Windows 10: Delete a Service in Windows

Discus and support Delete a Service in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete a Service in Windows How to Delete a Service in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 A service is an application type that runs in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Delete a Service in Windows

How to: Delete a Service in Windows

How to Delete a Service in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

A service is an application type that runs in the system background without a user interface and is similar to a UNIX daemon process. Services provide core operating system features, such as Web serving, event logging, file serving, printing, cryptography, and error reporting.

Sometimes you may need to delete a service. For example, when installed software doesn't uninstall properly, and leaves its service in the Services list.

This tutorial will show you how to delete a service in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to delete a service.

*Warning It is not recommended to delete any default Windows services. Doing so could make Windows very unstable.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Delete a Service using Command Prompt
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type services.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Services.

2. Right click or press and hold on the service (ex: "My Example Service") you want to delete, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

Delete a Service in Windows [​IMG]

3. Make note of the Service name (ex: "Example Service") for this service, and close Services. (see screenshot below)

4. Open an elevated command prompt.

5. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow sc delete "Service Name"

*note Substitute Service Name in the command above with the actual service name (ex: "Example Service") from step 3 above.

For example: sc delete "Example Service"

6. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Delete a Service using Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type services.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Services.

2. Right click or press and hold on the service (ex: "My Example Service") you want to delete, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. Make note of the Service name (ex: "Example Service") for this service, and close Services. (see screenshot below)

4. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

5. Navigate to the registry key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below step 6)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    6. Under the Services key, right click or press and hold on the service name (ex: "Example Service") from step 3 above, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, close Registry Editor.

9. Restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 4, 2017

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 26, 2019
  3. bestellen Win User
    Deleting contacts from Windows 10

When you say Windows Mail Live are you referring to Mail app or Windows Live Mail?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Live Mail.
    • Press Ctrl + 3 using your keyboard. Right-click on the contact to delete it if it is a single contact.
    • Highlight all contacts by pressing Ctrl + A.
    • Click Delete located on the Ribbon bar.
    • Click OK when you see the message These contacts will also be deleted from Hotmail, Messenger, and other Windows Live services.

After following the steps above, all your contacts that you have manually added to your account will be deleted however, contacts coming from third-party sites such as Facebook will not be deleted unless you remove Facebook from your account.

For Mail app:

Open People app then delete the contact.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

bestellen, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Delete a Service in Windows

Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

I will try changing their settings sometime, the one thing I've noticed about this guide is that it doesn't list the Windows services that NEED to be left as local system, so some people might not be too sure what they're doing and worry about any that aren't listed. Just a suggestion that you might want to include in any future revisions. *Smile Delete a Service in Windows :)

The non-default ones I have that you have not listed are:

.Net Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
    Ati HotKey Poller
    ATI Smart
    AVG E-mail Scanner
    AVG7 Alert Manager Server
    AVG7 Update Service
    BlueSoleil Hid Service
    Bluetooth Support Service
    ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard
    iPod Service
    Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service
    Service Layer
    Windows Defender Service

The problem is that the only ones of these I actually use are The AVG and Windows Defender services and occasionally the "Service Layer" service (related to Nokia PC Suite) and the "Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service" (related to WindowsLive Messenger). Anyway, I'll see how much I can secure those and post back how I get on. I'll try to test it sometime this week just I'm a bit waring of changing the AVG settings because the only way to test if it was still working would be for a virus to be detected... and I' rather I didn't get viruses!

Jimmy 2004, Oct 26, 2019
  5. SamSs Service Deleted accidentally

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

• What was the last step you performed before deleting it accidently?
    • Check if you find it under Services?
    Follow the steps below to check the SAMSs.

1. Press
    Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Run.

2. Type
    services.msc. Click on Ok.

3. Then find
    SAMSs. Right-click on it to
    Stop it and Restart it.

If you do not find it in services, then I suggest you to try the steps below.

Scan for damaged system files. Right-click the Start icon and select
    Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt window, type
    sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Then type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and hit Enter.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Melvis Win User
    PC Cant Obtain a IP Address, Need some advice!

Step 1: Click START button
    Step 2: In the Search area, type "regedt32" (of course don't include the ""), right click on the search result and "Run as Administrator".

Step 3: Click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", should expand out to a list of stuff
    Step 4: Next choose "SYSTEM", should expand again
    Step 5: Choose "CurrentControlSet", expands again
    Step 6: Choose "Services", expands to a super large list of stuff

Step 7: Click on "Dhcp", the right window will show the files in that folder
    Step 8: Double click on "DependOnService"
    Step 9: Delete all the words in text area, except "Afd", and click OK. You are done here

Step 10: Next under "Services", look for "EapHost", this should be a few folders below Dhcp Step 11: Same thing, double click on the file "DependOnService"
    Step 12: Delete everything in the text are and click OK. You are done.

Now, close everything and RESTART WINDOWS. Your WLan should be back and working once your computer starts. Hope this saves you like it saved me. Thanks to original poster for the wonderful resolution. Your post was almost too obscure to find, but I'm glad this is SOLVED! I'll be spreading the word around to save people from the constant agony of WLAN SVC going balistic every time after a registry cleanup."

THIS^ FIXED IT!! yay thanks everyone!!

Melvis, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Delete a Service in Windows

1. Delete a Service in Windows - Similar Threads - Delete Service

2. The created file failed to upload by application service, also cannot modified or deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The created file failed to upload by application service, also cannot modified or deleted: On C:/program filesx86/Application_name folder, Application does not having full access to the created files.Application service can be able to create a file in the app's folder. The file created could not be modify/delete by the service. When the service tries to upload the...
  3. The created file failed to upload by application service, also cannot modified or deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The created file failed to upload by application service, also cannot modified or deleted: On C:/program filesx86/Application_name folder, Application does not having full access to the created files.Application service can be able to create a file in the app's folder. The file created could not be modify/delete by the service. When the service tries to upload the...
  4. The created file failed to upload by application service, also cannot modified or deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can anyone help my with deleting atuct / atruic service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can anyone help my with deleting atuct / atruic service: I tried to delete it but it says that i am not allowed to delete it. atuct service is taking up 80% of my cpu and my cpu temerature is also almost 100 C...
  6. Can anyone help my with deleting atuct / atruic service

Can anyone help my with deleting atuct / atruic service: I tried to delete it but it says that i am not allowed to delete it. atuct service is taking up 80% of my cpu and my cpu temerature is also almost 100 C...
  7. Why windows service marked for deletion ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why windows service marked for deletion ?: While trying to delete windows services, It fails with error "Service marked for deletion" on some time and the service remains in the console. Until the windows system restarted, Cannot proceed any action with that service. Once the system is restarted, The respective...
  8. Why windows service marked for deletion ?

Why windows service marked for deletion ?: While trying to delete windows services, It fails with error "Service marked for deletion" on some time and the service remains in the console. Until the windows system restarted, Cannot proceed any action with that service. Once the system is restarted, The respective...
  9. Can't delete the service and folder "SaplimitedCarasu"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete the service and folder "SaplimitedCarasu": Hello everyone,somehow I got a .exe running on my PC, but I never installed it or even had to do anything with it.I want to delete it, but it is always running, when I close the task, it opens immedatly. I tried to delete the registry, but I got also a message that I cant...
  10. Can't delete the service and folder "SaplimitedCarasu"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete the service and folder "SaplimitedCarasu": Hello everyone,somehow I got a .exe running on my PC, but I never installed it or even had to do anything with it.I want to delete it, but it is always running, when I close the task, it opens immedatly. I tried to delete the registry, but I got also a message that I cant...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to completely delete software windows 10 using regedt32