag my hdd and optimize my ssd manually.
    I have scheduled windows defender anti virus scanning automatically once a week.
    I do windows updates manually.

I don't think that windows automatic maintenance when idle important is, or is it?

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Geosammy Win User
    Geosammy, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Rong Jie Win User

Questions about Automatic Maintenance

I know when my computer is idle, Automatic Maintenance will start to run automatically and when I start to use my computer actively again it will stop. But since my usual idle time is far too short for the whole process to run completely, defragmentation
    of my HDD (which is one of the first few steps in Automatic Maintenance) will never complete before I start using my computer, so I sometimes start maintenance manually through Control Panel. How often should I run it manually for best performance? Will overdoing
    defragmentation harms my HDD?

Also, I am curious about what are the steps carried out in Automatic Maintenance, all I know is defragmentation is definitely part of it.

Rong Jie, Oct 26, 2019
  5. P4-630 Win User
    Can I have a tray icon for automatic maintenance windows 10

The weird thing is, I have set the automatic maintenance at 12.00 since I have lunch at that time but it didn't run yet today ... Or perhaps it doesn't run everyday like on windows 8.1?

(I did set the windows module installer service to manual though but I don't think it has anything to do with this maintenance)

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Manually Start or Stop Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Manually Start Stop

2. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  3. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  4. Starting Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Starting Maintenance: I heard that if i start maintenance my pc will be a little more faster.....i tried....but it never ended......it was going on for almsot 6 hours or so.....pls help.....thank u...
  5. Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance: TL;DR Will automatic maintenance defrag my SSD? I'm running Windows 10 2004 19041.450. I'm thinking about running automatic maintenance at the end of each day to keep my system updated without having to go through the hassle of doing it myself. I'm concerned because I've...
  6. Automatic Maintenance

Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  7. automatic maintenance win 10

automatic maintenance win 10: i want to disable this feature how to do it? as i have new ssd if this defragments my ssd it may be bad for my ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/automatic-maintenance-win-10/833e5b55-d483-407f-8341-4606edf1e27d
  8. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  9. Am unable to stop automatic maintenence

Am unable to stop automatic maintenence: I can click the button, but nothing is happening. When I restart my computer, it's still running. https://i.imgur.com/2F4Dm4f.png I have tried going into task scheduler but the folder the tasks are supposed to be in, is empty. https://i.imgur.com/AxEWB46.png Is...
  10. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...