Windows 10: Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows How to Enable or Disable the Boot Log in Windows In Windows, you can enable the boot log that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows

How to Enable or Disable the Boot Log in Windows

In Windows, you can enable the boot log that includes a list of loaded and unloaded drivers during the boot process. This information can be useful when you are trying to troubleshoot related issues.

The boot log is saved to the C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt file.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the boot log in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable the boot log.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Boot Log in System Configuration (msconfig)
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Boot Log in Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: Boot log (ntbtlog.txt)

Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Boot Log in System Configuration (msconfig)
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type msconfig, and click/tap on OK to open System Configuration.

2. Click/tap on the Boot tab in System Configuration, check or uncheck (default) the Boot log box in Boot options for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

3. If you made any changes, click/tap on Restart to apply. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Boot Log in Command Prompt
    1. Open an command prompt at boot.

2. Type bcdedit in the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*note Look for the OS (ex: "Windows 10") to the right of the description entry you want to enable or disable the boot log for.

Look to the right of the bootlog entry for this OS (ex: "Windows 10") to see if it is currently enabled (Yes) or disabled (No).

Make note of the identifier (ex: "{current}") for this OS (ex: "Windows 10"). You will need it for the command in step 3 below.

3. Enter the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Enable boot log)
    *Arrow bcdedit /set {identifier} bootlog Yes

(Disable boot log - default)
    *Arrow bcdedit /set {identifier} bootlog No

*note Substitute {identifier} in the commands above with the actual identifier (ex: "{current}") from step 2 above.

For example:

bcdedit /set {current} bootlog Yes

OR

bcdedit /set {current} bootlog No

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt in Windows, or restart the computer if you used a command prompt at boot.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 16, 2018
  2. WillRay Win User

Auto logging into disabled account Windows 10

I was able to fix this by doing the following:

• Boot up the computer, then kill the power after startup is complete.
    • Do step #1 again. (Two crashes within two minutes after startup will cause Windows to boot into Safe Mode automatically.)
    • You will be forcibly logged in to Safe Mode with the Administrator account.
    • Enable the Administrator account, and setup your normal account as needed.
    • Restart again, you will auto login as the Administrator account (which has now been enabled).
    • Log out of the Admin account, and log in with the normal account.
    • Disable the default Administrator account once again.

WillRay, Oct 26, 2019
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Oct 26, 2019
  4. 4747 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

Boot problems

Hi everyone.

I've got some problems during instalation. I disabled UAC, passed the first install step, rebooted and completed install. But after consequent reboot Windows detects 'ntoskrnl' or something is corrupted.

Everything was fine on 'old' windows, but after I made a clean windows installation, everything goes this way.

Any suggestions?

5. slim142 Win User
    How-to enable auto log-on in Windows 7?

I need the computer to boot and then automatically log into Windows 7.

The account would automatically log into a standard account (non-admin) with no password.

However, I also have another account in that same computer (which is an admin account).

If I was to enable auto log-on into this computer, how would I be able to log into the administrator account that I have later if it skips the log-in screen?

slim142, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 blank screen after boot-up....

reseat your gpu's disable crossfire

eidairaman1, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Boot

2. How to enable or disable Protected Event Logging in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Protected Event Logging in Windows 11/10: [IMG]If you want to enable or disable Protected Event Logging in Windows 11 and Windows 10, this step-by-step guide helps you go through the process. However, you must include an Encryption certificate if you want to enable Protected Event Logging in Windows 11/10. For your...
  3. How to Enable or Disable Debug logging for Netlogon service on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Debug logging for Netlogon service on Windows 10: [ATTACH]In today’s post, we will detail the steps on how to enable or disable debug logging of the Netlogon service on Windows 10, in order […] This article How to Enable or Disable Debug logging for Netlogon service on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  4. How to Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows 10: [IMG] Booting the computer system involves loading an operating system from the various boot devices like drivers, network, and USB drives when the computer is switched on. Once the startup sequence finishes loading the operating system, the system hardware will be [...]...
  5. Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows How to Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable on demand. The...
  6. Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows How to Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows When signs in to the new account for the first time. A sign in to Windows. A user's profile folder also contains...
  7. Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows How to Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows [img] Information The Fast Boot feature for UEFI motherboards has a Fast and Ultra Fast option that allows your PC to...
  8. Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Legacy F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10 By default, you can boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10. The Advanced Boot Options screen is the old black screen at...
  9. Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10: How to: Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10 How to Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10 Secure Boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is...
  10. Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC: How to: Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC Secure Boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is trusted by the PC...