Windows 10: Newbie to Forum and Win 10

Discus and support Newbie to Forum and Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, a newbie here, though I have been lurking for a week or two. Today I took the plunge, created a bootable usb, downloaded the Win10 x64 iso,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KeithR, Nov 10, 2014.

1. KeithR Win User

Newbie to Forum and Win 10

Hi all,
    a newbie here, though I have been lurking for a week or two. Today I took the plunge, created a bootable usb, downloaded the Win10 x64 iso, copied to the usb and finally installed as a dual boot with Win 8.1.1 Pro. All done successfully thanks to Brinks excellent tutorials.

So far so good. I like what I am seeing on admittedly a so far very limited inspection. When I booted the system after installation, the boot options were "Tech Preview" or "Windows 7" - not a problem, but I would have expected to see "Windows 8". I will have to see if I can change that. However the Windows 7 option does boot into Windows 8, maybe a hang over from upgrading from 7 to 8 and not through a clean install.

One question - what are the pro's and cons of joining the Windows Insider Program? What sort of information are they likely to be interested in?
    Keith

:)

KeithR, Nov 10, 2014

2. How can I play Windows 7 FreeCell and Spider Solitaire on Windows 10

I am obviously in the wrong forum. Sorry to have wasted your time, Mr Long.

Pity, really. It would save your time if the forum made this clear to newbies (not computer newbies, but newbies to this forum)?

John van Someren, Nov 10, 2014
  3. Nokia Lumia 820 rebooting constantly after updating Nokia Music Player

but isn't this trick for win 7.8? does lumia 820 runs on this? newbie here...

kayrole2013, Nov 10, 2014
  4. adamf Win User

Hi there - you can rename it easily - follow post 4 from here Rename boot entry? - Windows 7 Help Forums

Not sure about the insider thing. It asked me to so I did. I thought it was required to download the iso but I guess not.

adamf, Nov 10, 2014
  5. Microsoft really doesn't say what them want.
    What I tell them in the Feedback is things that don't work and things new that do work and I like.
    Spend a little time reading the Feedbacks and you will get the drift.
    You will find a lot of likes and dislikes just reading threads on this forum.

Layback Bear, Nov 10, 2014
  6. Charlie Win User
    Charlie, Nov 10, 2014
  7. Hi

Welcome to the forums.

I too, have just kind of reported what I liked and don't and any problems that I've had.
    I have received a couple of short surveys in my mail that I responded to.

I've messed things up a couple of times, but I've restored to an image file and not made that mistake again.

I'll suggest that you install EaseUS TODO backup, and make periodic image files.
    I've made 14 so far and restored 5 times. I keep the last 3 or 4.

If you already have your own backup that's fine, but I find EaseUS super easy to use.
    It will make it's own restore disk, either Linux, or Windows PE.

It literally only takes like 3 clicks and selecting where you want it, to make a backup

When you start installing your software my preference it to not put it on the Windows 10 partition.
    I created a Windows 10 Software folder on another drive.

That makes it very easy to backup and restore the partition, (for me about 15 minutes each way) and this lets me experiment without worrying about screwing it up. LOL

It also protects against Microsoft making a mistake with some of the updates, as they have done on occasion.

Good Luck.

Mike

Ps. Best free backup software for PC/Laptop - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

MikeHawthorne, Nov 10, 2014
  8. KeithR Win User

Thanks for all your replies.

Charlie - I used option 1 bcdedit - it worked without any problem. Thanks
    MikeHawthorn - I have EaseUs Todo backup - nice bit of software.

Still a bit unsure about the Insider Program - great opportunity for snooping!

Keith

KeithR, Nov 11, 2014
  9. Charlie Win User
    Keith
    Welcome on the edit. Hope you enjoy your 10 install.*Cool

Charlie, Nov 12, 2014
  10. AddRAM Win User
    When you start installing your software my preference it to not put it on the Windows 10 partition.
    I created a Windows 10 Software folder on another drive.

Why ?

Is your software running from that folder after a re image ?

Oh Ya..... Welcome to Ten Forums Keith *Biggrin

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Newbie to Forum and Win 10 - Similar Threads - Newbie Forum

2. Help with batch files for a newbie.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with batch files for a newbie.: Hello and Happy New Year!I have a few files open upon log in to my windows account by using the shell:startup folder. This has been working well but I feel like instead of having to update this folder every week file names change every week due to having the date in their...
  3. Help with batch files for a newbie.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with batch files for a newbie.: Hello and Happy New Year!I have a few files open upon log in to my windows account by using the shell:startup folder. This has been working well but I feel like instead of having to update this folder every week file names change every week due to having the date in their...
  4. Help with batch files for a newbie.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Newbie Windows 10 PC will not update and shows 0x80248007 error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newbie Windows 10 PC will not update and shows 0x80248007 error: Hi, I have a Windows 10 PC that I use daily for work. I recently moved from the US to the EU so the PC was in storage for 5 to 6 months. It's been working fine but after adding a new EU printer I noticed it started showing this error message 0x80248007. I tried disabling...
  6. Newbie Windows 10 PC will not update and shows 0x80248007 error

Newbie Windows 10 PC will not update and shows 0x80248007 error: Hi, I have a Windows 10 PC that I use daily for work. I recently moved from the US to the EU so the PC was in storage for 5 to 6 months. It's been working fine but after adding a new EU printer I noticed it started showing this error message 0x80248007. I tried disabling...
  7. Newbie Windows 10 PC will not update and shows 0x80248007 error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. newbie to windows 10 got hp laptop as a gift along with other software paint shop Pro...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    newbie to windows 10 got hp laptop as a gift along with other software paint shop Pro...: how do i install any software lap top does not have a dvd drive just digital code nothing on corel website with 2022 version only 2023 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/newbie-to-windows-10-got-hp-laptop-as-a-gift-along/6ac666ab-c3ef-4328-9ed4-472af7125ebb
  9. newbie to windows 10 got hp laptop as a gift along with other software paint shop Pro...

newbie to windows 10 got hp laptop as a gift along with other software paint shop Pro...: how do i install any software lap top does not have a dvd drive just digital code nothing on corel website with 2022 version only 2023 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/newbie-to-windows-10-got-hp-laptop-as-a-gift-along/6ac666ab-c3ef-4328-9ed4-472af7125ebb
  10. newbie to windows 10 got hp laptop as a gift along with other software paint shop Pro...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade